Signal

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey DeWitt

Reaction score
I took my recently purchased Nitro 482 with Merc 150 out for it's maiden voyage tonight. A couple of times I would throttle up and a constant beep signal would start. Once I throttled back to neutral it would stop. I do not have the manual for the boat or the motor and do not know what the signal means. After some cruising at low speed it eventually allowed me to throttle up without the signal. Anyone know what this sounds is for? I'm a novice at this type of boat. Thanks

the steady beep is the over heat alarm.

probly needs a water pump or thermostats if youve never worked on and outboard bring it to your trusted mechanic.

dont run the motor after this alarm untill you get it checked out an overheat condition can and will blow your power head.

bob b. on this site will walk you thru diagnoseing the issue as far as he can.

he gives expert advise.

I have a 2009 Z-7 with a Mercury opti DFI. I had a similar issue with mine. After a run I would idle into a marina or no wake area when my alarm would sound. I could shut off the motor and restart it and the alarm would stop. This happend a few times before I had my mechanic look at it. After hooking up the diagnostics, it showed my starboard side head temp peaked at 194 degrees. Long story short, my engine only had 23 hours and needed a impeller. Although it looked fine, it appeared to be very hard. Once that was installed no more issue and my water pressure shot up a few lbs as well.

intermittent beep is usually oil related I believe. Make sure your on engine (under the cowling) tank is full.

That is correct, an intermittent beep is "low oil". Check your motor-mounted tank and be sure it is full to the TOP. If it isn't, loosen the cap, run the motor, and allow it to fill on it's own. Tighten cap securely. Be sure the remote tank {in the boat} does not have any loose caps. It will allow pressure to bleed off, and oil will not travel to the motor's tank.

If you have a constant tone, is it occurring when you are in a "mush" stage {half-on, half-off} plane? I have seen in this application the motor be deprived of coolant {due to turbulent water}, with subsequent overheat....along with long, river like, no-wake zones. If the boat is powered on plane quickly, there are no issues. ;)

Back