Single or Dual Console?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Jackoviak

Reaction score
Question for everyone. If you were to buy a new boat, would it be a single or dual console? And why?

Thanks,

Jon

Dual, it has better resale, and protects your fishing partner from the elements that you are being protected from. Also if your married and you take your wife out she'll kill you once you stop for not thinking of her enough to get a dual console.

Buzz

Dual for me too. After owning both i wont ever own another single. Like Buzz said you partner will appreciate it and it also adds to resale. Some people feel they get in the way but if the boat is wide enough like my 882 is it dosent get in the way. I also like the glove box for putting things like pliers and sunscreen in.

Dual all the way, infact I wish they made my boat (pro Crappie 175) in a dual console. I've ridden in some fast boats in cold weather as a passenger (2 Rangers and a Nitro) and the Ranger's didn't have the 2nd console and the Nitro did, MAN that made a HUGE difference!!! I know Ranger's make dual consoles and Nitros make singles, but what i've rode in.

Trep

I'm a dual console fan. Personally, I think they look better, but that's not the main reason I am stuck on them.

I enjoy the fact that a DC provides some protection for your passenger. The biggest benifit I see is the added storage space under the extra console. It's a grat place to stash an extra tackle bag or a cooler to keep them dry or out of the hot sun.

Like Jim B, I have owned both, and I can not see myself ever buying another single console boat.

Ok, that was some quick answers. What if it was a hell of a deal on a single?

Jon

Then to heck with the passenger... You will be warm.

I still wouldn't do it. I'd pay a premium for a dual. That's just me, I'm pretty pigheaded, just ask my wife.

Dual. Single really sucks for your passenger.

Tox - I would have figured a guide would have prefered a single?? to keep paying customers warm, dry and bugmouth free!

Dual. But down here in the Carolinas, only one in 7-10 boats have dual consoles. Everyone down here makes the passenger suffer (note Toxic's comment). At the Federation tournaments, it's probably 1 in 15.

Depending upon the boat/year, you may be able to add the second console. Many are just bolt-on's now. Be sure to check on the possibility of adding the second console to it. Check with a local dealer.

Tex

Jon, if it's a reeeeeealy good deal then take it and buy a poncho for the passenger with the diff.

Harpo

Dual for my clients. Which would explain why I get better tips than Toxic! LOL Plus it better balances the boat.

I need the room. I can take 3 + myself in a single 929. It is waaay too cramped in a dual 929. If my clients are wooses (I can say that cause "I" have a console...LOL) I have them turn back into the wind and face the seats.

Wind and bugs in the face is all part of the experience. Plus I can absolutly torture them if they are a PIA. Hehehe.

TOXIC

Well I hate to say it but all of you were no help, except Toxic. LOL :). I bought a 2004 929cdx single console with a 225 Optimax on it. I really wanted a Dual console, but this deal was really hard to pass up. I guess if I don't like it, I probably could use it for a year or 2 and get my money out of it.

Jon

Jon - I know where you're coming from. I had my mind set on a dual, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up so I own a single console. I'm sure you'll love it!!!

TJ

"I" love my single...

As one of my fishing partners described, "It's like fishing off the deck of an aircraft carrier!" LOL

I like all the extra room...it sure fishes 'bigger' than an 18 footer...

az

Andy,

It is kind of funny. I went to your Library and noticed the pictures with Woo Daves. I am actually buying the new boat from him. I am going down next weekend to pick it up. I am very excited.

Jon

Dual.

That way my partner would be more sociable fo rthe first 2 hours after the long, cold morning runs. And I could load the boat better since my fat-arse weighs down one side.

Single, I like the extra room. But I am in a NX750, if I were purchasing a 20 or 21 footer I may consider a dual console.

I wouldn't own anything but a dual console........there's a reason there's a helluva deal on a single.....they're HARD to sell!! (Especially to the tournament folks up here who take family members out and fish alot in inclement weather.

I rode with Iaconelli last year on Beaver with a single console 519...in the rain and cold........worst ride i ever had as a passenger!!) I just prefer the dual consoles.

Mac

Jon-

You're buying WOO's boat?

that's cool...

How many packs of Zoom plastics is he throwing in?

LOL

He's a great teacher at BASS U!

az

Andy,

Yeah. He is going to take me out for a drive with it and show me how everything works. Great Guy!

Jon

Jon, Are you coming all the way to spring grove to pick up the boat? you're gonna ride by my place to get there!!! KB... you could'a bought mine and saved yourself 20 miles

kb,

LOL. Yeah, I would have saved 20 miles, but would have I saved the $? :)

Jon

I have never had the dual console in the way. I really don't understand the whole "more room" bit.

I have a single and love it, so does the wife, plenty of open space to fight big fish.Like to fish walleye's and usually drift with rods over the open side. I have a NX750, if I got a bigger boat I would probably still get a single.

Rob in with you on that one, my 882 dual has plenty of room. I have never felt it has gotten in my way.

You guys ever tried to fish 4 serious fishermen out of your rigs.....somebody's not going to be happy because the rear deck won't hold 2 and the front deck won't hold 3, so somebody's gotta fish out of the middle. With 1 console it's doable with a dual....no way, and that's with a 929. Unless of course you want a chipped up console.

TOXIC

Its just something else trip over in anything less than a 20ft boat.Each his own.

I'm a fan of the dual console. I've got a 7-year-old son who loves to fish and this offers him some protection. Plus, I didn't like the ride and feeling that I got when I rode in single console boats. Just seemed like I was beat to death and wet more times than I wanted to be.

Tox,I've got a dual console, 19-foot boat and my main tournament partner still chipped the windshield trying to do an underhand-roll cast with only us two on the boat, leaving roughly 16 feet of boat between us - I guess he favors a single too:)

Tox, i have never fished 4 from my boat. I dont ever intend to either. The most i have ever fished was 3 and it was fine. nobody felt cramped. I think you are right 4 people would be a problem with the extra console.

Yep, JB, that's my point. 4 "fun" fishing is one thing but if they are serious fishermen, the middle person gets the shaft. Even with mine, I usually make them rotate through there.

TOXIC

I got a dual console for my dog screw the rider,just kidding. In reality I prefer the dual as it gives me extra space to stash items .Plus it does give some security to a rider . I never found the second console to get in the way,but I can see if you have some big boys in the boat that it could be a problem

Latest posts

Back