Speaking of driving in rough water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
After running around with the MVM on lake St Clair I noticed a little "movement" on my trolling motor mount. I had to tighten all the screws, a lot! Over Fathers day weekend I took the boat over to St Joe where my daughter and future son in law live and we went out on Lake Michigan perch fishing. It wasn't too bad in in the morning but got rougher as the day went on. We slammed the perch and between the 3 boats the fish we caught took 1 1/2 hours for 4 of us to clean. Anyway we made the 5 or 6 mile run back to the inlet and I noticed even more movement on my trolling motor. When I got it back on the trailer I looked at it. I had broken 3 of the 6 rubber mounts and the other 3 were very loose. It was so bad that I decided I'd better remove the motor for the ride home. I also noticed a lot of "bumps" in the rub rail.

Last week I ended up thru bolting the mount and removing the rub rail and backing out all of the screws and putting lock tite on them. If I remember correctly, most of those who fish St. Clair regularly actually take the screws out and replace them with the next size larger screw.

Gene

I remember the first few times I ran really rough water I had to do the same thing. Even better was at the end of the day finding 6 or 7 screws/bolts on the floor and trying to find out where they came from!!:lol:

TOXIC

Bolting the TM is the best and only way to go.....I also LOVE my RAM Trolling Motor Stabilizer!

Derek knows what Lake of the Ozarks is like.You better have them bolted on.

You havent seen rough water until you have seen this party break up and all the drunks are heading back to shore......
gull1.jpg

That looks like an average day anywhere there is slack water on the Potomac! I got beat to death from "Dopes on Ropes" last Tuesday evening. One came so close that it washed water over my gunnels and promptly dropped my trolling motor right on top of a log. Good thing I am weaponless while fishing.....

Scott

Average day? There was over 5,000 boats there last weekend....

over 10,000 people. This pic was from 2005 or so. Now the coat guard puts a cutter in that deep blue channel above the island in the pic as a temporary jail.

Its billed as the MardiGras of the midwest. The largest boat party in the world.

To give some reference, the bost that is beng pointed to is a 34 footer.

Mini,

I was kinda joking, but it sure seems like it when you are trying to put in or fish without getting pushed halfway up the bank by ski boats, pontoon boats and jet skis!

Scott

Back