Speedo Hole in Merc 225?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Graham

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Merc 225? I just purchased a used boat with a Merc 225 and the speedo gauge, of course, does not work. BUT, I cannot figure out where the hose runs. In my 115 Merc you could follow the hose down the "front" of the motor to a hole in the lower unit. But on the 225 I can't find it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. My closest Merc dealer is 70 miles away.

>>Dennis

The speedo hole is along the front edge about 3 or 4 inches above the lower gear housing. I get wood chips in mine some times and usually use a .062 to .093 drill bit by hand to clean it out. Be careful and don't push the hose of in the lower unit.

The V is probably it. What I mean by drilling by hand means turn the drill bit with your fingers and try to work the wood out. It doesn't tale much to get the wood drilled out. If it is clogged by wood this will work. If it has been damaged and the hole clogged by aluminum thats a different story.

This finally happened to me too. I had the hole plugged by mud. When it dried it was as hard as chalk.

I put the smallest drill bit I had into a cordless drill and, using the slow gear and variable speed, drilled a tiny hole through the mud. You have to be careful. If you feel resistance but are making progress - good. If you feel resistance but aren't making progress - bad. Readjust the angle of the drill bit and try again. Once you're through the plug, you'll feel no resistance at all. STOP!

Then, I inserted a straigntened worm hook through the hole and pulled the plug of hardened mud out. Worked like a charm. Of course, now my speedo reads 103 mph at WOT, but who cares?

Latest posts

Back