The End is Near

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Rumors flying rampid at work today. I usually don't worry too much but I heard from more than one reliable source that our organization will be cut by at least 30%. The percentages varied from source to source but that was the lowest. And lots of jobs going over to India. Let's see, they brought our new CIO over from India a few months ago to run our organization. Hmm, think that might mean something since he has been running the India office. In summary, my chances of getting it this round are VERY high.

I've never lost a job. I was told today I better come up with a "Plan B". How do you plan for this? I figure I can make it on half of my current salary. The boat, jet ski, and Harley are paid for so I could sell those. I still have property in Indiana I have for sale but I can't control that. Will make a nice profit if it ever sells.

Anyway, the IT market in Nashville is next to nothing. Not very many companies here use SAP software so my big money making skill is out. I suppose I could resort to being a business analyst type if I had to but.....I would really like to get out of IT all together. And do what???? I have no idea. How does one figure that out?

Start a business? but what? Go back to school? but for what? Mow grass? I would love to be outside. No desk job anymore. But what? I'm rambling but I really have no idea what to do or think.:wacko:

Teri, Are you tied to nashville? If not shop around, it's a big country with plenty offer a person with your skills.

Good Luck how ever it shakes out.

BF

I really am not tied down except for a house but I like Nashville. I don't care to leave if I don't have to.

Dang Teri, sorry to hear that. I walked in on Monday and was asked if I had seen the email from the boss by our receptionist. I pulled it up, I took a 20% cut in salary, no 401k matching, and he cut my vehicle allowance. I guess I am blessed as we just got one daughter graduated from college last weekend, but I did buy the new Z-7. An unfortunate sign of the times.

But at least you will have a really cool depth finder/GPS to play with!

There is 3 aircaft manufactures in Wichita that uses sap. The employement picture is about like your location. Kind of funny, I had my second training class this week. I don't know if it would do anygood to try them, but it can't hurt. Good luck.

With SAP skills, likely it wouldn't be that difficult to find another position. But, as you have stated, finding a position in Nashville, might be a problem. Many, many companies now ONLY want to interview someone that is Local. I have experienced this. I changed the dynamic, and now have more activity going on.

If interested, let me know and I'll be glad to share via email - what I have experienced and my 'solutions' to the problem.

Most of all, you need to decide what your short term and long term objectives are - and then put some type of plan together to achieve them. If the goal is not clear, it will seem more like being an active player inside of a 'pin ball machine'.

Postscript: Don't worry about what you cannot control, it won't help the situation at all. Concentrate on what you have control of.

Tex

Welcome to my world.............and you're a LOT younger than me too!!! I DO NOT want to start over at this point!!!:angry: Let's just go fishin' and we'll cry on each other's shoulder's inbetween TOADS!!:rolleyes:

Dayum, this sucks Teru and sorry to hear this.....

Toads will def help in the short term!

I'm tellin' ya guys....it's gonna get a lot worse BEFORE it gets better.

I thought the "Messiah" was gonna fix this mess!!?? LOL They need to sell more "Obama water" at the airports and souvenier stands all over DC!! :wacko::blink:

Toxic - hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but there are precious few 'head hunters' left anymore. The dynamics of the Internet has changed the landscape mightly. I used to have 2-3 good ones I used in the 80's-90's. Most are no longer in business.

Most everyone (professional search firms and 'subscription services') now talk about turning one on to the 'hidden job market'. Hidden job market is another way of saying: 'If you pay me a fee, I'll give you tips on how to use Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, LinkeIn and such to contact all of your friends.'.

Tex

Teri, down here in Lafayette the economy is better than the national average. THey have jobs all over. If yoy prefer not to so the same thing, look down here. Maybe you will find something. The fishing is great and the food is outstanding, AAAYYYEEE!!

BArry from La.:)

I suppose I was rambling last night but I don't exactly know how to prepare for something like this. It doesn't help that I eat bad seafood last night and had to come to work with the herseys. I figured calling in sick right now is not an option. Sucks!

TMI...TMI!:lol:

Hang tough Teri....and BTW, there is NO preparing for it even if you know.

I am in IT also. My company just let people go this week. and supposedly more today and more next week.

From what I hear IT is safe as we support a wider range of people. but yes the feeling of not knowing sucks. Especiialy when your looking to buy your first home.

Well Good Luck Teri. If you do get laid off. Go Fisihng. cuz thats sure as hell what i am going to do..:D

I understand, Nashville is a good place to live. See if SAP can give you a list of Nashville area users, there are probably more around than you think. If they will give you the list you can use that in preparing your search list if you get "the word". You can start to get your mind prepared, and try to negotiate as much as you can during the exit interview portion. If they are well prepared you may not get anything more, but at least you go in knowing what you want to ask for. If you have a non-compete, try and get a release at that time not later. Also get everything in writing. If your boss told you to have a plan B, unfortunately it is probably coming.....if it is a co-worker who knows. I've been through this, and the "not knowing" is the worst part. Hang in there, whatever happens now is out of your control. An older gentleman told me once: Just remember all they can do is fire you, they can't eat you.

Teri, usually non-completes have a clause that if you leave for reasons of your own you cannot "as per outlined", but if it was for reasons of the company, layoffs etc... it should be null and void. If you have one look it over.

Like Berry said contact SAP to see who the users are. Not sure but a lot of companies support SAP and allow you to live in the service area too. Nashville is pretty centrally localized within the USA and is a good point. Also a lot of on line hiring services have tests you can take to tell you what other field you may be suited for if your having trouble figuring out what else you may want to do.

If you ask me, you should start your own topless bass fishing league. Bet you could get a cable channel to cover that one! LOL!

If I hear of anything I will shoot it your way!

Randy!

Terri, 'Don't let the bast**** grind you down'. I'm retired now, except for part time at BPS. Just remember that things are never as bad as they seem or as good as they seem. I've been through 3 situations where the company went out of business and always came out of it better than I was before. If you have to move you might consider the metropolitan areas of Texas, the slow down does not seem as bad here. Good luck and we'll keep you in our prayers.

Keep your head up and remember that you were looking for a job when you got that one. You're obviously talented in your career path with a personality that'll get scooped up out of the market quick. Just stay positive and don't sweat the small stuff! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!! ;):)

Teri,

There are still good SAP jobs out there. I live in Louisville, KY, and I am a Director of Technical Services and one of my departments is SAP Basis, at a large healthcare company. I was also the KY SAP Users Group chairperson. There are several companies in KY that use SAP, and I am sure in the TN.

You might want to go to the ASUG "America SAP Users Group" web site and get on the TN or KY forums looking for companies.

I don't know if you were doing functional or technical work, but send me your resume and I will forward it to people in my company and other companies in the Louisville area if your are interested.

Dan,

Teri - We have done a few layoffs this year, but as a large IT Services firm, some division/locations are always hiring specific skills. Check ibm.com and let me know if you see something interesting, I could do an internal referrence for you.

Having been through this a few times in my 20+ years in IT, best advice is always - regardless of the economy, ensure you have 6+ months of all costs in a savings account; Always keep your network of business contacts fresh, even the day you start a new job; Keep a positive attitude and you'll be fine.

Trep

If you have a chance to work for yourself, I highly recommend it. Whenever the topic of layoffs comes up around here, I talk myself out of it.

It's not for everyone, and it takes some getting used to, but if you're motivated and have a skill set that people want, there should be good opportunities for you to start your own business. SAP helpdesk? Training? Consulting? More general IT work?

Whatever happens, best of luck!

Sorry to hear the news 'Teri time to go pro all the way Huh? We just laid off three teachers one had her husband just get laid off too. They have a two year old. Our IT got it too.

Maybe Obama can impose some kind of tarriff on all companies that outsource to other countries.

fatrap

Thanks for all the support. It sounds like it's going to happen at the end of next month and no one is really sure who or what besides our organization will take big cuts. So, I guess I have some time to figure out plan B.

Teri don't wait to see what happens. Just like the tour and your advice to others that want to fish, sign up early! You have a skill so get it out and go for it!

Randy!

Hi Teri

I was laid off last June for the same reason ... offshoring jobs. So I had the best summer of my life since I was a kid. Fished a lot and caught my biggest large mouth to date, 6 lb 9 oz. Not bad for the Northeast. In Sept I did what I had been thinking about for years and started my own consulting business. It seems like one of the only ways to make a decent living while doing what I love with all of the offshoring going. Working for the man is about as bad as it gets these days and my hope is to never have to do it again. I couldn't be happier with starting my own consulting business.

Good Luck

Paul

BTW Teri

With your SAP skills why can't you look for contracts anywhere in the country? Typically that work can be done offsite with periodic customer site visits.

My specialty is design automation ... developing custom software applications for automating product design and configuration. I live in MA and have a customer in FL. I visit them once a month at most and it works out great.

Paul

Latest posts

Back