Small engine jack plate

• Thread starter George Arbuckle
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum but have been a lurker for a while. I've enjoyed the wealth of information here and would like to take a moment to ask for a bit of advice. I have a 94 Nitro 160TF with a 40hp Magnum 4cyl. The boat runs surprisingly well. With a 12p stainless prop it runs around 30mph with two people and gear. Hole shot is good and max RPM is 5500.

My question is weather a jack plate, and possible prop change, would benefit performance enough to justify the investment? After reading some posts on here about engine height, I measured mine, and found that I'm 7 inches below the pad. Motor is mounted in the top holes. I'm thinking that a 4" jack plate would give me the adjust ability to dial in a better height. I know I'm already at max RPM so I figure that I may also need to change to a 14p prop to take advantage of the increased height / efficiency.

Does this make sense? Is it worth giving a shot?

Hey,

It would probably aid. Like you said watch your rpm and up the pitch of your prop. One major thing I would be sure of first is if you have hydraulic steering, make sure your lines are long enough for you to move the motor back the thickness of the jack plate. Heard of guys having that issue after the plate and motor had been installed, then go to reconnect the hydraulic steering cables only to find out that they're to short.

Latest posts

Back