Swapped Motorguide for MinnKota

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I finally installed the 80 lb MinnKota Maxum trolling motor I bought last summer. It's been sitting in my garage since I purchased it. (Did not mean to imply anything before my edits, just saying it sat for awhile.)

Finally, this weekend I took off the MotorGuide 71 lb and put on the MinnKota. What a huge difference. You will never convince me these two companies provide the same level of product. The MinnKota is so much smoother. Much easier to control and has a much better prop. The MotorGuide would almost jolt you forward when you took off at higher speeds than 3. The MinnKota was powerful but smooth. I am extremely happy I made the switch.

As far as the install, would be much easier if these two companies would use the same hole pattern. I was able to use 2 of the holes but had to fill the other 2. I ended up drilling 4 new holes. They only had 4 bolts holding the MotorGuide on. I put 6 bolts in for the MinnKota. The wiring was pretty simple. I am used to dealing with putting the wires in a plug but this boat has a wiring harness instead. Actually I almost liked it better. The universal sonar didnt work with my Lowrance X52 up front but I am swapping that out anyway. I don't think any of the GPS units I have are compatible with the universal sonar so I will need to put a transducer on.

Just wanted to let everyone know if you are ever thinking about swapping trolling motors, it's pretty simple. If I can figure it out, you can too. You will need an extra set of hands to get the bolts screwed in but that's about it.

Next up...the GPS installs. I am guessing this is going to be more difficult.

I've been having the same experience with my Motorguide. It feels as if it is trying to pull off the bow. Glad to hear your happy with the Minnkota...I've been thinking about swapping mine out also...I believe you made my mind up for me.

Eric

You will like the minn kota...Good job Girl..Now go fish....Also most of the snow Is gone you might go to Patoka and get some big ones soon...

Glad I could help. I debated just paying someone to swap the trolling motor and the GPS units because I am not very handy but decided to try and I am glad I did. I did strip a screw but the rest was pretty simple.

My MotorGuide had super sensitive steering. I barely stepped on the peddle and it would make a sharp turn. I tried adjusting it but never felt anywhere near as comfortable controlling it as I did with the MinnKota. I also like the round button that you step on compared to the square part of the MotorGuide. Maybe it's just me but I felt totally in control with little effort using the MinnKota. The MotorGuide definitely took some getting used to and I said "Sorry" more than once to my passengers. Lol! Operator error I am sure but to be a boater in a tournament, I need it to be as easy and as smooth as possible.

Taking the MotorGuide in to get it fixed and then selling it. I will never own another one.

JR, I am definitely going to try to get to Patoka more than I did last year. I have a tournament there in May. Still trying to sell the place but the market for log cabins has stunk. Hard to afford a "weekend home" these days.

As far as the install, would be much easier if these two companies would use the same hole pattern. I was able to use 2 of the holes but had to fill the other 2. I ended up drilling 4 new holes.

For the same reason Ford Rims won't fit a Chevy;)

Personally, I am happy with my MG, I plum wore the first one out and am going strong on the second.

TOXIC

Ok, Toxic-smarty-pants...

I am simply saying swapping out trolling motors is pretty common in the boating world, more power, something brakes, etc. I (as a consumer) simply wish I didn't have to drill new holes in my boat to do so. If was the trolling motor company, I wouldnt want someone to steer away from my product because they had to drill new holes. Not too many people would want to put Ford rims on their cool Chevy's. Different if you ask me.

I wouldn't have done the swap if my 08 Motorguide didn't have a mechanical issue. Gears 1 and 2 went out. So, since the trolling motor was only used one full season, in my opinion it shouldnt be having issues already. But, there's a lemon in every bunch I guess. Sounds to me like this was a common problem for them.

Use whatever you want...I don't get involved in too many of this site's "manly" debates, Ford vs Chevy, Obama vs everyone, Toyota vs GM, etc (yes I am making fun of you dorks). Most of the time I just don't care BUT in this case I felt strongly enough to voice an opinion because I really feel hands down MinnKota makes a better product.

Kisses and hugs, Toxic. :p

Teri,

Email sent. Please advise.

All the best,

Glenn

Teri, did you get a CoPilot remote control as well? I love mine. When we fish with someone, you can both have a remote and help each other out. Also, the foot pedal always overrides the remotes so works great.

:lol::lol::lol:You are such a hoot. My point was that if you have a MG and don't want to drill holes, you will buy another........MG. MK vs MG is always going to be a personal choice just like Humminbird vs Lowrance, Mercury vs Yammamie and all of the other "choices" we have to outfit or re-outfit our rigs.

Save your hugs and kisses for May:p:p

TOXIC

Teri if you need RAM mounts for your GPS install let me know.

thats strange that the holes didn't line up. I wonder if motorguide changed the bolt pattern that they use because minnkota had put holes in hte mount for their mounts as well as motorguide. When i swapped the tm on my 882 they lined right up same on my champ. My z7 had a minnkota from the factory because i refuse to ever run another motorguide.

Glad you got it swapped out and are back in action. MK or MG, you really can't go wrong. Both are great companies with great products. Just remember, there's a Monday morning and a Friday afternoon in every work week that they build motors! :lol: It is strange that you didn't get four of the bolt holes to match between the mounts. That's been the standard between them for years. (Another Mon./Fri. thing maybe. :D) Good job! Good luck! Now go fishing and have fun!! ;)

I recently switched to MK from MG and did the install myself, but I did it at the place I bought the trolling motor. Now I have the Fortrex and the dealer told me to take off a panel on the side of the tm mount and the holes would line up. Sure enough they did and all I had to do was put the panel back on when the install was complete. Hope this helps someone with the install in the future.

Switching from MG to MK is not a problem, the holes will line up because MK adds MG holes to their mounts. MK to MG could be a problem, unless one thought ahead and used the MG holes included on the MK mount. I really just confused myself..but I think I stated it correctly...!

I had 2 other people look at it and I can assure you there was no way to make the holes line up from the MG to MK. Maybe when they did the install they used different holes (there is more than one pattern) but I wouldn't have drilled holes if I didn't have to. I used 2 existing, pulled 2 with silicone and drilled 4 more.

Teri, they do line up. Well they USED to. I havent swapped a motor since I put a MK on the boat.....

Latest posts

Back