Should know better

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I'm posting this a reminder for everyone to know two important things about your outboard in this case my Mercury 150 optimax. One was where the engine fusebox is and the other where the release for the trim is located and how to use it.

Last week in South Dakota I blew a main engine fuse. No biggy except the fuse box wasn't where I thought it would be. I was stuck on the ramp in the dark with the lower unit planted into the concrete boat ramp. Where was the owners manual? Well after five years I found that Tracker had it squeezed between the bulkhead and oil tank. I took it into the house to read and that's where it was.:( Finally contacted a Marina and got a number to call the tech at home and he enlighten me. Took twenty seconds to get the engine tilted up and on the way to the motel. That's after sitting there blocking the ramp like an idiot:rolleyes:

The next mornig bright and early I pulled into the Marina(across the hiway from the motel) The nice young man sold me a couple extra fuses and showed me the process to manually raise and lock the lower unit.

A much humbled Fatrap

The walleyes fishing was ok. But I was constantly pestered by smallies in the three to four pound range.

Hey fat rap glad to see that u got it. I was fishing one night here on douglas lake and i was running down the lake. I noticed lightning in the back ground so i decided to fish one more spot. After i did i planed back out and trimmed way up. I slowed down and trimmed down because of wake from pontoon. My motor was stuck trimmed up. After i hit the trim afew times down i hit it like twice up. Well motor was trimmed really high. I finally got it back to free launch. Got it loaded. The relay was bad from down side. I read there was a flat head screw starboard side. it was in a hole on motor mount. It was a 70 horse johnson

Yeah Chris the screw is on the starboard side of the Merc via a hole in the tilt arm. The fuse took me by surprise. I SHOULD have made it my business to know where it was and to have spares. I had the relay problem on my Rude that was on my Nitro. I knew that one believe it or not and switched relays to lower the unit then again to raise it. I used to work for Bass Pro and I related the story to the store's GM and he said he was going to make all Tracker associates inform customers where these items are located.

Doesn't feel good to face this situation does it:)

fatrap

Exactly fatrap. When i get off work im gonna go find mine. Its sad that usually we dont do things until something bad happens then we say damn why didnt i research that already

Back