Speed difference....what's the deal??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Clevenger

Reaction score
Ok, I've just got to ask the question. Not aimed at anyone in particular, but I see this a lot so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Why are people so concerned about 2 or 3 mph increase in speed on their boat? Granted, I can only get about 35mph in my rig (which is fast enough for me although I don't fish tournaments and, in fact, stay away from a lake for a day or two if a tournament is on since it messes up the fishing so much). Is it simply a "mine is faster than yours" type thing or does 2mph really make a difference in some area?

Jim -

It's just like havin' ta run ta the OTHER side of the lake. Everyone KNOWS that the fishin' is ALWAYS better on the other side 'cuz it's further away. Never you mind that people put in on that side and come all the way over to this side 'cuz they think the fishin' is better over here!

me!

I really think it's a matter of both, Jim. Obviously, we all want to get the most out of our rigs as we can. As a tournament fisherman I believe that 2-3 mph can make a difference in the big picture. If you have to make a long run, or lots of short runs, that extra time you save may afford you those extra casts which could equate to more/bigger fish.

For the average boater/angler, I think it's important to weigh the cost of obtaining that higher performance vs. what you're really going to obtain in overall value. Maybe some small, inexpensive tweaks are in order just to help out a bit.

Or you can fork out the big $$$ and send your prop to Boger, install a hydraulic jack-plate, slap on a Merc RS lower unit, put in new reeds, run 97 octane and still not go as fast as my girlfriends VW!!

To each his own, I guess...

I don't think it makes that much of a difference, UNLESS . . .

1. You are fishing tournaments to make money, or;

2. You are fishing on very big lakes, or;

3. Your biggest rival has a boat that is faster than yours.

Scott is right - "The big fish are holding OVER THERE (he says, pointing to the farthest spot on the lake)!"

True story: we launched our 16' jon boat (25 hp) at a public ramp in a cove at Lake of the Ozarks and began trolling around looking for crappie beds. A tournament was launching out of that same cove and they all roared outta there like the water had a horrible stink to it (It was the OTHER guy in our boat! SERIOUSLY!!). About ten minutes later, two big Sparklies came roaring INTO the cove and began fishing. They had launched from a cove about ten miles away!

Ya'll are SO right! How many times do we go roaring down the lake looking for cover or structure that might be right at the ramp. If I identify a pattern on a lake now, I'll go to my map or visual references and try to identify places closer to the take-off where that pattern could hold up. Took me a lot of seat-time and burned fuel to figure that one out!

However, there are those times that the 90 mile run MUST be made to catch your fish. Then, as they say, sit down - shut up - and hang on!!

At the Bassmaster on Lake Martin, AL last week, I drew a partner fishing on the opposite end of the lake and couldn't convince him that my fish were better. The travel time was right at an hour. Having an extra 2-3mph increased my fishing time on my fish, catching a 3-9 largehead in the final seconds, allowing me to cut a check. I was able to fish them earlier and stay on them later, with max top end. 99% of the boats are rigged similarly, and 2-3mph can dictate who sits on what schools of fish. Just remember safety first. At least, that's the way I see it.

First, I think if you're going to spend in a Bassboat, it's not just for speed. There's comfort, fishability and throw in a few style points! Once you've made the jump, most guys like to have the rigs running at their optimum, little changes here and there make for big dividens in the peak performance category.

Tournaments and speed.

Granted, We don't have 300+ boats in tournaments around my parts, but my opinion is, if you have to run head to head with a few boats to get to your spot...you probably haven't done your homework. I try to find key spots tha people don't know about. However, I don't run a big rig but it's got decent speed and it feels good to know you're heading into an area first, or that no one will know where you entered, because your that far ahead. Throughout a day you will see increased fishing time, because you were able to get to that next spot quickly. Every little bit helps.

I agree that not all fish are across the lake. I've fished many tournaments where I stay within sight of the ramp all day. But sometimes tournaments will be held on various ramps on the same body of water. Sometimes I'll be close to my "confident" spots, and sometimes I won't....which means a long trip.

That's pretty much the way I see it. I definitely don't put much into performance, but some do, i think alot of it has to do with some guys being more in tune with the crucial need for men to have MORE POWER...arrgg arrrg arrrg...

Pierre

I agree with Pierre, to many Tim The tool man attitude. I've found that patience concentration and a willingness to just slow down and pick a piece of structure apart has payed off more than once for me. Besides I've never seen a fish caught yet at senenty+ miles perhour. Just can't understand why someone needs to go that fast.

i personally like a boat that goes at least 50 to make some of the lakes smaller and more options during a 8 hour tourn. in N.Y. more and more lakes have a 45 mph speed limit. i still like a boat that does better than that so at 3/4 throttle you can do at least 45 mph and get fair fuel miliage.stan

Thanks for the opinions. Never fished in a tournament. Guess I felt it would make fishing feel more like work with the pressure of trying to win. I just like to fish.

Jim

performance = efficiency

Better fuel economy, more fishing time especially in long runs....also in the ever increasing amount of fishing pressure, getting to your hot spot first can make the difference in winning or losing.

The biggest thing is to realize is that tournaments are timed events. You need to maximize your time fishing not going from spot to spot. And when it is 2:45 and you need one good one to cull a "squeaker" those extra minutes are invaluable.

Mini

I try to explain like this. If you're in a field of say 150 boats (which I have been) and you draw # 89, there are 88 boats ahead of you beating the water to shreds before you get, escpecially on smaller lakes. Take Lake George in NY for example, 60 miles long, so about a 1 hour run to the south bays where the tourneys are consistently won with better quality largemouths from the boat docks! Everyone knows that. We launched 89th, but in the 1 hour run at 72 mph, we caught and passed over 20 boats. The faster you can run, the more time you have to fish. The more time you have to fish, the more likely you are to make that one last cast that finds that 4-5 lber that has been hiding all day, and you can get back in time. The difference between 1st and 2nd place can be 1 oz. So 1 oz can mean thousands of $$$. In other words to the serious tourney angler, speed = $$$. As a guide on a large body, storms can whip up fast, and when you are responsible for clients, you want to beat that storm and get off the lake. There have been fronts that rolled in 5 ft whitecaps and I barely beat them in, even though I saw the storm coming for 5 miles. But as mentioned above, if you're a recreational angler, and can stick close by, there is no real need to spend the extra $$$ for 2-3 mph. Sorry so long.

Latest posts

Back