rod saver strap location and mid seat removal; tin owners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
Any of you tin owners out there install a set of Rod Saver straps on the front deck? Looking for pics of setups if you have any.

Also, anyone ever remove the mid seat? I'm thinking of taking it off for tournament purposes.

Bruce:

I removed the mid seat. It isn't hard. You'll have six or eight holes in the lid that will need to be covered to keep debris and water out. It makes a nice step up to the back deck.

Thanks MO, I looked at it and it didn't seem too difficult. How is it to put back on?

The hardest part about re-installing it is not stripping out the holes in the wood. You may need someone to hold the seat while you get the first couple of bolts started, but once two bolts are in (opposite corners), the rest go back in "slicker'n snot on a hot July sidewalk!"

I thought about leaving mine our permanently and installing some kind of non-skid pad to cover the holes. If I needed seating for a third person, they could sit on the throwable cushion Missouri requires me to have "out and accessable at all times"!

<i>Besides, dual-console guys are really only concerned about their own comfort and that of their partner!</i>

Just wondering guys, are you talking about taking the middle seat between the driver and passenger seats? What's the purpose? Is that for making it easier for the passenger to get up/down from the rear deck? If so that makes sense. Does anyone make a 9 Series seat with a flip out step built in? My boys LOVE those, they call it "kids seats" since their Tush's fit inside the step!!LOL

The very first thing I did when I got my PT 185 was remove the middle seat. Me and Ma are not spring chickens and it makes it much easier and safer for her to get to and from her throne. Who ever heard of three people in a bass boat anyway?

Well I guess it all depends on who's using it. My wife doesn't really enjoy fishing much anymore, but that's only 2 people. With my son it's fine with the 3rd seat but very seldom do we all go out.

Removal of the seat is for a couple purposes I guess.

1. being it is easier to access to rear livewell for tournaments. My partner and I are fishing a bunch of opens this year and I think it would be easier for us.

2. Like a few have already mentioned, ease of stepping on the back deck. I really hate stepping on the seats.

3. Not alot of difference, but it would make the boat a tad lighter.

4. Extra space for....

Back