Shackle absorber upgrade kit

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sejirele

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Nitro ZV19 on a tandem axle trailer. I want to upgrade my shackle assemblies with one of the absorber units. All of them say they are for 33" wheel base. Mine is 30.5" Does anyone make a unit for the 30.5" wheelbase?

I may be wrong , but the 33" is from center line of hub in front and center line of hub on rear.
Just trying to help

Yes. I measured center to center on the hub.
It's probably 33" you have to take in account the curve of the leaf springs for the right length

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230715-203539_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715-203539_Photos.jpg
    916.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for those that have replied. I have in fact been down all of these paths. The 2019 Nitro trailer apparently has a unique shorter wheel base. The small 6000lb kit from Dexter or anyone else will not fit. I had seen someone on a forum who had identified this previously and I thought had listed a solution, I just can't find it.

These should work https://www.etrailer.com/p-K71-652-...Double-Eye Springs - Tandem,Item # K71-652-00 What you are looking for is the distance between the center of the bolts that go through the shackle and the ends of the leaf springs. What they mean by smoother ride isn't what you may think it is. My sister has the moRide version of these on her camper trailer, the main difference they noticed was the little vibrations on the highway that cause items like dishes and other loose light things not moving around much. Remember that leaf springs only move up and down about 2-3 inches max. That said you have a boat, that means you should have already secured things already because the shock of driving a boat will far exceed anything you might encounter on the road. You will still encounter what they call shucking which is the axle with the most weight on it following its typical track and the lighter axle jumping sideways to compensate. This is unavoidable. I drive a triple axle truck during harvest sometimes but lift that third axle when I drive around a paved yard area because of the side forces of those lighter axles are great enough to damage tires, bearing and axles. For the money these cost on a boat trailer carrying a light load of 4000 lbs. it probably isn't worth it, on a camper with a lot of small loose items that can be jostled about yes, they would save putting everything back in their place. Putting money in stronger shackle hangers and brass bushings on your current setup would be better spent. That's my two cents.
Dexter.png

@Starbanker - I appreciate the detailed reply. You're right, I'm not so worried about the dishes bouncing around LOL. I recently had a shackle bolt break on a trip and noticed that the equalizer is hitting the frame on both sides. I replaced the one bolt to keep me going. I'm not launching over any railroad tracks but I am driving a lot of miles on rough MN roads (5000lb Nitro ZV 19). I just want to beef up the assembly. I did some more investigation and confirmed that the dims of this item match the dims of my stock equalizer bar. I was hung up on the wheel base always being noted at 33" and mine is 30.5" but that is most likely due to shorter leaf springs and that ultimately doesn't matter. The kit I'm looking at comes with all new greaseable bolts, new bronze bushings and much heavier shackle straps.
1689631823903.png
1689632380080.jpeg

1689632479294.jpeg

Attachments

• 1689632241483.jpeg
    1689632241483.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
You’re welcome, I too drive a lot of crappy Minnesota roads Hwy. 34 NE of Detroit Lakes for example. I lost a brake caliper bolt off my SUV after that run. For sure those Nitro trailers have pretty lightweight hangers, I’m going to weld an additional 1/4inch to those and switch out my bushings. My Z19 is fairly light on the trailer and the bunks are large. Your boat is hefty, I have a friend with one. One thing I would also recommend is pick up is some half inch spiral wire wrap for where wires take corners through the gunwales and replace the split wrap where the swing away opens. Unlike Rangers Nitros don’t use pvc piping to route wires, everything is quite exposed to sharp cut fiberglass.

I HIGHLY advise replacing stock parts with the Dexter EZ kit. My trailer, a new
2023 Z19, only a few trips in and ready making noise, vibration pulling it, etc. I'm suprised on how chincy the stock parts are, plastic bushings, lots of play. The upgrade was easy, did myself in about 2 hrs. I opted to put grease fittings to inside of trailer to make for easier greasing. Second side goes fast once you have it figured out.

UPDATE: I noticed I had the brackets wrong on the shackle. They should be a W. After, a few cuss words and starting to take it apart again, i found a video to "flip" the brackets. If you do it without the boat on the trailer your going to need to hold trailer down. I wedged a 2x4 from trailer to ceiling truss in garage. One bracket should be close to upright. Lift the the axle that has the correct or close to positioned bracket (left side in first pic, right side needed to flip) the other bracket will twist around. I used another jack to get it that into a positive position then slowly lowered 1st jack. Watch your fingers, lots of pressure.
😉

Attachments

• 20230729_132325.jpg
    20230729_132325.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230729_185711.jpg
    20230729_185711.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I highly suggest replacing the stock
@Starbanker - I appreciate the detailed reply. You're right, I'm not so worried about the dishes bouncing around LOL. I recently had a shackle bolt break on a trip and noticed that the equalizer is hitting the frame on both sides. I replaced the one bolt to keep me going. I'm not launching over any railroad tracks but I am driving a lot of miles on rough MN roads (5000lb Nitro ZV 19). I just want to beef up the assembly. I did some more investigation and confirmed that the dims of this item match the dims of my stock equalizer bar. I was hung up on the wheel base always being noted at 33" and mine is 30.5" but that is most likely due to shorter leaf springs and that ultimately doesn't matter. The kit I'm looking at comes with all new greaseable bolts, new bronze bushings and much heavier shackle straps.
View attachment 3296View attachment 3298

View attachment 3299
Along with changing out the stock suspension parts with the HD wet bolt kit, I highly suggest replacing the stock equalizer with an upgraded one that will dampen vibration, such as the MorRyde 3000 or the Dexter one. I opted for the MorRyde myself. The ride in my trailer was changed significantly by doing so.

Latest posts

Back