Side Imaging Placement on Z7, got it perfect

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Keeney

Reaction score
It took me several days and a lot of calls, e-mails, etc.. to finally decide where to place my side imaging for best readings on my Z7. I finally felt comfortable and bought a shield and mounted it on hull. Been out 4 times and it reads crystal clear, couldn't ask for a better picture. If anyone is debating or confused on this situation with a Z7, mine is a 2008, let me know and i'll help you :)

Yes please do post some pictures because I just bought a Lowrance structure scan and I am deciding where to mount mine. I am assuming when you said hull, is this the transom or underneath?

Yes, clarification with pics would be great.

I recently bought the Hummingbird 798 CI HD and will have it installed in the spring so any tips would be helpful.

Gary

I'll post pics in morning sometime if I can! It's on the step directly behind drain plugs, etc...I used a transducer shield and saver with a wedge to level it. Pics will show it better

Tried to get a few pics before work this morning..not best but you can at least see where it is...any questions just ask :)

transducer 1.JPG

transducer 2.JPG

transducer 3.JPG

very nice......I couldn't do that if I wanted to. 2010 or newer Z7 have the RPS transom. The part of the hull you have it mounted on doesn't exist in my boat.....lol

I just bought a new 2011 Z-7 Sport with the same hull. I am trying to figure out how to mount my Lowrance HDS-8 sidescan transducer. How did you mount your transducer? Did you drill and mount it with screws or did you use something else. Also, where did you find your shield? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to drill the hull if I don't have to. This is the first fiberglass boat I've owned, so it's all new to me. Always had aluminum before.

I used a shield from www.transducershieldandsaver.com On our hull it is slighty at an angle and you have to order a wedge that the shield goes against to make it prefectly level. There is no way around not drilling 2 holes in hull. There are already at least 5+ holes in it for draines, pumpes, etc... So it shouldn't be a problem. If you call them they will tell you everything you need and send instructions to install. It only takes about 20-30 to install. Like I said, my images are crystal clear on my 998...very happy and almost 99% sure it won't be damaged with that shield and location. Hope this helps!

I imagine that's the way I'll go with the mount. Just wish Lowrance had their sidescan and sonar in one unit like your's. I still have to figure out how to mount the sonar. Looks like a real neat and trouble free installation.

We're going to New Orleans for redfish and specs at the end of the month. So, I'm trying to get everything installed before then. Thanks for your reply.

Latest posts

Back