Shifting Problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post so bare with me. I have a 2003 Tracker Pro 175 with a 2003 Tracker 50HP outboard. Went fishing yesterday & boat was preforming great. I was back in a cove when I hit mud. No hard hit, just stirred up a lot of mud. After getting back into deeper water, the boat would not go forward. When I shifted into forward the boat went backward. Shift into reverse & the boat went backward. It took for ever to go 2 miles in reverse back to the launch ramp. Got the boat on the trailer & inspected for damage to prop & lower unit. No damage detected……...Where should I begin troubleshooting. What should I look for?

The sifting linkage may have slipped. Check your sifting linkage where the cable hooks into the linkage on the motor. Th
ere should be a rod running down to the lower unit. The lower unit will need to be taken off for this procedure. If it is not these items then it is in the lower unit it's self and will probably require the lower unit to be taken apart witch will require a qualified mechanic.

Thanks Kirby......I have checked the linkage going down to the lower unit & all seems to be OK. With your input I am now thinking there has to be some adjustment where the cable attaches to the motor linkage. I've decided that this is beyond my mechanical IQ so I'm taking it to the dealer next week. Just want to make sure it is right & I don't have to be concerned about breaking down again. Again, thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back