Sauger Slaughter

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Lindley

Reaction score
Went on my annual Pickwick trip and the fishing was as good as I've seen........5 guys 5 limits on Sat, and nearly 3 limits on a short Sunday. Was the first good weekend we could fish with all the water we've had this year. Enjoy.

Slaughter.JPG

Fantastic... We tried to get the FLW to schedule a tournament there... no luck...

Nothing Like catch and release huh? you should feel good about yourself

That's a joke right?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking your lawful, DNR established limit out of a lake on some of the best tasting freshwater fish there are.

TOXIC

Awesome, I've heard about the fishing and been invited on trips, but never was able to go. One of these days I'll make it out there when they're biting.

Basstrackerma. With all due respect you will not find a more respectful conservationist and environmental caretaker. These are very closely managed fish, and TN even adjusts the size length based on availability and recruitment in the reservoirs. This was the take from 3 people fishing for 2 days, and is less than the creel limit. I have not harvested a largemouth bass in over 15 years, have never harvested a smallmouth bass, a striper or hybrid in over 5 years, and release all of my billfish and other apex predators unharmed. I remove fishing line and trash from banks, pick up floating debris, participate in lake cleanup activities, and more. I also possess a degree in fisheries management from Auburn University, the foremost freshwater fisheries research and aquaculture instruction institution in the world. So, I just happen to know a little about what the hell I'm doing. I suggest you find another to pass judgement on.

This will be the last time I check this post,But your degrees mean nothing. Judgement passed. End of story. I have never in my life taken a fish from its waters. Ever. They are all back in the water for someone else to catch another day.. You want to eat fish so bad. go to red lobster.

OMG how do you spell JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What'd you get them on?

fatrap

What a catch! But, what is a Sauger? I don't think we have these in Louisiana. At least not that I know.

Barry from Louisiana :)

Barry (from wiki):

The sauger (Sander canadensis) is a freshwater perciform fish of the family Percidae which resembles its close relative the walleye. Saugers, however, are usually smaller and will better tolerate waters of higher turbidity than will the walleye. In many parts of their range, saugers are sympatric with walleyes. They may be distinguished from walleyes by the distinctly spotted dorsal fin, by the lack of a white splotch on the caudal fin, by the rough skin over their gill, and by their generally more brassy color, or darker (almost black) color in some regions. The average sauger in an angler's creel is 300 to 400 g (0.75 to 1 lbs) in weight but the world record was 8.1 kg (17 lbs, 12 ounces.) Saugers are more typical of rivers whereas walleyes are more common in lakes and reservoirs. The sauger is highly prized as a food fish.

You want to eat fish so bad. go to red lobster.

And where does Red Lobster get its fish? Commercial fishing is better than recreational fisherman taking a few within legal limits?

Berry - ENJOY the fish fry. Congrats.

And where does Red Lobster get its fish? Commercial fishing is better than recreational fisherman taking a few within legal limits?

Bingo....

Let us not forget that non harvesting can actually hurt a fishery when the lake becomes overpopulated and the forage base diminishes. There is nothing wrong with the taking of fish to eat within the limits of the law.

Barry, the farthest south that I know of where these can proliferate is the TN river system, where these were caught. FatRap, we use 1 1/4 ounce wedge head jigs tipped with a minnow. You have to experiment around with colors and depth, their preference changes around based on water clarity and other factors. In the upper Cumberland River system, these are stocked along with walleye fry sort of like trout as a put-and-take fishery, as there is too much siltation from TVA's off and on flows to keep the egg substrate acceptable for hatching. The lower Cumberland (Barkley) has good natural recruitment. The TN River system has very successful natural recruitment and no stocking is needed at all, even as a supplement at this time. I occasionally discuss fisheries issues with our local biologist staying abreast of what is going on, so I am aware of what they are doing with these and the condition of the populations. I was a little taken aback and insulted by the above comment.

I need you to put an X on a Pickwick map so I can go catch some. Never fished for those before. I need to start experimenting with species other than largemouth.

I will be out on Priest this weekend. Suppose to be partly cloudy and 60-65 all weekend. I have my 1st tournment on Priest March 13th.

Won't b long and we'll be jiggin up some tasty walleye up here in Michigan on the Detroit River..and I intend on catching AND keeping my limit everytime I go..

Very Nice catch Berry..!

I dont like to give attention to posts like basstrackerman left, but I applaud your degrees, Berry. If more people took the time to understand that hunting and fishing are more than hooking a fish or shooting an animal, they would make more of an effort to preserve these 2 pasttimes. My best friend works closely with the WV DNR-thanks to his degrees- and we talk about everything that goes on behind the scenes. I find all of it very interesting and helpful. Again, congrats on the catch and your accomplishments, the woods and waters of the world are lucky to have you.

Eric

Teri, I'll be glad to mark a map for you, this should be going on for around 2 more weeks. We all call this "going to Pickwick" but this is actually from Pickwick dam down 10 miles.... And Eric, thanks for the kind words, they are much appreciated.

no issues with taking some to feed on, In Canada Though the regulations states the limits, and You never be caught with more than a limit "in your possession". Which means if you get your limit, you must consume them (or at least get them home) before you get another limit.

Some big saugers in there.

From the Tennesse regs... Daily limit of Sauger is 10 per person... and "Possession" limit is twice the daily creel limit. For three people that would total 60 fish... There are only about 42 fish pictured, well within the legal limit. Enough for me... Congrats and I wish I was invited for catching and dinner!

I am aware of the studies done in Wisconsin concerning "exploitation" (read catch and keep) and the absolute acceptable nature of harvesting fish. Many C&R ONLY advocates are woefully mis-informed and unnecessarily (and emotionally) opposed to catch and keep.

I usually fish the Potomac, so catch and release is the only thing I practice there out of health concerns. However, in other bodies of water, I catch and keep because I enjoy eating fish. I have been stopped on Lake Anna by Virginia Game and Fish, and when they saw me with bass that were legal size in my livewell they thanked me for taking them out of the lake! They have so many small bass there that it actually hinders the size. I think most here will agree that as long as you keep it legal, keep what you want, and use what you keep.

Berry, I would love to drive down there and spend the day trying to catch those. Any info you can get me would be great like launch, spot, depths, technique. I think it would be a blast!

We might need to hold a small get-together below Pickwick dam, with Berry as the guide of course!

Here in Ohio I definitely take MY share of Saugeye and Walleye from local waters...I think that's one of the reasons I pay for license,boat reg,gas,etc.,etc.,etc,.

While everyone is certainly entitled to their own personal opinion on whether anyone 'should' take and consume game fish, I'm pretty well on the side that the reason they have limits, are to help make certain that we have 'healthy and responsible' fisheries.

It is a well know fact, that limits are changed frequently to promote a healthy inventory of fish. Case in point, is fishing for Crappie on Lake Fork in the winter. Given the circumstances and the depths they generally stay at on this lake, Parks and Wildlife changed the rules such that ANY Crappie taken during the winter (not sure of the exact dates), SHOULD not be put back into the water, but rather kept. It is not a Statewide rule, but rather a rule for a particular body of water and circumstance.

I like others do not eat fish taken from certain bodies of water. And I have been known to enjoy a bass filet or two occasionally. I'd rather have crappie or walleye certainly, but have cleaned and eaten LM before.

Tex

Latest posts

Back