Say a Little Prayer

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
As you all know, CIII and I are doing the Wounded Soldiers/American Heros tournament tomorrow. Forcast calls for mid 90's:eek: Say a little prayer for us tonight to be safe and hopefully keep the temps in check. I really want these guys to have a good day and heat stroke is NOT on my agenda.

I've been guzzeling water all day in preperation (tip from CIII), what else can we do to get hydrated. I'll wager that I'm gonna drop some serious weight tomorrow:lol: (not a bad thing). I know the wet towel on the neck and constant in-flow of water...what else?

TOXIC

Good luck guys, I know those soldiers will enjoy their time on the water. Tox - Just stay away from the beans and nacho's tonite!!! LOL

Lots of ice and drinks (not too sugary or any alcohol, H2O primarily) with a clean, fresh washcloth for each person. A nice cool occasional wipe with the chilly, damp cloth will carry a long way in the heat. The clean cloth is also a big help soaked and filled with ice chips if anyone gets too much heat. Dope 'em up good with a 50 block or more sun block. If you think there is any chance anyone has had too much heat, get 'em shady and cooling fast. Keep meals/snacks as light as possible. (Chilled fruit is ideal for days like that!) Throw a pineapple in the cooler and/or some melons and keep 'em cold then split and share to refresh the "troops".

Above all, take care and tell 'em I said THANKS!!!:D

I had tuna Dagwoods and hummus tonight, them boys are in for a real treat tomorrow. :lol::lol:

Thanks Marty, I guess I need to re-read my own post!!:lol:

Dan, I am actually taking a couple of "Absorbers" the kind you use to dry your car. I dip them in cold water and wrap them on my neck when I get too hot. I'm also packin as much water as the ice chest on the boat will hold!! A few Propels also. Gotta get to bed, I have to meet CIII at 0530 for chow...that means I have to pull outta here by 0430!!:eek::eek: I'll post some pics when I get back.

TOXIC

I do not post here much but read alot, Toxic you may not remember me but we fished together on Lake Champlain, I was with Rob. The most important thing in hot weather is that your drinks replace electrolytes. H2O does not do that. A police friend of mine had a fellow college die while taking part in a police race in DC in very hot weather but drinking just H2O.

DGWard what should you use if not water? Something like GatorAde maybe? I know when I was cutting grass it always helped me.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy - most sport drinks work and yes you are right GatorAid will work. My point is if it is hot out and you are sweating/exercising a lot it is important that you replace the electrolytes for health reasons.

Water is the safest liquid to drink during heat emergencies. Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine in them. They can make you feel good briefly, but make the heat's effects on your body worse. This is especially true about beer, which dehydrates the body.

This is but a tiny reference included in a great article by The American Red Cross about how to combat heat. I heartily suggest everyone working/playing outside to take a moment and read it from the link below. Be careful out there!

http://www.redcross.org/services/prepare/0,1082,0_243_,00.html

That's a great article Dan and it's worth saving. I hope everyone was real careful today out on the water.. I've seen Toxics thighs and legs purple from the sun..It's NOT a pretty sight.:eek::lol:

Uncle Billy

UB - Just the fact that you saw his thighs is enough to scare the beejeebee's out of you. Yuck! LOL

Well guys, it went well!!! Could have used a few more boaters is all (I took out two).

What an example of the human spirit and the will of an American.

I had a young guy (called me Sir..uuggh) about 24ish that was missing his leg below the knee on the right side. He was from Wisconsin (did not hold THAT against himHAHAH)and we bass fished for three hours in the AM. He stood up on the front deck the entire time too! Did not get any bass, but he did get a catfish and a crappie on a spinner bait.....

Afternoon we swung for the fences....went for the BIG cats...did not get any big ones (marked them on the Lowrance) but no eats.....

Had a female on the boat that was same age, and she just enjoyed the solitude. She took a nap on the back deck, sunned some and ahd her feet in the water..she did niss one good catfish bit as it stripped soem line and took her bait....

Man, was it freaking HOT out yesterday!!! We drunk so much I thought I was gonna float away.....I made sure they were slathered up in sunscreen and we had plenty of drinks to boot.....

It was a super good time for a good cause.....

My hats off to them to hold the line for US and as they said on the way back, "I do this becuase I want to do something worthwhile with my life"...damn if that do not get you then nothing will....

BTE female has volunteered to go back to the Box...hard core man, hard core...

Semper fidelis

Carlos

BTW You shuld have heard them hooting and holering when we re up on plane runing about 60! They LOVED the speed!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

We had a 100+ heat index yesterday!! Just to add to what CIII posted, there were 3 wheelchair soldiers and 2 of them were double amputees. I went with CIII to try for some big cats and when you swing for the fences sometimes you hit a home run, sometimes you strike out!!:lol: I thought it would have been really cool for the 2 of us to come back with some 30lb cats!! Anyway.....The event itself raised over $6,000 for the 40 or so soldiers that were there. All $$ awarded in gift cards. All got gift cards. They got hats, t-shirts, grab bags from Bass Pro Shops and one of the best BBQ's I've ever been to!! Just to show you the dedication of these soldiers, the guy I took out was 37yrs old, college educated and has 16yrs in the military. He was a flight medic and rescue swimmer. Had a pretty good life but wanted to do more so he switched to infantry!! After all of the physical training it took to be a swimmer, he returned from an infantry mission and his heart started acting funny and he went down...ended up blowing an aorta and they did open heart surgery. He was still super glued shut yesterday!! YEOW!! Puts meaning to to the statement that these soldiers are ready, willing and able to lay down their lives for this country. God Bless them all.

As always, this event means as much to me as it does to the soldiers. Besides, I got CIII to buy me breakfast!!:lol: I want to personally thank some of my sponsors that contributed to the success of the day. Bass Pro Shops, Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits, KeelShield and Guest Chargers.

TOXIC

IF they ever have something like this even close to my area I'm on board. Thanks for doing what you did.

Mike Grandick

aka

fatrap

Hope you Have The Best Ever It's Great what you 2 do....You know I Appreciate It..Wish I was closer so I could help.....Catch Lots guy's.....JR

You guys are awesome. Thanks for giving back!

Thanks so much Carlos and Toxic!!! Both of you are tops in my book for what you did and have done before for those troops. Man, you guys had me doing a lot of sniffling while reading your 'reports'... I wholeheartedly love all of our troops in uniform and in harms way over there and I wish them all a safe trip back home when it's time. I just wish I could do something more. Maybe by next year I'll be able to somehow. God Bless you two and all of the others who helped out today and God Bless all of our brave young men and women!!!!:wub:

Uncle Billy

Kudos to you both and all the others who worked so hard to put on the tournament. I love the spirit of our Wounded Warriors of all services.

Good idea on the absorber towels for those hot days. Do you leave them soaking wet since they have so much coolant in them or do you wring them out? I'm thinking leaving them full of coolant gives longer cooling time before re-wet.

I'm thinking Gatorade [or similar] is good, but I think one needs to take in a greater percentage of pure water.

Marty, the Absorbers were lifesavers. I know they have gel filled neck coolers etc., but these worked really well. Well wet, then wrung out just to the point they did not drip. As we all know, the cooling effect is from evaporation and it worked like a charm, felt like there was AC blowin on your head!! It got sooo hot, I could not pick up my reels on the front deck!! They were hot enough to burn your hand. My deck was too hot to stand on barefoot and I have light beige carpeting!! I started drinking the day before and I was POUNDING the water all day. After 3 waters I would do a Gatoraide, then back to the water. I'll tell you this, I went to the head before we shoved off and never went again the whole day. I would estimate that I drank 3 to 4 gallons of water. It was the first time in my life I used SPF 50 sunscreen. As most know, normally I don't use any but it is a good thing I did. The ride home in the truck and AC was just a little slice of heaven!!:lol:

TOXIC

Great job fellas!!! I'm proud of you all and the heroes in your boats. It's soul-nourishing to see some giving back a small portion of what so many have given without hesitation; some giving the ultimate gift for us all.

On a side note, service your hot weather fishing reels frequently. Heat strips oil and grease from parts FAST!! They shouldn't need the yearly full service, but reloading the grease to gears and oil to bearings is a necessity. I use grease (still liking 'da Hot Sauce) on the worm gear in warm months then switch back to oil on it for cooler weather.

Again, GREAT JOB!!! I'm honored to know "youse guys"!:D

Thanks Toxic, but here's something that I know you've heard before but maybe forgot--the cooling effect is also from keeping the blood flow cool as it passes through the neck to your BHG [brain housing group].

Latest posts

Back