Sam Rayburn Texas

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Sam Rayburn?

My first tournament is there in Mid March. I need to make a reservation. We are launching from Sam Rayburn Marina South. Does anyone know a decent area around there for a hotel and food?

Never fished Sam Rayburn either so if anyone has any helpful info that would be great! This is my 1st "pro" tournament and I really don't want to stink it up. :p

Thanks!

Take a bunch of "texas red" rattle traps!! (or any other rattle type baits...clacker's etc);)

Second the suggestion on the TFF.

Beware, many - many pro's have come to 'Big Sam' and stunk it up. It is huge (from a web site):

Sam Rayburn Lake is approximately 79 miles long and is the largest reservoir completely in the state of Texas.

If the wind blows (and it ALWAYS blows here in Texas) it can not only be dangerous, but make fishing very, very difficult. Mac is right - this is where the famed 'texas red' rattletraps gained there following.

Sorry, can't really help with where to stay, but you had better be on the same side of the lake as the Marina and launch site.

Best of luck to you.

Tex

Sam Rayburn Marina has some cabins and rooms, but may be full. They do not have a ramp, but you can launch at either Twin Dykes or the other ramp by Umphrey Pavilion(listed as public ramp). Both good ramps the last time I was there, need to check status on the Texas Parks and Wildlife site since the lake is low. You can call the Corp of Engineers for ramp info.

Bass Buster Inn is a popular place on the highway just east of Sam Rayburn Marina, very popular place to stay.

Another source of info would be Needmore Tackle, I googled them and they came up. They are right on Hwy 255 near all the rest of this stuff.

And as to food, I would recommend the Stump Restaurant. Lots of signed fishing jerseys in there. And the food is good as well.

Like Tox said, Texas Fishing Forum is a good start, as well as the Texas board on Bass Boat Central. Shoot you might get a marriage proposal or something from them Texas boys up that way.

Teri, I have not been up there that many times, but if I can help from this end give me a holler on email.

As Tex said the wind does blow. With you going out of Sam Rayburn Marina, your choices are to run a lot of open water, or if they allow trailer around to the northern side (long trip). We were up there last May and took one over the back of the boat when I shut down on a point.

I am sure you have a map by now, if not holler. Academy has them.

I am planning on making a run up there to watch the tournament.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/sam_rayburn/

We will talk tomorrow.

Bass Buster Inn, the Stump. Tell Mike I said hello :)

I will give you some people to talk to Teri

damn girl, i forgot to tell you this weekend. we will talk. just call...NO TEXTING!!! lol

I fish Rayburn and Toledo every other weekend. Rayburn is a big lake, key is knowing where the grass is, which is gonna be tough if the lake comes up, currently 8 ft low. Plan to spend a lot of time and cover a lot of water in practice. And you will be looking for 20+ to even think about possibly winning on this lake, usually takes 22-28lbs to win.

There is a new tackle store close to the stump "Tackle Monkey" I think that is what it is called, close to needmore tackle.

Places to stay. Bass Buster Inn, Rayburn Country, both near the ramp u are launching. U can also stay in a few places in Jasper which is no too far.

Places to Eat: Gotta eat at the stump to view some of the tournament history on the lake. Plenty of other places in Jasper if the stump gets too crowded

Be careful about theft, don't make it easy.

Can anyone suggest what is the best map of Rayburn and where I can order it?

Called the local tackle store and asked. Ordered one from HookNLine. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back