Happy Thanksgiving! What will you be doing?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, probably should start this early as so many will be driving/traveling/doing over the next week.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Family, friends, other?

What is the one item (other than the Turkey or Ham) that you simply have to have on Thursday - or it wouldn't be Thanksgiving?

What dessert do you absolutely have to have?

What is your contribution to the meal (just eat - help organize - do what your told - all on your shoulders)?

When do you eat the main meal?

How many football games will you be watching (what is the one game you won't miss)?

For me, we are staying home (in our new home!) and hosting family from my wife's side of the family (her brother/wife; his son/wife/daughter - 2 1/2). We will eat around 11:30AM since my nephew has to work on Thursday afternoon/evening.

I am always in charge of the Turkey and the dressing/stuffing. This year, it's cornbread dressing and we won't 'stuff' the bird. We are going to 'brine' this year, and try a new recipe.

For me, the 'thing' that I need or my meal won't be complete, is the stuffing/dressing with my home made giblet gravy. Most years, it's my own recipe of a traditional bread dressing with some add-on's that I like (wild rice and mushrooms as additions). About 1 in 5 years, I do a cornbread dressing. New recipe this year that looks real good.

Pumpkin pie with whip cream. Mom used to make Mince Meat - but no one other than me likes it so I don't bother.

Football consists of the Cowboys and of course the must watch game is the A&M / Texas matchup.

Best wishes for a simply wonderful (and safe) Thanksgiving to everyone! :D

Tex

Just me, the wife and both daughter's this year!! No traveling!! I'm in charge of the bird(s) and the dressing,....Julie's doing the green bean/mushroom soup casserole, Jamie's doing a pumpkin roll and pie for dessert, and Kathy's doing the garlic mashed potatoes and gluten-free gravy!

We're doing a 14lb turkey in the oven and I have 2 whole pheasant's that I will cut in 1/2 and slow roast them on the grill outside, bone side down. I'll glaze those with orange marmalaide jelly just before they're done! :wub: Dinner will be ready by 430pm, since we'll all be watching the Lions at 1230. Pumpkin pie is my "gotta have" after dinner, and during the game, I'll have a couple beers (Heiniken light) and some smoked oyster's!! BOOOYAH!! :wub::D

Mac,

Just a note. My wife and I absolutely abhore the standard green bean/mushroom soup thing. Just been served too many times. However, she found a new recipe that gives you a side dish resembling the standard fare, but turns out much better. That is one of her main contributions to the meal on Thursday - along with a sweet potato/carrot casserole with pecans and mini-marshmellows on top.

The 'Pheasant' sounds great.

Tex

I really hate to be a downer but the Holidays are gonna be a little low key this year. My wife's father passed and he always came to our house. If he didn't then my Mom would, she's passed, if she didn't, my father would, he's passed as well. With her grandmothers passing (both maternal and paternal) we are left with only 1 in law between the 2 of us. My Mpother-In-Law. She would be welcome but she won't leave my wife's younger brother (he's late 30's) alone during the Holidays. Loooong story. Make no mistake, we'll make the best of it and I'll be in a food coma by 5 but I am getting to the age where I have seen a lot of relatives pass on and some of the tradition goes with them. I also had a good friend of mine pass away in Florida while I was there. He was younger than me. I have a lot to be thankful for but I have a lot of reflecting to do as well.

TOXIC

We rotate holidays with my wife's sister, so this year Thanksgiving is at their house. I'll have Christmas dinner. The only thing I have to worry about is a couple bottles of wine. I will have my family over for breakfast on Thanksgiving and that will consist of a platter of bacon, sausage, fresh kielbasa and fried ham (my dad calls it a "mighty fine plate of meat",) eggs, buckwheat pancakes, home fries and toast.

I have to have apple pie. It is my all time favorite.

Going to my Dad's on Wednesday with my wife, daughter and sister. A couple of other relatives coming Thanksgiving Day. I'll probably take the kids fishing at the pond for a couple of hours to get them out of the house on Thanksgiving. I have to work on Friday so have to head home Thursday evening. Weather looks nice hear for the weekend here, so I may try to hit the water on Saturday.

Steve

My sister is hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year, we rotate it between me, my sister and my mother's house. We'll have a traditional southern Thanksgiving meal with fried turkey. My brother was just here for a family reunion at Santee so won't be here and one son lives way up in cheese state and other is in Afganistan so neither will be home. There will be a lot of standing around telling lies about fishing.

We are hosting this year. We alternate with my brother-in-law and his family.

My daughter comes home tomorrow night from college. It'll be her first time home since she started in August. We are all psyched!

Turkey all the way, ham is for Christmas. It isn't a Thanksgiving dinner without Green Bean caserole.

As for football....can't miss the Green Bay/Lions game.

Should be a fun weekend!

....second thanksgiving since the seperation...looking forward to the Lion Packer game....going to do some yard / house work....MIGHT cook something 'traditional'...but am leaning toward....stuffing..and smoked ham sandwiches......hope everyone has a great one:D

By the looks of it I may have my 1st Grand kid. ANY time.:)

And Happy Thanks Giving to you all too :)

Going fishing at Clark's hill, looking for Butterball bass :lol:

JP

Over the river and thru the woods to Granpaw's (Dads') house I'll go. Then to my brothers's for Turkey Day. Back to McMinn Co. Thursday night, and on to Lebanon, Ky. for a football weekend with good friends. Go Vols!!

I may make some creamed onion casserole, but not sure.

I won't go hungry, that I know. :lol:

In-laws are coming, but we've gotten the first snowfall of the year, so I will be chasing venison until noon.. Then som footbal and traditional thanksgiving fare.

She is here, 8.5 lbs , I'm a grand dad now. SO COOL!!! This is me Giving Thanks.

Lord, Thank you for all of this, Amen.

I am going to my X wifes for dinner..Ipromised my great Grandaughter I would go walking with her,So I will be getting my exercize..Hope everyone Is safe and has a happy holiday.i give thanks that I can spend another holiday with all my kids...JR

Happy Thanksgiving to all.... Smoking the turkey, made some corn casserole... Cheese tray... Chilled wine... Then to my son's house to pig out!!!!

Just me, my wife, and son this year. Making a "small" meal.

Pre-cooked Smoked Turkey Breast - just going to heat it in the oven

Homemade potato salad

Green bean wraps (4 or 5 green beans, wrapped with a piece of bacon anchored with a toothpick, seasoned, and then baked)

Butter croissants

Corn Mach Choux

Deviled Eggs

... and a nap.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back