Sparkplugs for 150 XR6?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill P

Reaction score
Does anyone remember which NGK plug is for the XR6, is it bu8h ?

Listed it in a previous post. NGK-BPZ8HS-10 gapped at 0.040 in.

Bill,

Remove your cowling and check the port side identification plate, my 1999 XR6 motor calls for BU8H, they are gapless plugs, Bassin fool might have a different year motor than yours or is using an alternate plug style. It should tell you all you need to know.

Tight Lines

Eric H.

I'm looking at my Mariner/Mercury Service Manual 90-878079 Jan 2000 for Models 135 Carb, XR6/MAGIII, 200 Carb,150 XRI/175, & 200 XRI, serial numbers OG960500 and up. Page 1A-3 in Specifications and under Ignition System states the following:

Type - Capacitor Discharge

Spark Plug Type - NGK BPZ8HS-10

Spark Plug Gap - 0.040 in. (1.0 mm)

Firing Order 1-2-3-4-5-6.

However, my son has an older Mariner that calls out the BU8H.

If in doubt, check with your Mecury parts dealer, and based on your serial number, he should be able to tell you exactly what plug is recommended.

Russ

Just a note. After break-in and running double oil, I decided to change the plugs (NGK BPZ8HS-10). I thought I would do best by ordering the plugs from my local Auto Zone or Discount Auto. I was surprised to find out they wanted $13 each. I bought them from Mercury Parts Express for about $8 each. Still kinda pricy. The older BU8H are only about $2 each.

Russ

Russ I would continue to check. We have a Mercury dealer here called Discount BoatHouse Marine where I can purchase NGK plugs for my Mercury 125 for about 2.38 each. Robert

Nominal, that was last year. At that time maybe the NGK BPZ8HS-10 were real expensive because they were new. Also at that time, the NGK BU8H were less than $2 at Discount Auto.

Russ

I found my owners manual, and it says bu8h for the ngks. Also, Jim B, I thought the plugs for the xr6 were the ringfire plugs, with no electrode to gap? did they change that? My motor is a 99, maybe they're different now. Thanks guys for the responses.

Latest posts

Back