Serious tow vehicle question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
OK, just hooked up the beast and found out what I suspected, needed a new EGR. So, $130 later I have one, now I need to install it. I am fed up with this piece of $#!+. Anyhow, I don't want to really paint all GM products with the same brush, so I want to get a newer tow vehicle and want to know the honest, good, bad, and ugly on all your tow TRUCKS. No wagons Trep! LOL I would still consider a suburban or tahoe if the price doesn't force me to take out a 2nd mortgage! LOL Here are my considerations

Ford Expedition, 4.6, 8 cyl

Ford Explorer with 8 cyl

Dodge Dakota 4x4 w 318, 8 cyl

Suburban, not sure what size but an 8 cyl

What kind of mileage do you get if you have these rigs. Biggest problems? Etc, etc. I am seriously going to look at new trucks and hopefully have one by the weekend. Can't get a new boat if I can't tow it cause the truck is dead in the driveway! LOL

rob what year dakotas are you looking at? if you are looking at anything newer then a 99 it wont have a 318 in it. the new small v7 is the 4.7l ohc v8. The 4.7 is a much better motor then the 318 it replaced. its every bit at torquey, gets better milage and has more hp. The idfference between it and the 360 is pretty slim power wise. I own a dakota with the 4.7 and its a wonderfull tow vehicle. It pulls much better then yhe gm v8 i had before it. I tow an 882 with a 150 and a ton of stuff. i mainly tow in the mountoians in nh and i havent yet found a hill i cant climb. I get about 13 towing and 15 around town. if you buy a new one get the 3.92 gears and locking differental and the tow group. the tow group comes with everything you need, a hd radiator, tranny cooler, bigger brakes, hitch and wires, bigger alt, atc. my truck never heats up even on the hottest days.

I've got a Ford Expy with the 5.4l to tow my PT175. I barely notice it's back there. If you are looking at the Expy as a tow vehicle, I would look to the 5.4l instead of the 4.6, unless you are going with the 4X2. With the 4X4, that is just too much vehicle for the 4.6 to move around. The 5.4 is just barely tolerable. In 2004, Ford is upping the 5.4l to 300hp, I may have to look at trading.;-)

For what it's worth I towed my Nitro 896 with a Durango with the 5.9L and factory tow package (3.92 rear). Never a problem. Also tow a 24 foot pleasure boat with same results. The 5.9 is a great engine, but as was said the 4.7 if just a good with better gas mileage. Can't say much about the Fords and Chebbies except an Explorer with the 4.0 6 cylinder didn't get it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I have a Mountaineer (2000) with the BIG v8 in it (5.xL - not sure of the exact size.

It works great as a two vehicle on both the Targa that I have (still for sale btw), and the Stratos. It gets about 18-20 mpg in and around town if you pay attention to how you drive it. If you don't, it goes down rapidly.

On the road towing one of the boat, it drops dramatically. Probably gets no better than 10-12 mpg in the hilly Carolina countryside.

Down side for me is that the SUV's, are harder to see out of when backing. It's easier, now that I don't have the tall/wide Targa behind, but it's much easier out of a pickup. Also, with a pickup, you can get up/down in/out of the bed and or tailgate, if needed at the ramp. With the SUV, ain't gonna happen. Also, with the trailer on, I cannot open the rear hatch. Something to consider.

I have always been a fan of Mopar, for heavier duty trucks and towing capabilities. Haven't ridden in or driven any of the new ones though (last 4-5-6 years).

Had a Ranger (v6 5 speed) before the Mountaineer. We've had good success with Ford built the past 8 years or so, from their truck line.

Hope that this helps.

From your list above, I'm not sure that I'd be interested in only a 318 V8. Seems a little small to do any serious towing.

Tex

Thanks Mike, that was my concern about the 4.6. I was thinking hey, I have a 4.3, 6 cyl, a 4.6, 8 can't be much beefier.

Jim,

The Dakota is a 96 I think, the way I like them. I can tear that truck apart and put it back together again. It is the 318, and that motor rocks!

Oh, also, I need either a 4 door pickup or a full size SUV. I need to be able to seat at least 2 clients with me in the cab (rules our single cab P/U) and 2 full size dog kennels in the back with guns and a cooler for fall trips. This eliminates most mid size SUVs. The Explorer has a surprising about of room back there for it's size. The least I found was the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the seats don't fold all the way down either. Not very practical. Luxurious ride, but again, not very practical.

How about a Mack Truck with a sleeper cab! Geesh you have a lot of needs. I don't know if you can be helped. You could get some counciling for this you know. Don't forget to tell the therapist about the Pink Panty thing you got goin on. It could be the root of the problem.

Hope you find what your looking for,

Hey maybe a Hummer!

Wolf

It sounds like a dakota quad cab would be just right for you. I really like mine. I dont think they started making the quad dakota until 2000. I have a friend hwo has the normal ext cab one and forget about putting an adult back there. The quad on the other hand has 4 full zise doors and plenty of space.

You know I tow with a 5.0 v8 exploder and I don't have any problems. It has the tow package. I may just keep on running it. That's pulling the 929 too.

TOXIC

Rob, I won't comment on GM's aside of I like mine.

You can get the Dakota Quad cab with the 360 as well as the 4.7. I wouldn't bother with the 318, the 4.7 is a much better motor. From what I have read, the Dakota's will need ball joints at 20K, brake rotors will warp (even more with towing) and watch out for the rear-end. Get the 3:92's as recommended by Jim and the locking diff as well.

look at dodgedakotas.com for more info.

hey rob i may be a litle biased because i get 24 mpg towing my boat with my explorer, with the 4.6 v-8. At normal highway speed 65 with no load i get 26 to 28 with cruise on.

Rob,

You've ridden in my tow vehicle... 2001 F-150 SuperCrew w/5.4L, 4X4, Off Road, 3.55 Limited Slip and I get 14-15 towing the boat on level flat highways... 12 in the hills. 49,000 miles and all I needed was a brake job, front and rear, that's just maintenance... Flawlesss vehicle from the day I took delivery...

I would test drive a Chevy Tahoe that has a V8 in it. Thoses things tow trailers like a dream and have good gas milage too. 16 to 17 city and 22 to 23 highway. Just my little input.

T.S.

Rob,if you get a dodge get the 318.I have the 6 cly and it is a gas hog!!!!!!Might as well have the extra power.

just traded my 4.3l Balzer in for a '99 5.7L V8 (350) Suburban. Towed my Deep V 17 for the first time Sunday and didnt even know it was behind me. Not sure bout mileage but I would guess 13-16. (but with a 42 gallon gas tank you fill up less! haha)

I vote for the full size Fords with a 4.2l in 4x2 or the 5.0 in 4.4, if you like the mid size try Jeeps out. The whole board is filled with Jeep Cherokee and Grands that owners just like me that have over 100k w/o any real problems. Having no idea what you drive today or if your are Ford, Chev or import kinda guy that would be my best guess. I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/4.0l and 110k & a 98 F150 4x2 w/4.2l and 60k. Love them both.

B/R

Wildwood

Rob - Go getcha a 96-98 Ford/Merc wagon, make sure it's the 3.0 DOHC V-6, should fecha ya about $6,500. THEN take it to your local hot-rod shop, have them swap the V6 for the old 5.0ltr V-8 (mustang or Tex's Mountaneer) then have them bore and stroke it out to a 5.4ltr, some eldenbrock headers, add the locking differencial 4X4 tranny from Greg's 150 and your off in STYLE. IT will fit RIGHT at home in your yard!!! LOL

Get what you can afford and still keep Momma and the little ones fed and clothed, NO MORE then that!! Oh and make sure you've maxed out their 529 plans, your 401K and Roth IRA's BEFORE you commit to that truck!

okay the new V8 explorers/mountaineers have the 4.6l the same as my f150 4x4 short bed and it tows my 901 well its pretty hilly here in the ohio river valley, gas mileage is in the 15 range towing ( thats up and down hills with some flat land here and there) 18-21 around town , but if you are going the extra weight of the expidition get the 5.4, the new 5.4 for this year (2004) is even better than the past models, new head design and intake and the converter in the trans is getting beefed up for more tourqe and better gas milage (how do I know I build them , the converters, the trany is assembled here also) Also they now have independent rear suspention (SP) on them. all the people that I know with the expedition with the 4.6 say it works but if they where to do it again they would only get the 5.4 for towing. Sorry dont know much about the chevys. One guy in the club has a newer dakota v8 he pulls his tr-21 with and he says it tows well but drinks gas bad but he is pulling a 21 foot boat what would anyone expect with a mid size truck, Im sure the full size dodges do well the only thing i do know that they use to eat tires on the 4x4s but Im sure they have worked that out by now( how do I know we got kin that have own a couple they love the truck they just said they ate tires and one still buys them he likes dodge like I like fords). the ranger I had had the 4.0 and it towed pretty good for a small v6 but it was a 2 wheel drive (ext cab Splash) my cousin had a explorer with the same motor and for around here it did okay but when he took it to tenn. he said the mountains where just to much for it and it was a dog, he upgraded to a 150 4x4 with the 5.4 and I have driven it and it does tow better up a hill better than mine we havnt noticed any differance in gas milage between the the 2 towing. my brother has a bronco with a 351 and my 4.6 will leave his up a hill (slowly) with me having a 901 to his avalanche but I have 4.10 gears and I beleive his has the 3.73's.

Rob,

Did you really expect to get a consensus on a tow vehicle...nah!! I have been looking (with an open mind) for the last 6 months. I want a truck so I limited my search to that. At first I was looking at the diesels and after visiting every makers "fan" websites, I found the pro's and con's to every make and model. I now am just looking at gassers in the HD range (3/4 ton). The extra price and torque in the diesels, while some might need it, were not enough to justify the price for me. My 929 can be pulled with the Explorer so, I don't think I need a diesel powerplant. I want something that I too can haul clients, family, gear, whatever. A 4 door truck is what I think will do the job best plus have a little added value when I need to haul somthing in the bed. Every maker has problems in some units (look at boats for cryin out loud) so bottom line is you have to do your own homework and make your own decision. I'm still on the fence (wife likes the looks of the Dodge's) and it will probably boil down to whichever dealer will give me a sponsor deal on the right truck. Although it is going to have to last me a Looooong time (I drive the wheels off em'). I think I can make it work with any makers truck. You can drive them hard but you have to take care of them. I'm an expert at that. So are you. So, take your best shot, don't be predjused to a brand (especially if buying used) and go get a vehicle.

TOXIC

I can tell you what I have used.

Had a Explorer with a 4 liter V6.......not enough for a big boat.

Then hade a F150 with 4.6 liter, it was nice and pulled well, but it was a single cab and liked to get squirrely in heavy winds while trailering.

Now I have an F250 Super Duty with 5.4 liter V8, 4x4. It is a SuperCab (fold back extra doors) and so far it has exceeded my expectations. Gas mileage is only OK, but I have mud tires on it, so it's not a fair comparison.............sa

Latest posts

Back