Scott: Fishing Dates

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I talked to the missuz about going trout fishing on the Current and/or up to Mark Twain, and here's what I got:

a.) I promised her that the interior trim around our new windows would be done by August. I just picked up the wood and paint last weekend, and I'm picking up the mitre saw this weekend.

b.) I promised one of my cousins that I would teach him how to fish this summer. I'd almost forgotten about that one, but she has a memory like a steel trap. She said that if I didn't follow through, she'd be pretty disappointed in me.

I've got to do the windows this month, which will pretty much take up every weekend and most evenings. That puts us into August at the earliest. A compromise would be to take my cousin up to Mark Twain and both of us teach him how to fish. But that would be on new water for me, and my other choice was to take him down to the Scout Ranch where he has a better chance of catching some bass.

Anyway, I didn't want you to think I was ignoring your post.

Vacation was great. My dad caught some decent trout (see the link below), and they enjoyed Branson. He can't swim and has a life jacket taht looks like it belongs to a Coast Guardsman. Never takes it off. But on the first day out, he was on the back platform of the TV-18. At on point I turned around to talk to him and saw that he had taken it off. He said it was because he felt safe (and that he knew I wouldn't let anything happen to him if he fell in!). We even got out on Table Rock with FOUR of us in the boat! No problem getting on plane and running 52 mph with a full tank of gas.

Last weekend my wife and I were invited to spend the holiday with the parents of one of her students from last year. His Lund was the victim of minks chewing up the wiring for the trolling motor, so we took our boat down. He told me that he had never been in a Tracker product, and that he was pretty impressed with how well my boat fished. We did pretty well fishing for trout, but stunk up the water trying to catch bass. Too much traffic and the season for night fishing made it difficult. I had really hoped to catch my first TR bass, but it wasn't to be.

I really do want to fish the Current, and Mark Twain is closer than I had originally thought, so I'll do my best to carve out a couple of Saturdays.

MO

MO-

Do you actually "fill up" your TV-18?

The closest I have come is 30 gallons when at Kentucky Lake last year...that lasted until the fifth day...

I don't have enough "big" water around here to warrant that much gas...

It sure is nice to have a tank that size, though...have many "jealous" friends whose bass boats do not have that much space...In fact, one of the guys that goes to Kentucky Lake with us has a ProCraft...he takes a spare jug of gas out in the boat "just in case"...think his tank is only like 12 gallons...

TV-18's RULE!!!

az

You let me know.....

I will likely be going up to Mark Twain next weekend for a day (the 20th or 21st) to do some scouting for the possibility of a rally there next year - AND of course, a little fishing..... If you think you might like to come along, let me know!

Great pictures of your dad and family!

me!

Thanks for being so understanding, Scott. I will definitely look at my August calendar, although Mark Twain in September may be better as the air temps cool down. I've got your numbers in my Palm Pilot and my cell phone.

Andy, yes I fill it completely up. The 150 drinks like a sailor on shore leave. I'll pump gas until I hear it gurgle up the fill pipe and stop before it overflows. Most of the time, I'll burn 3/4 of a tank over a three day period, which leaves a good margin of safety. On Lake of the Ozarks, it's not uncommon to make a 20- or 30-mile run from the dock to a particular spot.

I love the quantity you can carry, but I hate the Tigger-style gas gauge. "Bouncy, trouncy, pouncy, all-over-the-place" and it reads about 1/4 tank off after a few gallons have been drained. I was in a 24 foot Sea Ray last weekend. The gas meter was like a rock. You KNEW how much was in that tank!

MO

Scott...Mo... September scouting trip would be ideal for me also...kids back in school and work will be a little slower... Scott, I'll call you...haven't forgotten...but don'tr have the info I wanted to share...

I might be interested in meeting up with you guys at Mark Twain too. Keep the info here on the board and I'll follow along. I'm less than an hour and a half from there, and would want to tow my Tundra up there.

Never fished the lake, but last weekend I watched a "Fishing Missouri" show on TV that spotlighted Mark Twain. They said that the water is frequently turbid, and you can catch fish shallow all year. And large baits do well for some reason.

Anyway keep me in the loop.

Back