Job Update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey gang:

Thought it more appropriate to start a new thread versus continuing to tread on JR's. As some of you have guessed by my reply to JR on his new ride (funny how it looks like the old one!:D), I recently switched jobs this past summer (and in the interim, got in some great fishing on the Potomac!). In a nutshell, I was tired of being an outside consultant and joined the in-house team at Tesla Motors, Inc. Like the Company itself, my position is a pretty new concept for Tesla in that I'm the first Corporate employee based in Washington, D.C. I continue to work on environment and safety issues, but for one company versus several.

For those of you unfamiliar with Tesla, its a U.S. company (HQ in Palo Alto, California) that is in the business of producing electric powertrains and vehicles in the United States. Our current product is the Tesla Roadster, a two-seat sports car that goes 0-60 in 3.7 sec and has about 245 miles of range on a single charge. I've moved the picture posted on JR's thread to here.

IMG_0107.jpg

We also supply the battery pack and charge to the Daimler Smart EV and the Mercedes-Benz A-Class (in Europe only). Starting in 2012, we will be providing the battery pack, charger, power electronics and motor for the Toyota RAV4 EV recently unveiled at this year's LA Auto Show. In 2012, we will also start production and sale of the Model S - a seven seat sedan with class leading performance and range option up to 300 miles. Unlike the Roadster which lists at $125,000, the Model S will sell for $49,900 (after the $7,500 tax credit for EV's). Here's a picture of the prototype vehicle.

Model S 003.jpg

The Model S will be produced in the former NUMMI plant in Fremont, California (NUMMI was the joint venture between GM and Toyota). Tesla purchased the plant earlier this year.

For me, Tesla was the right company at the right time for all the right reasons. With half the U.S. deficit driven by oil imports and 70% of petroleum used in the transportation sector, helping to mainstream electric vehicles makes sense. Not only does switching to electric help the environment with zero emissions, it helps reduce our dependence on foreign oil - especially from countries that simply don't like us or our lifestyle. Reducing dependence also is a matter of national security in that we funnel less of our tax money to anti-U.S. countries and it keeps our brave fighting men and women from acting as the world's largest oil field security company.

So in a nutshell, I find myself working a lot harder for a lot less money, but at a company that wants to do the right thing by the U.S. while having little fun (in 3.7 seconds increments!). In the meantime, if anyone is in the market for a Roadster (or even a future Model S), give me a shout! (No, I don't get a commission) :)

Jim

Jim, finally can ask the questions and feel confident that I can get an honest answer regarding the electric scooters. Address these issues if you would:

The comment that it takes more energy to construct the batteries than the vehicles will save in a lifetime.

Replacement cost of the batteries.

Lifespan of the batteries.

Safety of the batteries in an accident, i.e., Hazmat.

Energy usage to charge the batteries read as the cost and pollution of the coal plant to produce the energy to charge the batteries outpaces the energy savings.

Disposal of the batteries.

These are things I've always wondered about. Kind of like how ethanol sounds good on the surface but in reality it is a disaster. Corn is food, not fuel!!:lol:

TOXIC

Tox - great questions and ones I asked as well prior to joining Tesla. Here is the skinny:

1. Replacement cost of the batteries.

Right now - lots of $$$!! No lie. The pack is a significant part of the cost. In fact, if you wanted to buy a replacement battery pack, the cost is about $36,000. That said, there are two things going in favor of the Tesla model. First, the battery pack itself is expected to perform well over time with a predicted lifespan of 7 years or 100,000 miles. That's not as much as some folks drive, but that's where the second factor comes in. Battery technology is rapidly improving. In fact, by the time we release the Model S in 2012, we will have reduced the costs in Kilowatt/hour for our battery pack by up to 60%. In real world terms, Tesla is so confident about the trajectory of battery pack cost drops, that with the purchase of a Roadster, you can pre-purchase a new battery pack at $12,000. That's 1/3 the cost of the pack's current list price.

2. Lifespan of the batteries.

We are constantly sourcing the best lithium-ion battery technology available. This means working with cell suppliers who happen to provide cells to the laptop manufacturers. As a commodity goods, that means that battery cell technology is constantly improving AND with costs being driven down.

3. Safety of the batteries.

Lithium-ion cells are incredibly safe. In fact, this link to the Tesla website explains much better the cell technology which uses no heavy metals and is fully recyclable.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mythbusters-part-3-recycling-our-non-toxic-battery-packs

In sum, the battery packs are non-hazardous (by EU standards as well as US) and can be legally landfilled (i.e., not treated as hazardous waste). Of course, as the link explains, the packs are too valuable even at end of life to simply throw away! They are fully recycled.

In the event of accident (there have been a few major ones!), the pack is fully protected and electrically isolated. Even then, the design of the pack (confidential and proprietary) is such that any thermal runaway is controlled and shunted safely away from the rest of the pack and vehicle occupants. Put another way, even if a single cell or three or a dozen, were to enter thermal runaway (nearly impossible due to individual cell monitoring and control by the on board computer), the effects are controlled and managed.

4. Well to Wheel (i.e., carbon footprint/energy efficiency). Of all the technologies out there, only Tesla EV's can claim to capture 88% of the efficiency of energy use in the vehicle. This link explains it far better than I could!

http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric/efficiency

Even when taking into account electricity from coal, electric vehicle still have a lower carbon footprint. When you take into account that there are a variety of sources of electricity other than coal (i.e., nuclear, hydro, solar/wind), the equation tips strongly in favor of electrics.

5. Disposal of batteries - see number 3 above.

In sum, but for costs and charge times, EV's make the most sense. Fortunately, both costs and charge times are solve-able hurdles versus the far greater challenges with biofuels, fuel cells and other alternatives.

Jim

Electric Outboard....that will go 80?

Jim It's a car I could own,,I may look more Into it..We have Bright auto here,I don't know much about It but It's something about elec vehicles,Also Magnaquinch was here before It packed up ,,they made the magnets for the elec motors...

I didn't want a vette.(unless It was another 66 427-435 conv) Everyone around me has a new vette...But that Is the first one of those I have seen..I like the speed..I am going to look Into It more next year..I am bought out this year...I think you made a great move...Nice company to be with at the start.

JR

Jim - Great stuff and great company! As i mentioned in the other post, my oldest started investing this summer to learn how the stock market works and we told him he needed to invest his savings in companies he had researched, had an interest in the product/service, and believed had a long term prospects (no day trading for the 13 yearold!! LOL). So he took 1/2 of his $$ into Tesla, and 1/2 into Ford.

Good luck! and email me anything (links and stuff) if you think a 13 yearold car buff might be interested in as he keeps up with Tesla.

Mebassn - its coming! The Model S will provide a platform for future vehicles like an SUV, truck or other design.

NDBass - Tesla is sticking with cars. That said, if some entreprenurial inventor wants to take one of our battery packs and convert it to run an outboard, we would sell packs to that inventor!

JR - let me know when you're ready! 2011 will be the last year of production for the Roadster. From there, Tesla is concentrating on the Model S and then the Gen III after that.

Toxic - competitors? Not really in the sports car segment. That said, there will be a slew of EVs coming in 2012. Believe it or not, Tesla welcomes the introduction of new EVs as this only helps support wider acceptance of the technology. Tesla's intent is not to go head-to-head with any of the large OEMs (Preston Tucker and Henry Kaiser demonstrated how difficult that is!). Instead, the goal of the Company is to demonstrate feasibilty with disruptive technology that showcases American ingenuity and know-how in a quality built package. To the extent this inspires a competitive response from others, we consider that a plus. In fact, I personally like that Bob Lutz credited Tesla with the inspiration for the Chevy Volt (see http://www.newsweek.com/2007/12/22/bob-lutz-the-man-who-revived-the-electric-car.html). Of course, this places pressure on Tesla to ensure we continue to lead in the area of innovation in terms of range, charging, cost and durability. A challenge we constantly recognize and push ourselves to meet!

Trep - I'll definitely keep you and Eli posted. For now, look for showcasing of the Model S technology at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show. From there, we're already looking ahead to the Gen-III vehicle, a smaller four door sports coupe (think BMW 3-series) in the $30,000 to $35,000 range to be targeted for 2015.

I personally loved Lutz's comment to Letterman when Letterman was ripping on the Volt, and DL mentioned that his Tesla cost $100,000 and he asked Lutz when GM would make a "premium priced car"...Lutz said,.."We already make a $100,000 car,.......it's called a ZR1" Ol Dave didn't have a comeback for that one!..LOL

Oh,..and when the interview was all over and Lutz answered every question that DL could throw at him as well as dispelling all the rumors and misinfo out there,...Letterman said,.."Wow,...How and WHEN can I get a Volt!"

Get in line Dave,...............get in line!!;)

Jim,

As long as the company keeps in mind that not everybody can afford to buy a 35K+ car/truck/SUV, then I think it could be successful and would consider it a viable option (the truck), price it too high and you lose a potential customer(s)

For the record, I'll take the black one in the 1st photo, may not be able to tow a boat, but will turn heads, no question about it. On to reality. I say that because I don't think most CEO's think like consumers, and for the most part miss the point. So, now that I have a direct line to a company that I've watched in envy for years, let me offer a piece of advice.

Stop pricing cars on the basis of the cost savings from not having to buy fuel, instead set the standard for what cars are capable of and let others "try" to follow. You have a technological advantage the likes of which only Henry Ford created. Be Henry Ford. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automoblie industry by comparing the investment in an automobile versus the cost of maintaining a horse for good reason. Its amazing that car prices and house prices can be comparable. Offer something greater for a reasonable investment until no one is left standing. After that, its okay to be in the battery business.

Take your platform, create mainstream vehicles (a Tesla version of the Eclipse would put Mitsubishi out of business, a Tesla version of the Camry would kill Toyota sales). Decide to be mainstream, and then execute relentlessly. The industry is there for the taking. Or.... sit in a niche with superior technology, profit from it until someone else trumps it and destroys you. History is waiting to be written.

As a final note, in hopes that this gets read, passed on, and seriously considered - I'm willing to take on this challenge as president and CEO to layout a strategy, address manufacturing and distribution issues, and take advantage of the opportunity that the Internet presents to fundamentally change how cars are sold. I just hope the black car is in the comp package.

Bring it on.

David

Great comments. Thanks guys!

David - pricing is based on costs, but barely. It's not about trying to maximize profits (afterall, Tesla has posted losses since inception); it's about mainstreaming the technology while keeping the Company alive. Think of Tesla as putting out the cell phone of the 1980's. The "brick" was a technological marvel that very few folks could afford at $3,000/pop. Yet those early adopters that could afford it helped proved the viability of the concept. That money funded the R&D to further the technology to the point where we now enjoy Apple iPhones for $300. Tesla is working towards the same thing where we are moving down the price curve as the technology matures, costs are reduced and production volume increases.

As for the CEO position, Elon Musk doesn't plan to give up his post anytime soon!

Latest posts

Back