The WWII 82nd Airborne Guys I met tonight

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Okay... first, a "public service announcement". The preliminary part of this story is "not my fault"! You know how there are rules... like; "there are no cheerleaders in baseball". And, to a bsaeball purist, indeed to one who aspires to be a sabremetrician, that rule is like all rules surrounding the legend and lore of baseball... "sacred". Well, also "sacred" to me is family. My youngest daughter, a 22yr old Geriatrics Social Worker, has been a dancer since she was two years old. She had her first professional gig at 10... performing in a major production of the musical Annie. She has been everything, Pop Warner Football Cheerleader, High School Cheerleader and (after a serious shoulder injury forced her to stop gymnastics and cheerleading she became) a "Pom". She went on to be a "Pom" at Southern Illinois University. After graduation she returned to dancing as an instructor at the studio where she studied. Then, an opportunity arose... one of our Chicago area minor league baseball teams, the Schaumburg Flyers, (here is the horror for me) has a "Pom/Dance Team" that performs at games. My daughter tried out and was made a member of the team (and a choreograher).

So, like all proud parents... I support my daughter by attending the games. I have had to accept that in the modern era there are cheerleaders (at least Dance Teams) in baseball now and I attend her games and beam with pride whenb she performs (though I still grapple with the sacriligious aspect of this activity). So, there I was with her Mom at the game when I was surprised to find out that a group of nine WWII Veterans, who all were from the 82nd Airborne were there to be introduced and honored on the field before the game.

I got to shake their hands and thank each one of them, personally. These men are genuine heroes... No steroids were used in creating their records; only their courage and willingness to defend us in the greatest struggle between good and evil to have ever befallen our tiny world. What a humbling moment for me to stand among these great men and know them for that brief moment.

Age and time had taken their toll to one dgree or another on each of them. A couple of them walked with a cane and a few were no longer able to stand straight. But, in that brief moment when I shook each of their hands, one by one, I saw in their eyes a steely spirit. It was readily apparent to me that these men were, when asked to do the job, fierce and fearless warriors for freedom.

We are losing these men by the thousands every day. Soon they will be gone from our presence. But, they will never be gone from my heart and memory. I will never forget this experience, never.

I have had the pleasure to thank a number of these brave warriors in the past. It was indeed a priviledge to do so. My service was during the Viet Nam era and not many were appreciative of it then. I also take the time to thank each and every man and woman serving today that I pass. I pray for them (and their families) each day.

*Side Note*

I attended a ballgame yesterday with my grown son (Father's day present from him). Before the game we all stood while a Lt. Col. swore in over a hundred new recruits. It was as awe inspiring as the National Anthem always is. It also recieved as loud a cheer as any that day.

Thank you all who are or ever have served!

I know what your saying I lost my dad In 1991,He was a tank commander under Patton and was busted and promoted so many times..but was all over Africa and Italy and some others I have been tring to get all his medals together from the army..Of course they say the fire distroyed the records..I have alot of his paper work. I send offf and they send me My awards that i never received got as whole big box full..I want my dads he got 5 bronze stars and about 20 more different ones..All I can say Is dad had fun In Italy,cocnac and wine I guess from Col to Lt to col again..Patton was something dad said..He loved a hero hated a coward...WW2 was alot like korea,vietnam the wars that didn't matter until later.WW2 everyone joined to show america Isn't afraid of anyone...We are a country that you just don't F%%667 With... God Bless the Troops..now and Then...JR

Very well written Greg! I would have loved to meet those gentlemen and have had a chance to chat with them for awhile...., even if they were 82nd. Airborne.:eek::)

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy,

In my world... "airborne is as airborne does"!!!! Seriously, I, too, would have loved to chat with them. But, unfortunately, it was before the game and I did not want to take anything away from their evening. I did discover that they had all served in the Division , either from about D-Day or shortly thereafter as follow on/replacements.

( a couple said they were in North Africa and Italy, earlier) as follow on/replacements.

Billy, I tried to relate what I felt. But, words do not convey it completely. You just knew that 60 years ago these guys were the real deal. I found this very short history on the internet and want to share it.
http://www.ww2-airborne.us/division/82_overview.html

Hey Greg,

Thanks for sending me that URL.. I have saved it for a closer reading another time. I was a little disappointed though as I intended to inform you as to how the 82nd. was formed, with the All American Division and the double A's and all of that. In the Airborne world the 82nd. has taken great pride in calling the 101st. the puking buzzards et al., and we were absolutely elated when we had the chance to call them "Almost Airborne" or the All A$$hole Division:lol: That caused a LOT of fights by the way.:rolleyes: But if a group of Legs said anything to members of either Airborne unit, both would stand for the other without fail.. Now, go get a book about the 101st. and Bastogne.:eek::cool:

Greg, mere words will never be able to relate what you really may feel about those guys and what they stood for. They were the greatest!! As for Airborne Troops and World War II, I have a really good friend who was in the 101st. during the Viet Nam War. He has worked for the Government for the last 30 years and travels all over the world. He told me that every time he was in Holland, and wore his 101st. lapel pin, he has never had to buy a drink or a meal. Everywhere he goes he's treated as a king and he says the most beautiful places over there are the cemeteries that contain the American fighting men, especially the men of the 101st. Airborne. He said that every Sunday the locals would pack a picnic lunch, get their special tools together and head for the cemeteries where the graves would be taken care of before they sat down and ate. Amazing..

Thanks again Greg..

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back