ROUGH WATER RIDE

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe haley

Reaction score
just got back from Lake Of The Ozarks here in MO my fishing buddy just got his new Triton 196 with 200 yamaha we fished acouple of days ouy of it and got beat to heck in it then we fished out of my 929 and the ride was so much better he evan admitted the better ride and more space and said he would rather fish tournaments out of my boat

JD

WOOHOO for the 929!!

I am very happy with mine and it keeps getting better as I learn more about how to drive it in different conditions.

Well, that's not a fair comparison. You have 2 more feet of boat then he does. But the 929's do ride nice.

I borrowed a friends TR-20x for the Potomac Bass weekend series ...

In a two to four ft chop that thing beat me to death you could not get that boat to settle down at all.

it should have been smooth riding... it's a tooona boat

Boys, don't take this wrong, but it ain't the arrow, it's the indian. A big tub like that 929 is easier to drive, because it can't/won't respond to quick adjustments. So all you do is just go out and pound stuff in it.

On the other hand, if you do know how to pilot your boat, a quick responding boat will and can ride far superior, because it'll make the adjustments needed to run rough water. Example, you'd think an Allison would ride like crap, "it's so light" but reality, I'll take you through heavy water much smoother, and easier than you can in that 929. But...if you tried to do it, it would not ride nearly as well, just because you don't know how. A good driver can make a bad boat look good, and a bad driver can make a great boat look bad.

Pat, so what are you talking about....working the throttle, the sterring wheel, both??? Please elaborate.

Harpo

Both Sooner. It's all about knowing how to tackle the water, where to trim at, and constantly making those trim adjustments, throttling up one side of a wave, and coasting down the other so you down slam down, or spear the next wave. Sometimes, if the waves are far enough apart that you WILL spear one by idling down, you have to "jump" the boat to the next wave to keep from dropping into the extended trough.

It all comes from time in the seat. I have had a lot of people comment on how well my 18'10" Ranger rides in rough water. True it is a good hull, but a lot of it also comes back to how I drive it. I've been running rough water my whole life.

I don't care what hull you have, it could be a Ranger 522, a Skeeter 22 footer or a Champion 22 footer, if the waves are more than 3 feet, you CANNOT just slow down, set your trim at one angle and drive through it. Well....you can, but you'll get wet and beat to hell.

It's everything.

Angle of attack, trim angles, speed, all I can say if you've ever been with anyone who knows how to drive, you'll be amazed at how soft, dry, and comfortable you'll be going at a much higher speed than you can imagine.

I can run you through a big set of nasty wakes, and you will hardly feel anything at all, and the next guy will be knocking tooth filling out. Same boat, motor everything.

But, in all defense, if you've never been taught, it's hard to understand.

Huh, Pat and I posted almost the same thing at the same time.....eeeerie!

And I like his saying, it ain't the arrow it's the Indian! Gotta remember that one. I've always heard "It's a poor musician that blames his instrument."

I've driven alot of boats in water i didn't want to be in!!

May not have the experience that Pat has, but i also have not had the chance to sit in about every thing that floats.

I know how to handle boats in rough situations... i just could not get that Triton to settle down

I did every thing i could with what i had and it didn't make that much difference..

I have never been i a Triton that ran smooth

The first TR 19 io rode in beat me to death on flat water ( i was not driving that one)

Ran Carlos' Ranger in 4 ft rollers on the Potomac... Smooth as they come

I would like to say my partner and I have been fishing and boating for over 30 years and I would put both of us up against anybody on boat handling my partner is a Coast Guard licenced captain we done most of our boating on Lake Of The Ozarks mo if any of you have ever been on that lake at 2 in the afternoon you know the conditions Im talking about at least 6 ft rollers sometimes higher

JD

4 to 6 foot rollers My god man you aren't really trying to get any where fast are you. You need the boat the gentleman bought a couple of weeks ago and had the picture on the board for use in saltwater.

Ed, If there tight you can get up on top of them and a boat of proper lenght can bridge the waves... you can run at a pretty good speed.

Common sense must be used.. if you can't run on top of them you run with 'em...

you don't just bury the trottle and hang on.. you have to look and react to the conditions...

most of all don't get in over your ability or equipment's

ED kb5601 is right about how you run I dont normally run that water unless I am in atournament and have to get to check in at 3pm

JD

I want to hear mini and Mac's take on this. Mini is one mean rough water driver and I would venture a guess that he would say that no matter how good you are after a weekend run through the "Miracle Mile" or any extented time on their water you would pick up the pieces of that Allison, Bullett, or other "light & fast" hulled boat. They are not designed to take rough water period. Can you pilot them in it?........Sure........Is it gonna tear them to pieces......You bet!!

Chime in guys........

TOXIC

Still learning to pilot the TR-20X that I bought at top speed, and I have it set up correctly now - but just wanted to let KB and TOX know that I had it out on the Potomac a few weeks back - and got into some really rough stuff for two days straight. My partner commented on the smooth ride and how dry we both stayed after some long runs in the rough stuff. Guess I must be getting it down-pat.:D Either that, or years of navigating the Potomac in that 18 foot Cajun with a 150 paid off.:lol: Either way, I have a smooth, dry ride - and at speeds I have never been at before.:p Tons of storage space also - I packed everything I used to keep in my Cajun into this boat, and I still have 3 storage compartments empty.....

Lovin life!

Glenn

I defense of the Triton i borrowed... it could have been a really bad balance issue. it was not my ride.... couldn't be... i wouldn't own one if they gave it to me!!!!Take me for a ride in yours Glenn!!

How have you been??? KB

KB, you on the James tomorrow? I am going to take DAVID out tomorrow on the River!!!

Yep.... Playing all day!!! I'll call with a report... welcome home!!!!

KB,

You're always welcome in my boat. I have a tournament coming up next month - Appomattox. You're welcome to come along for some pre-fishing in the coming weeks. Give me a call sometime. You've still got my cellular number, right? How is your new '9 treating you?

Glenn

I've been all the major boat brands and like most people said the driver, skill and set up of the boat have a lot to do with it. My toon takes 1-2 ft. waves no problem anymore than that it's going to be a little rough. If the driver wants to go balls to the wall all the time you bet your arse is going to be sore. Need to keep the engine tucked under a little bit and slow down in anything over 2 ft. My buddy has a 196 with the 3.0 liter merc and it will scream to 76 MPH but not in 2 footers. I drove that boat and because i was not used to it I "made" it ride rougher than when he drives it. Heck, I don't even want to fish when the waves get 2 ft. or bigger............Al.

I don't think you all understand what it is like to be on Lake of the Ozarks when he is talking about 6foot rollers they are not rollers it is 6 ft chop, no patters to them. They come at you from every direction and this is on non windy day it is from boat traffic. It beats the tar out of you. The best way to describe (LOZ) is wal-mart parking lot on the day before christmas with every body trying to go as fast as they can small boats,cabin crusier , off shore boats you name it its on that lake.....oh not to forget them pesky jet skies that don't pay attention to what they are doing.

Sounds like the Potomac on a GOOD Day....

Pat, We'll talk about St. Clair? Erie in the end of Aug. when we get back!!!

That Allison may be fast and agile... but it darn sure was not made to fish out of!!!!!

Erie can get downright nasty.Don't see too many rollers,they are straight up and down,breaking at the top.

Funny,,,when I'm up there I never see any other 17 ft Trackers out on the lake.:wacko:

Pat,

No disrespect taken, I always value your input. I based my answer on my experiences in a so called "tub" that if I didn't "pilot" on lake St. Clair, I would have smashed it into a million pieces. There isn't a bass boat made that is simply "point and shoot" if you run the nasty stuff. The hulls and freeboard just don't allow it. Of course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. So, in a matter of speaking, yes you can run your Allison in the nasty stuff but I would venture a guess that there are only 2% of bass boat owners that could do the same thing in the same boat and an even smaller percentage who would actually "want" to. So, your comments while true in no way apply to the general bass boat owner and in fact may put some in harm's way. And that is partially because the hulls are lightweight and made for speed and are very unforgiving if you make a mistake behind the wheel. As far as not having driven them, it's a moot point, I don't have to fly a jet aircraft to know that if you put a jet engine on a piece of balsa wood it is a risky proposition. I listened to Mac and Mini talking about the wrecks that come back that used to be Allison's, Bullett's, etc., on St. Clair/Erie. How many that regularly fish that type of water nun those rigs on a regular basis? Very, Very few. If you took a poll, I'm sure that most of the fast hull owners live in the South on bigger flatter water. Heck, even the pros (and there is no rule that a pro fisherman is a pro boat driver), swamp or otherwise wreck their rides. Rob told us about pulling one back to the dock.

In my defense, I have driven a lot of the nasty stuff, Champlain when they cancelled the Everstart, the Potomac when it was REAL nasty (Carlos was along), St. Clair on a so-so nasty day, yada, yada, and I have never speared a wave. Now, I know some will say you haven't really driven a boat till you spear one, but I disagree. I can drive a doat. Am I as good as others....noway and I'd be a fool to think I was. I've driven boats since I was 18 and know given enough seat time I could drive anything out there. It's just "scratch you head" silly to think that someone would buy a 75-80-90 mph boat and then take it out in the nasty stuff. I stand by my statement that they aren't made for it and "as a general rule" need to stay on the trailer.

Good discussion!!

I'm still waiting for Mac and Mini.......c'mon before I get dogpiled!!:lol:

TOXIC

Tox,

Let me chime in here, as I am a fairly new boat driver and also been with you in the goo.

Agree with you on the Point and shoot. I have a Lead Sled and even with that tub, I have to drive it. Point is, my first BAD weather on the Potomac (4 footers and running seas). I speared a few waves before I figured out this sled, is WAY balanced diffrent then the 896 was. But, now I feel a bit more comfortable in the goo like that (BTW the waves were as bad or worse in spots when you and I were out there).

Have been in a 929 on St Clair and that one sure did each me a few things. One is that if you did not have some sort of bigger tub, you would have a long miserable day. Riding with Mac and Mini, who do know how to drive in the goo, did teach me alot too. I would like to see the ride of a lighter boat on St Clair in the area that has all the dang boat wakes coming from every which way (Can not remember the name of that place). You will have to ride with me some on St Clair so I can beat you some too. HAHAHAHAHAH

This is a good discussion. But, I am looking to see what Mac and Mini have to say about the light vs heavy tub debate

We've beat this subject to death!!! Some boats are designed for handling the rough stuff better than others,..and some are designed for speed. Bullet's and Storms may be the fastest things around speed wise,..but you won't find one up here!! If you do,..it's because the owner is selling it to fund his kidney transplant!!

Pat pretty much said it correctly,........a good driver can make a bad design a little better and a bad driver can make a great ride miserable!! This stuff up here is the roughest I've ever seen or driven in anywhere in the country....only Champlain can compare (based on personal experience,...and I'm sure the reservoirs in OK and TX get HUGE too) but I was only there for a couple of days and we had 4ftr's then!! The worst waves are the ones that are close together and the only way to drive in that stuff is to "tack" in it like a sailboat does....back and forth,...back and forth...and running in the "chute" as much as possible. Trying to take them head-on is suicide!! A boat's weight has little to do with it, IMO......a driver's experience and skill level has a LOT more to do with running in that stuff safely. I would venture to say that a 22ft Champion would be the absolute best "Bass" boat for the Great lakes,...but if I had my choice of ANY style boat,...it'd probably be a 24ft Bay style center console, with a 300hp on it!:blink:

and Carlos,...don't buy that "lead sled" crap......a 929 is heavier than your 520!! :p

Mac

Hey Mac!!

Good idea on the bay boat deal. Lots of freebaord and also some wave cutting ability!

HAHAHAH On the lead sled! I was jsut being "agreeable" as i know the ride I have is not a lead sled! It is more of a MonKeY BoAt then anything else

Latest posts

Back