1995 Nitro 170dc Fuel line and primer bulb replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobsizz

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1995 Nitro 170dc with a Mercury 90hp 2 stroke. I am looking to replace the fuel line from the tank to the engine. I would like to get it as an assembly if possible. On the line it says 3/8's. And the connector that plugs into the engine has no markings. Has anyone replaced all that? I would like quality parts. I am currently having to pump the bulb every time I start the engine no matter if I just shut it off 5 minutes ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 20230408_145341.jpg
    20230408_145341.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230408_145402.jpg
    20230408_145402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230408_152601.jpg
    20230408_152601.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220924_095019.jpg
    20220924_095019.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
In my opinion (for what it's worth), if you have to pump the primer bulb and it does prime the engine, then it's doing what is supposed to do and the primer bulb is not the issue. You probably have a small air leak or small fuel leak caused by improper clamping of the fuel hoses or one or more of the fuel hoses is cracked or the fuel pump isn't working correctly and not maintaining fuel pressure. I'm not completely familiar with Mercury, but there is also a tracker valve that can cause your issue. My bet is that you'll need to overhaul the fuel pump (diaphragm and gaskets). All of this can be done at home without taking it to a shop.

If the line looks old, it should be replaced, they had trouble with the ethanol breaking down the inside liner of fuel hoses.

Agreed. Especially the gray ones. They have a plastic liner that degrades over time and actually clogs the fuel line. Better to go with black fuel line that you can buy at an automotive store.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), if you have to pump the primer bulb and it does prime the engine, then it's doing what is supposed to do and the primer bulb is not the issue. You probably have a small air leak or small fuel leak caused by improper clamping of the fuel hoses or one or more of the fuel hoses is cracked or the fuel pump isn't working correctly and not maintaining fuel pressure. I'm not completely familiar with Mercury, but there is also a tracker valve that can cause your issue. My bet is that you'll need to overhaul the fuel pump (diaphragm and gaskets). All of this can be done at home without taking it to a shop.
Right, I rebuilt the fuel pump and it is working great now. Thanks 😊

Latest posts

Back