The Best Spinning Reel and why?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Durham

Reaction score
What is the best spinning reel and why do you think its the best? Looking for a new one to buy this weekend. Jeff

Im a big fan of the Shimano Stradic line of spinning reels. They just work, no frills, they just do the job day in and day out. They are smooth, drag is good, and as durable as they come. I have some that have had for over 5 years and used the heck out of them and havent had problem one with any of the 4 i own. Some will tell you they cost too much but its worth the money IMHO for a reel that will last and work well.

The BEST?

The Shimano Stella FB, of course... for a number of reasons.

But, at $500 a pop, hardly what one considers most of the time.

(There are a couple of Diawa's out there in this "top end", but I dont know the specifics to comment on them).

I've been a longtime fan of the Shimano Sahara... alot of bang for the buck. ($50)

The Quantum PT series (Energy and Catalyst) are also excellent reels. (they are my current choice... the magnetic titanium bail and 8/10 ball bearings... tight design). ($89-$129)

And Alot of people really like the Shimano Stradics. ($120)

So, the best really depends upon your price range.

Jeff, I have two old Quantum Energy E-5's that I like a lot. Also have 1 BPS Pro Qualifier that I'm real partial to.

I will echo what JimB says about the Shimano's. I own five of the Shimano Sustain's that I use alot and have never had a problem with. Great reels..

Buzz

Jeff, I have four Daiwa Regals and have never had any kind of problem with them. At about 45.00 a pop, that's hard tp beat. A friend I used to fish with quite often is a died hard Stradic man. While I have used one of his a couple of times I would not trade him.

Bill

Check out the Pfueger President spinning reel. I use one on my dropshot rod, and I like it more than my stradic 2000's. At half the price of a stradic, the pfueger is pretty impressive, it's got 10 bearings and one of the smoothest drag systems I've seen.

Josh

If you like the Stradic take a hard look at the Symetre. Same guts as Stradic, different material on the case.

I like the Johnny Morris Spinning Reel. Great bargin when you get them on sale. I also tried the Browning Midas reel from BPS this year and I can say I am impressed. Just likethe JLM reel, different color.

Mini

I own 32 spinning reels in all different price ranges and the two best among those are a Shimano Stella and a Daiwa Certate. Although it's close, I give the nod to the Certate. To me, the Certate has a better handle and a slightly smoother retrieve.

I only have two,both are Diawa Caprice 2000,light weight,very smooth,long casting,great drag and are about 59$.

Shimano's. Why because they just work and it doesn't matter the price. The whole line is pretty sound.

You bet Ed...Still got an ol' Solstace that's had the crap beat out of it but, looking to replace. Ya' just can't beat em' from the cheaper Shimano's they sell at WW to the top of the line Stella.

I like many of the Shimano mid-priced, mid-sized spinners, but I have had an Abu Cardinal on my primary spinning rod for several years now, and it has proved to be very, very reliable. More so than any other spinning reel I've owned or used.

I have had a problem with the shimano spinning reels and I have heard of a lot of people having the same problem.....the bail will retrieve the line on the non-roller side. Bail is fine, bail spring is fine but it has a habit of doing this. Go to set the hook and you get about 3 loops of line out before it catches (if it catches). TJ and Greg saw this happen to me 3 or 4 times in WI, and I ALWAYS close the bail by hand. I have heard of this on different models (obviously not the $500 units).

TOXIC

A 1960's era Mitchell 300. A little grease, maybe a new bail spring every couple years, it will last forever.

Rich D

Latest posts

Back