Shaw Griggsby On Champlain with KV

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Okay... I just hate to "pump up" Rob.... But, over the weekend I watched part of a "pheeshin show" with Shaw and Kevin on Champlain. It looked like FANTASTIC fishing...

I saw the end of that show...

Are you sure that's where they were?

Yes, it did look awfully nice...

az

I saw the show a while ago. I know EXACTLY where they were. Was it the episode where he was c-riggin for smallies?

The part I saw...

they were both throwing Strike King jerk baits...

az

They were up in Northern MI using jerk baits!! They didn't say the name of the lake (KVD's no idiot!!) but they stayed at one of the resorts on Traverse City!! I think they fished Elk/Torch and Intermediate Lakes!! But they were DEFFINETELY in northern Michigan....not NY!!! Sorry Rob!!

Mac

That's what I thought...

I was thinking that they were in Grand Traverse Bay...

But maybe it was just the Traverse City thing I heard...

az

Oh, KVD? The episode I remember was Shaw by himself. In fact in one shot, you should be able to see my boat across the bay while I was flippin grass. Didn't know who it was until they came roaring by. Gets the clients all worked up too. They've all filmed on this lake now. Never fear Mac, when I go to my honey holes now, I take the loooong way and look behind me the whole time to be sure I'm not followed. But every since Bob left that tackle tote in my boat, people have been finding them anyway! Bob, you planting homing devices again?

Okay... It wasn't Champlain... Then I want to the lake they were on...because they got some big ones...

Greg,...Just take I-94 East till you hit US-31 North...it'll take you right to the ramp!! LOL...I thought the fish they were catching were just "average" for up there! Guys catch 6 & 7's up there regularly!! The biggest on that show was a 5lbr.....but they did get a LOT of 4's!! If you time it right and catch the pre-spawn..you can catch 3-5lbrs until your arms ache!!! Virtually every cast ......it's so easy it's stupid...but timing is everything!! I have a good buddy who lives up there and he catches TOADS all year long......he's got 3-4 over 7lbs in the last couple of years.....and "Bob" on this site got a 7+ too.....there's some MONSTER smallies up there that have never even seen a bait....they don't get nearly the pressure up there that we see on St.Clair and Erie.....if BASS or the FLW ever held a tournament up there....it would take a 30+lb bag (5 fish) to win on the last day and a 5+lb avg. to make the cut!!!! it's pure "Toadapalooza" up there!!

Mac... I'll pick you up on the side of the road as i DRIVE BY (or I'll pull off and pick you up...LOL) that does sound promising

Let's do it,.....you pick up Andy on your way up.....Mini and I will meet you up there and we'll whack the smallies until the sun goes down!! I'm not fishing as many tournaments this year as I have in the past just so I can do a LOT MORE of that kind of stuff!! I'm going to do a lot more pleasure fishing this year all over MI vs. the tournament scene,......I'll do a few weekday tourney's,..but I'm goin' toad huntin' on weekends this year!!! that's a promise to my self!! LOL

I dream of the day of cathchin smallies till my arms ache.

Mac,

You get me a list of "prime times" and I'll bounce my calendar around... (I on the other hand am doing three Walleye Series and a few club bass tourneys and some pleasure trips) But, I try to fish EVERY WEKEND and keep my wife happy by being gone!!! I'd love to hook up.. later PS sent you an e-mail at aol..

Greg

Prime time depends on the weather,...but May/June is usually excellent.....with the real primo times being mid-late June!

We'll connect!!

Mac

Don't forget me! I make my way up there every once in awhile. Burt and Mullet lakes are also very good Michigan Lakes for smallies if interested.

Corey

Anybody who wants to come up is welcome!! We'll just pick a weekend and go fishin'!!

Scott,

Only spot left is the "Chartreuse Micro Buss"... Peace sign and well you know the rest..

I'm definitely IN!

I head up that way each fall (right before school starts up again) with Jake...2 years ago we hit Skegmog...Jake skunked me!!! Everyone said we were too early for the toads.

I need some schoolin' up there on them toads!!!

az

I got all of June off this year, just tell me when/where to be!!!!!

Got to put my 2 cents in here, mac I think one of the lakes Shaw and Kevin fished was lake leelanau. and just to let everbody know the bay is still open,but you got to be one tough ][;;',;, to be on there now lol. you guys come up here and we will all go out and get some of them mi. toads

bob.

Don't forget me!!! We can break the trip up and save some money by spending a Friday night at Camp Neeley and driving the rest of the way Saturday morning.

ok, exactly where are we heading?

A quick check on mapquest shows traverse city at 600 miles.

what "general area" are we talkin' bout here?

All the water we're talking about is in the "general area" of Traverse City...most is just a bit south...

az

Ken,

You're guaranteeing that the "impromptu" Euchre lessons for Scott will be "CHEAPER" than a ***** Hotel room... I Think that may crimp my style!!!! LOL I'm looking at one or two Euchre Lessons being good for a few "thou"!!!

Sure glad all you fellow are heading for Wi. that will leave me all alone on my N.Y. lakes..

Mac, Andy, Corey, Mini, Simnitro, Ken, et al.

I am going to use the "Event" board to post a "June 2003 Mich Fishing Trip" Thread... to organize this...and coordinate it with Mac, et al...

Is this Michigan fishing trip open to everyone? I'd like to make a trip up this summer.

Ken and Mac, how far and long from Plattsburgh?

Bob G.

Chartreuse Micro Buss.....

Did I ever tell you the stories about how high and how fast we used to get there using this hookah Ken made from a water jug filled with ice with a second pass through a bottle of red wine inside the jug..........

Who's bringing the munchies?

As I said earlier in a thread about schedules. The bass season opens in Michigan on the Saturday before Memorial Day, this year I think it is May 24. Lake St Clair on the American side opens the third Saturday in June. The Canadian side and the rest of Ontario, Erie included, opens a week after.

I will be fishing on Saginaw Bay Memorial weekend and the weekend after in the Greater North Tournaments East Michigan Trail (took a second there last year). The following weekend, June 6 & 7, I will be in Rapid City on the Torch River fishing the Michigan BASS Chapter Federation tournament on Elk and Tourch Lakes (near Traverse). Then the next weekend....lol you get the idea. Most, if not all of my weekends are spent fishing local and regional tournaments from Mid April thru October. July 4 and Labor Day are typically the only weekends I have off. Although the second weekend in June might be open, but if it is I will be prefishing St Clair for opening day.

Now during the week....thats a whole diferent story.

Mini

I know...we'll get a life sized cardboard cutout of Mini made up by7 Mac... Then we'll "outfish" our "Virtual Mini"... and Razz the crap out of him... Teach him a lesson for not showing up.... I have a busy tournament schedule but not that busy... But, as "weird" as you might find it I have suggested the second weekend in June... for our little Soiree' ...

Or..... I could just pretend to be a "Mini Mini".....

.....and outfish the lot of you!

I don't want to take on the responibility of turning this into a "Northern Rally"......but I'm all for "wingin' it" and just picking a weekend and everybody converging on the TC area!! There's PLENTY of lodging up there and camping etc..etc....we can hook up with my buddy Dick and our own Bob from this site,..we'll just go fishin' and there's soooo much good water up there that we can go to several different lakes and the Bay if it's weather conducive!!

If we get a "blow day" and the bay is torn up...we can go inland to any number of lakes.....it's paradise up there!

We'll figure something out when it get's closer....it'll be a riot!

Mac

BTW Bob,.....I heard lasnite via the "Mininet" that the lake they were on WAS leelanau..I thought I recognized one of the houses on the point,..but I wasn't sure.

Latest posts

Back