SeaFoam or Quickleen?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
Mercury recommends Quickleen in the Optimax, and I understand them trying to push their product, but is Seafoam just as good of a product?

Really would like to hear your opinions because Seafoam is much cheaper and I'd rather stick with it.

Thanks in advance!

I use Quickleen with mine. Thats what they recommended, so I stuck with it. Never had any issues. Youll be just at fine with Seafoam as well. Kinda like Lowrance and Hummingbirds. Both GREAT products, just personal preference and youll get all kinds of different answers!!!!! HA. Enjoy!

Well....the "doctor" says.....either is fine......under certain conditions. I prefer Sea-Foam because it serves three crucial functions.....it's a stabilizer, a fuel system cleaner, and a water dispersant. It's about as close to a "magic elixir" as I dare say. Bottom line is to use SOMETHING {or a combo thereof along the lines of a "cocktail"} to keep all system components clean, corrosion free, rings free, carbon free. They are all good products, just pay attention to what each one DOES and DOES NOT do. If you use your boat every day, and your fuel gets used quickly, the additive requirements are different {no real need for a stabilizer} from those who might use their boat once a week, month, or longer. Pontoon boats are the WORST. Small engines, use little to no fuel...fuel goes bad. Rememeber that untreated E-10 has a shelf life of APPROX 30 days, and more often than not shorter. Water separating filters, maintenance, and additives are paramount. Adjust your additive package to HOW YOU USE YOUR BOAT. I might mention one other crucial point.....whatever you choose, add it prior to your last use, and let it work it's way through the system. Top off the tank after every outing to minimize water absorbsion. ;)

Seafoam.....love it as much as my Bud light....it's in all of my engines, everything from my weed wacker to my S2000....been using it for a long time and in my 05 Merc 90 never had any issues with carbs, gas line, gas filter, primer bulb .... it's all good:eek:

Seafoam.....love it as much as my Bud light....it's in all of my engines, everything from my weed wacker to my S2000....been using it for a long time and in my 05 Merc 90 never had any issues with carbs, gas line, gas filter, primer bulb .... it's all good:eek:

Two exact same posts Mike! Keep out of the Bud Light! Ha ha!:lol:

Randy!

Thanks for the responses, that helps a lot. Ok next question...If I use Seafoam, do I still need to use Stabil since Seafoam is a stabilizer too?

Thanks again.

While this may seem to be a cost benefit or even a FISO-Chebby issue, there has to be some consideration to just doing what the manufaturer recommends. That immediately eliminates one opportunity for the manufacturer to wiggle out of a maintenance issue, particularly under warranty.

Agreed. One less chance. However, that does not seem to be an issue, especially with "name brand" products. Moonshine however, might pose a problem....:blink:

I'm with you Bob, but then I don't seem to get jammed up dealing with Tracker, Mercury, etc as many folks seem to do. I think my Bass Pro and my Mercury dealer wouldn't be upset even if I used moonshine ... unless of course it was from West Virginny instead of Old Kentuck ... :wacko::lol:

Hmmm.... we're all using moonshine now. That's what they are putting in our gas. Not good for the body or engine.

I don't understand why we waste corn by putting it in a gas tank. I think ol' Popcorn Sutton probably hosed himself because he was so despondent about such goin's on.

BTW, i learned first hand how ethanol ruins one's injectors. $1500 to replace in my Nissan Twin Turbo!

Randy, both the Bud and Seafoam are that good had to repeat...but Bud is not good in the AM Ha....guess I didn't give the first post enough time to load......

I use Don's recipe

2 ounces of Seafoam

1 ounce of Quickleen

1 ounce of Stabil Marine Ethanol treatment

per 6 gallons of fuel.

Latest posts

Back