Starting A Guide Service

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
I am doing a school project about starting your own business and i want to start a guide service. I was woundering if any of you could hgive me a hand on what to do concerning the guide service.

Any help would be really appreciated.

T.S.

I own a hunting guide service. Not sure if you are just wanting fishing though.

www.pikeland.com

Shoot me an email if you want more info.

Jeff

What exactly would you like to know Travis? From ground up? That's a lot of info. Let us know what exactly you want to know and we can send you the info. It is not an easy business to get off the ground, but then again, none are. And don't do it for the money, cause you won't get rich as a guide, do it because you love to. As for the details, there are lots.

I need to know all of the details and i need stuff like a mission statement, name of business, business plan, ect...

I love fishing and hunting so anybody that owns a gude service or their own business can help here.

George i recived your email and i will send you one beclk a little later thank you.

Thank You all very much,

T.S.

P.S.- With all of your guys help i think i will get an A on this project. Thank You

Travis, I doubt many guide services have mission statements. Usually large corporations do. Maybe some do, but I don't. Just a goal to provide the best and safest trips possible at an attractive price to my customers. My biz is called North Country Bass & Birds. I will e-mail you the rest, no need to fill up the post with details.

Here's one of "us", a 14 yr old member, who needs our help... Let's do as much as we can... Travis, if I can get you any computer or website info.. let me know.. And, if one of our pros can't answer your questions (doubtful cuz our guys are the best) let me know and I'll search around among my friends who are guides to get some aditional help...

Travis -

I'll hire you to teach me how to flip and pitch!

Mission Statement: "An Enjoyable Hunting & Fishing Experience with Safety First!"

me!

Travis,

Guiding is not a complicated business. It is the person behind the business that makes it work. Personality is just as, if not more important than, putting people on fish. You need insurance, a tax accountant, some business savy and PERSONALITY.

Like Mac once said "You know how to make a small fortune in the guide business?......Start with a big one!!"

Email me and I will get you all the details you want.

TOXIC

Thank You guys for the response and i will get back to you all in a day or two with all of the details because i need to figure out more of the requirements on this project.

Thank You, Take Care and God Bless,

T.S.

Travis-

Here are some practical points you would think about if planning this business:

Legal:

- Decide what type of business it will be (sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation); file appropriate paperwork to establish the business, if necessary.

- Find out if you have to register with any state agencies like the Secretary of State's office, the DNR, etc.

- Do you need to buy insurance? Check state laws.

- Do you need any boating credentials (training)?

Accounting:

- Open a bank account in the business' name and use it for all expenses and deposits associated with the business.

- Find out what accounting/tax requirements you'll have (usually from an accountant or by reading IRS publications)

- Create a (simple) system for tracking all expenses of the business; can be as simple as throwing all receipts in a show box, or as complex as using a computer to do the accounting for your business.

Marketing:

- How will people know you are a guide available for hire? Advertising? Word of mouth? Printed flyers? Web site?

- Make your product and pricing decisions. Will you offer half-days? Full days? Do you include lunch, bait, gas, etc.?

Sales:

- How will you book clients? By phone? Email?

- Will you take deposits?

- What will your refund policy be?

Operations:

- What other services will you provide?

- Types of fishing offered?

- Will you pick up clients, or meet them at the ramp?

- Will you offer photos of catches?

- What if your boat breaks?

Hope this is helpful.

Latest posts

Back