Open Invitation

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Well gang, tomorrow is the American Heros/Wounded Soldier Tournament. Anybody within driving distance that wants to come out for good food, great fun and a lot of sponsor raffle prizes should head on down to Columbia Island Marina. It is near the Pentagon. These troops could really use the support. Hopefully this weather will hold off and it will be a partly cloudy cool day for the soldiers. Us old gator skinned guides are used to the heat and humidity but I really want it to be enjoyable for them. It'll be the only time you ever see a nasty catfish come out of my livewell (and that is only if I can't get on the bass). I have a secret hole where there have been 30, 40 and 50lb cats caught but believe me I don't want to pull that card if I don't have to. :lol: I can't think of a better cause to donate my time and effort to. So little for so much. I'll tell you this, there ain't a dry eye in the place at the award ceremony!! I'll be there in my KeelShield Day-Glo shirt and very hard to miss!!

TOXIC

God Bless America

God Bless our Troops

Tox.... Thanks for giving back for all of us...

Well, here's the update from the tournament......I gotta say this event gets better and better every year. I look forward to the day when we can't have it because that means no more wounded in Walther Reed or Bethesda Medical Center!! Until that time I'm gonna do this EVERY year. As usual, the weather didn't want to cooperate with 15-20 knot winds and rain and to make it even worse, in the afternoon we had incoming wind with outgoing tide and for those who fish the Potomac you know that is a receipe for big water. My soldier had metal rods in his neck so I had to take it very carefully (good thing we were in my smooth ridin 929!!). In the morning we ran up the Washington channel to fish "general's row" and promptly got run off by law enforcement.....ooops.... gues with the new homland security regs it is now off limits. So we continued up the channel past the fish market to the wall where the tidal basin drains. Got a couple bass. white perch and even a smallmouth. On the way back for lunch, the tide had changed to outgoing and it was rough....very rough. Thats when I made the call (and so did most everybody else) to stay in the sheltered cove of the marina. Yep....that meant it was going to be a catfish-a-pooloza. For all you Norfers, my soldier was from Wisconsin and a Packer-Backer. He was stone faced and quiet most of the morning so I went to work on him and by the afternoon he was talking and laughing (a little healing TOXIC style!!). At the weigh in one of the other soldiers came up to me and told me that he had not said 2 words the whole time he was in the hospital. Anybody that fishes with me knows I can't keep my yap shut, I was bound and determined to get this guy to a happier place. And that happy place was 5th, worth a $250 gift certificate to Wal-Mart. Here are a couple of pics.

tentsm.jpg

Pretty good sack of whiskers if I do say so myself!!

mikesm.jpg

It was great fun and you could really tell the change in attitude in all of the soldiers, I swear, I get more out of this than they do!!

TOXIC

That brought more rthan one tear to my eyes... Thanks Tox

Great job, Tox!!!!

TJ (another "stone-faced quiet" Packer Backer:huh:)

Ya know I'm just not set up for catfishin!! I scoured my boat for treble hooks and had zip....So, out came the needle nose and a few of my cranks lost their bite!!LOL!! I'm too good of a catfish guide, now I have to go out and clean a lot of slime off the carpets and my livewells are full of liver....yuuuuuuk!! It's gonna feel good cleanin it up though!! Here are a few more pics.

Every soldier got a goodie bag and as many t-shirts as they wanted. Here's a shot of them picking up the goods

groupsm.jpg

And here is Scott Favors and myself plugging one of our sponsors. Yamamoto sent 30 pounds of plastics to give away.

gunnysm.jpg

And of course me suckin up to the date I brought to the dance. Believe me I took my share of ribbing!!LOL!!

toxsm.jpg

TOXIC

TOX,

Wish I could have been there. Next year, next year, next year. Did Gunny give away the 4 pairs of SolarBat Sunglasses too?

All the best,

Glenn

Great job Tox. Sounds like it was another great sucess.

Only wish my boat was big enough to bring down to help out.

Steve

You're a good man Mr. Hammer...It is my pleasure to know you.. I WILL be there next year to help you all out. Count on it.

Uncle Billy

Tox - Give us a few weeks notice next year so we can rearrange our schedules. Would have loved to help out if I had know earlier.

Thanks for your continued support for the troops. Sounds like a good time was had by all, except for the catfish!

Bill,

Will be the weekend around June 5th each year. But for planning, look for the free weekend fishing in DC. That is where they usually try and plan the TX around.

Carlos

CIII - Thanks for the info. I have it on my calendar for next year. Count me in! Will they let an old Air Force guy help?????? Most say USAF wasn't really part of the military! Haha

My boat isn't big enough but I'll be there next year to do something. And I swear I never said anything like that about the Air Force.:) Let's try to keep the date in everyone's minds.

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back