Rub Rail Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
I need to replace both rub rails on my 2004 PT 175. Been fishing in the trees and also scraped an iron post at Dairy Queen.

1. Where's the best place to buy the above items?

2. What's a reasonable price to pay each?

3. What's the procedure to install a rub rail?

Thanks, Bill

I had the same problem on my PT-185. The rubber rub rail would get pulled out by rubbing up against the trees. I would keep a rawhide mallet on board to pound it back in after fishing. Eventually I did have to replace it....

1. Bought mine at the Tracker dealer I bought my boat from.

2. I don't remember how much I paid for the material but it wasnt much...seems like $25 or $30.

3. As you have probably noticed there is a screw holding the rail in at the front of the boat, start by removing those and then pull the rubber out, no big deal. To replace the rubber, start at the back and get it started. You will need some help to feed the rubber in while you pull it along the side of the boat. You will also need some lubricant. I used both WD-40 and Blakemore Reel Magic. The Reel Magic worked better. In hindsight I think I should have tried some liquid dish soap mixed with water.

It's not a hard job and you'll very happy with the results. I do try to keep off the trees nowdays but it still happens.

Harpo

Thanks, Harpo. As for fishing in the trees, my view is that if I'm not occasionally hanging up and bumping into stuff, I'm probably not fishing where the fish are. I'll call my Tracker dealer and see what he can do for me.

Bill

You can also check out West Marine's web site. They have it in assorted colors and sizes made by "Taco Manufacuring" -- sounds like a cheezy name but a good quality product.

West Marine has it in 30', 50', and 70' kits so you can make it fit in 1 piece. I think you will like thier choices. It looks like it's from $100-$200 depending on type and length. They even have a DVD on how to install it.

Latest posts

Back