Service Tools

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD Johnson

Reaction score
My future son in law was telling me about a tool he bought for changing the lower unit oil in his Yamaha engine that just plugs into the lowest hole and then you fill it til it comes out the fill level hole.

Does anyone no wher I can find something like this for my Merc 125ELPTO?

check with snap on tools, i think thats where the guys in my shop got there's

If you buy the Quicksilver/Mercury L/U gear lube in the tube, you can just screw it into the bottom plug and squeeze the tube empty (roll it up like toothpaste) until it comes out the top hole. (2-3 tubes should do it, 30-ish ounces, or until it weeps out top hole when straight up and down.) Plug the hole with your finger while switching tubes. Just about any marine supply, BPS, etc. will have a pump unit you can use on the larger fill and some will even have a unit that hooks into a compressed air system. The tubes are easy and cheap enough for a do-it-yourself project. Make sure you replace the o-rings/gaskets on the fill/vent plugs at the same time. Good luck!

JDJ, what Dan said... The Mercury oil I use comes in a plastic container that is quart sized and has the part you're looking for. One end screws into the oil container and the other end screw into the lower unit. Easy as pie.. Make darn sure you put the lower unit screws and o-rings where you can't lose them or knock them over. I learned that the hard way.

Hey, here's a link to a Cabela's page where you can see what I was talking about.

Bill

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...returnString=hasJS=true&_D:hasJS=+&QueryText=

Thanks everyone,

My wife drug me to Wallyworld after church to get a vacumn cleaner filter and I wondered over to the marine section and found a QuickSilver pump with the adapter for the Mercury that fits the QuickSilver quart bottles for seven bucks.

Do I need to change the o-rings on a new boat or every time I change the oil?

Thanks again.

JDJ

It's extremely cheap insurance to put new o-rings/gaskets on the fill/vent plugs at every service. A bad or smashed seal can allow water intrusion which can explode a L/U due to lack of lubrication or allow a freeze which will crack a housing and/or gears. You can usually buy a 6 pack of o-rings or gaskets at West Marine or Boater's World for under $5.

Thanks, I know they say the same thing about all o-rings and I never have changed them unless they showed signs of detioration and I have never had one leak. I do use o-ring lube though when installing or re-installing them though.

I will take the advice of the more experienced and get new o-rings before I change it.

That little pumper is slicker that frog snot.

I have used mine for filling up my transmission, transfer case and axles on my truck also.

Got it at the local marina a few years back,well worth the few bucks.

Steve

Second the replacing O-rings.

Replaced my gear lube this spring and didn't take boat out from mid-May until mid-October. When I went to hook it up, noticed a puddle under LU and streak of lube coming from drain hole.

Gotta go get some new seals and replace them along with putting new lube in.

My boat is a 2000 and I've never replaced them.

Latest posts

Back