Specs for PT175, PT185 Beam? Rod locker?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Burger

Reaction score
I've been looking at PT175/185 for sale. I'm trying to aquire specification information on different year boats. I was about to drive a few hundred miles to go look at a 1998 PT185. I happened to have a 1998 BPS catalog, when I looked at the specs. on this boat "rod locker holds rods up to 6'6"..." wow I would have quite the suprise if I would have brought this bought home and tried to put my 7' rods inside.

My questions:

What year is your boat?

What model?

Beam width?

Rod locker length?

Thanks Tom

02' 185/90 XT

Beam:83"

Rod Locker:6'6" (I believe)

To be honest...I've never used my rod lockers for rods:p I have too much other stuff like drift sock,raingear(in a waterproof bag),rod holders,oil etc,etc,;)

Funny - my 2002 PT175's rod locker will hold a 7' rod easy. Don't have specs on beam off hand.

JC

I have a '98 PT185 and mine holds 7' rods easy. Its the PT175 that doesn't hold 7 footers(1998 models). Thats one of the big reasons I got a 185. I have my manual at home. I can post the beam width for you later. I believe mine is 82 or 84 but I'm not positive.

Tom - I've got the brochures on 2000 - 2003, 2005 and 2006 Tracker boats, so if there is a specific model let me know and i'll post it. I believe 98 was the first year of the PT 175/185 with the Revolution Hull, they didn't change the specs from 98 till 2002, when I believe/remember in 2002 the PT series went All Welded and in 2003 all packaged boats from Tracker are all welded.

My 2000 185 holds 7 footers no problem, but I can not get my 7'5" lommis in the box. I can fit 10 rods in each box if I cover them with BPS rod socks. If I do not cove them I get rod spagetti! Normally only keep 6 on each side.

Hope this helps.

Bill2e - I'll second the Rod Socks! my PC 175 had build in rod tubes, but my Nitro doesn't and some folks on here suggested the socks. i've got 6 of them and its AMAZING how well they work!

Thanks for all the quick responses. Alex, Interesting I'd swear the catalog say's "up to 6'6" " I'll check the catalog when I get home. I either read the PT175 specs, or they screwed up on the specs for the PT185. I would like to know the beam width.

Thanks Tom

I wanna say 78" on a 98...I didn't think they went to 83" til 01'?

Boat package width is 85 inches. 7 foot rods will fit o.k. I installed golf tubes to keep the tips from tangling and from rubbing on the inside of the hull.

mike

I have an 05 175 and i came up with a factory looking rod box system,,Plate & tubes that can NEATLY store 10-12 rods Easily,,I even have 3 ...7 ft,ers i keep in there,,,It does require maybe 1 inch to be trimmed off the inside non load bearing support...I worked and tested on this for months to get it just right.......I sell them ready to install,all parts for 60.00 which includes shipping...Email me if interested...I can send a pic of mine....

Doubled checked my files. According to the brochure for MY2002, the PT175 rod locker will hold "up to a 7' rod" and the beam is listed as 84". Same spec for the MY2003 catalog I also have in my files. I can send PDF's if folks want to see the pages.

JC

TB:

THE YEAR IS 1998, PRO TEAM 185. I HAVE MADE SOME MODIFICATION IN THE LAYOUT AND THE BOAT RIDES GREAT. I HAVE THE 75 WITH THE 90 HP MODS TO THE MOTOR.

THE BATTERIES FOR THE TROLLING MOTOR ARE NOW IN THE FRONT OF THE BOAT AND I CAN EASILY SERVICE THE BATTERIES. IT IS ALSO LESS RESISTANCE FOR THE TROLLING MOTOR AS I ONLY HAVE ABOUT 7 FEET OF # 6 WIRE. THE ORIGINAL WIRE WAS 21 FEET LONG AND ONLY 8 GUAGE WIRE. IN REALITY I HAVE TRANSFERED ABOUT 100 LBS FORWARD AND REMOVED 100 LBS FROM THE AFT END OF THE BOAT. SO THERE IS A 200 LB CHANGE IN WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION. GOES UP ON PLANE IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE WITHOUT GOING TO FULL THROTTLE.

MIKE

I've got a 1998 P.T. 175 and I can get 7' rods in the locker with not too much trouble. The rod tips barley touch the front of the locker, but I've never had a proble wth broken rod tips.

Well I check out my owners manual. I guess it doesn't say in there. All I found was the description of the boat from the guy I bought it from. It states it has a 84 in beam but I can't say that it is the correct info.

Latest posts

Back