Rod Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg. Avery

Reaction score
What length & action of rod do you guys recommend for a worm & pitchin rod ?

I am thinking of a 7' Med. action. Pros & cons

For pitching, stick with 7' but go to med/hvy with a fast tip. Med action won't be able to horse a big fish out of most of the cover you would be typically pitching to.

Agree with Rob completely - Medium Heavy, fast tip -- maybe even go moderate action if you're pitching primarily heavy weed lines - more backbone...

I believe it matters which part of the country your fishing.I live and fish primarily up north where the Bass on average are not as big as the southern lakes. I can afford to give up some rod strength for sensitivity in return and generally use a 6'6 or 7' medium trigger rod for worming. For the down south trips a 6'6 to 7' medium/ heavy is a must.

I think it depends on what brand of rod you plan on getting. I run only st croix rods and a mh in a st croix is way too much rod for worming. its just too stiff and will make casting a problem with light weight. I run a med action for worming and most everything but my flipping stick and my c-rig rods. the mh st croix is like a telephone pole its so stiff

I'm going to expound on what Jim said. This is just MY experience and I truly believe St. Croix makes a FINE rod.

I've been seriously fishing for the last year. By that, I mean paying my money for good products. I went from the "free" Bass Pro IM-8 Graphite rods that come with combos to the Pro Qualifiers (hm-85). I found a killer deal on some St. Croix rods. I got a 7'MHXF, 2 6'8"MXF, 2 6'6MXF and 2 6'2" MXF rods. I KNEW that I wanted extra fast tips because I've been trying to find one ever since I found out what "fast" meant. I have ONE of the 6'8"'s left. All of the others have been sold (to people who like them). To explain, XF is "extra fast" action or taper, and m is medium power, mh is medium heavy power.

I NEVER want to find a st. Croix rod in a HXF (if they make one). If they do make one, they could hang power lines from them. That MHXF 7 footer was just way too much rod for me. The XF in general makes for a hard cast, at least for me. I'd like to try the normal fast tip or even a moderate tip. I KNOW the rods are good quality, light, etc. I don't know if St. Croix makes a heavier blank (power wise) than most other manufacturers, but the MH is one extremely strong, rod with not much in the way of flex. I was going to use it as a pitching rod, but it was just too much rod for me.

Greg,..How tall are you???....use the rod length that's going to give you the most control and accuracy...if you're a pip-squeak like Scott, a 7' rod is waaay too long. I'm 5'11" and I like a 6'6" M/Hvy rod for pitching.....I don't like 7' rods for anything other than dragging tubes or carolina rigging....I get much better control and accuracy with a shorter rod for pitchin' and wormin'! Use what "fits" vs. what everybody else says you should use!!

IMHO!!!

Mac

Ya know, Mac................

When I saw this thread earlier, I was gonna post EXACTLY what you said..... But I thought I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers a 6'6" medium-heavy for wormin'..... It's good to know that I fit right in with the Big Dogs!!

Get that 2XL ready for me!

:^)

me!

6'6" Is the most popular especially in tight quarters. All Star makes a couple of great worming/pitching rods. The WR1 6'6" MH & WR2 6'6" H in many different series. The Titaniums, The Classic Series and the IM10X (only the WR1 in the IM10X at Bass Pro).

Lifetime warranty...Made in the USA....God Bless America.

Contact me if you need more info!

Mini

Mini-

Does All Star have different size diameters on the rod handles? I picked up an All Star on Sunday at Lunker's and the handle just felt a bit to thick for my puny hand...

They do have quite a few All Star rods there at Lunker's!

just curious,

az

Now I ain't know pro but I agree with Mac and Scott I am 6'1" and all my rods are 6'6"..I find the 7' rods to awkward for me..Then again I said for me..I figure you just use what feels right and go from there..

BF

Andy--

When you were in Lunkers did you happen to notice if they had any of the Tica Spinning reels left? They were blowing them out about a month ago when I was there last ($35 for a 10 bearing Libra SA)....picked up 2 of them and decided I may want another at that price. Just curious, sweet reel.

--Corey

Nope...

Sorry, didn't notice...

I was scoping out another Shimano Spirex spinning reel...

Got 2 already, but I'll have another before this spring.

Lunker's big 'extravaganza' is coming up here in a couple weeks...they don't discount the reels, but they will spool 'em up with your favorite line for free...

az

havn't tried the bps rods yet, but for pitchin whether it be flukes, tubes, worms, or crwaws i like the falcon lowrider 7' in medium hvy #6 power - i think this is the lizzard dragger rod. i think the rod length has an affect on pitchin distance such that the longer the rod, the longer the pitch. i'll use anything from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 foot rods and i'm only 5'10" tall. I think Rob is right on the money with the 7' med/hvy recommendation.

jd

Andy we do use different handles depending on the model of the rods. You can (and alot of pros do) shave or sand the cork down to your liking. I know Takahiro Omori sands his Team Diawas down so much they are like toothpicks...

Mini

see for me it's a worm "or" pitchin rod. for worm i like 6'6" med with 5.2 to 1 reel and for pitchin i like 7'6" mht to ht with 6.2 to 1. both bps extreme and whatever your favorite brand of reel is

I was at a fishing university seminar a couple of years ago and Greg Hawk a Pro fisherman from Ohio was there speaking.

He is a jig fisherman mostly and he prefers a shorter rod because his opinion is the longer the rod the more leverage you give the fish. I personally use Mitchell Fulcrum Pro Rods which are no longer in production since Pure Fishing bought out Mitchell. I Feel these are the best balanced lightes feeling rods ever made. I use bothe 6' and 6'6" rods, I fish shallow alot and find the shorter rods easier to make acurate short pitches with. I have had no problem hauling out 6 lb.bass from heavy cover with them.

Try an All Star Titanium before you say the lightest rods....

Personally I RARELY use less than a 7' rod. But I fish mostly open water. When nearing cover I use shorther rods until I get right on top of it and then I opt for a 7'6" (or bigger) flippin stick.

The length of your fishing rod is dependant on personal preference. I think height should have alot to do with your decision. I know that Scott M. could not handle the same sticks that I use. Heck most of the folks around here wouldnt beleive what I use to "finesse" smallies on the big water....

Mini

Now, Mini.....

I do some of my best finesse fishing with a rod that is 8'6"..... A 5-weight fly rod that I built! How well do you handle fly rods?!!?

:^)

me!

Hey Mac,

I was going to pick up a 6' 6" BPS Extreme/Curado combo in Houston this spring at the Classic for worming and general bass fishing. What would be better, medium or medium/heavy. I have an Extreme/Curado 7' 6" flippin stick and want to upgrade my rod/reels slowly, but surely. Thanks.

Bob G.

Bob -

I bought a 6'6" medium-heavy Extreme / Curado 101 combo last summer for worming..... VERY happy with it!

me!

Scott,

Thanks, I think I'll get a M/H. I have never been to the Spring Classic before so I'm looking forward to it.

Bob G.

Bob,......I'd recommend the Med/Hvy for worming and jiggin'!

I use a 6'6" Med/Hvy for both of those baits!! The only time I use a Hvy action is if I'm fishing for LgMth in pads or heavy slop.....but I prefer a Med/Hvy for worms/jigs!

Have fun shoppin'!!!

Mac

Bob, here's my dilemma... the reel itself.

On the rod, I'd go 7'M, but that's my favorite action and it's personal preference. I tend to throw light tx rigs or weightless senkos, etc. Those are too light for a m/h in my opinion.

Now, back to the reels. I'm sure if you talked to one of the good guys at the reel counter, you'd get this speech, but the Spring Classic is BUSY and in Dallas, some of the best guys are long-winded, so getting one available isn't easy.

The Curado 200 and 200b5 are the same reel with different gear ratios. The Curado 100 is smaller and lighter than the 200, and will handle 110 yards of 14 pound (if memory serves0. The 100 series is $10 more than the $200 series (non-super free), but the 100 uses the super-free system and casts better/farther. The Curado 200BSF uses the super-free system, but is $30 more than the 200 series ($20 more than the 100). It has a whiffle spool that the 100 doesn't, but because of the larger diameter whiffle spool, only holds 10 yards more in 14 pound test than the 100). Now, for $20 more than the 200BSF, you can get the Castaic 200SF, which is pretty much a Curado 200BSF but has the dual-position thumb bar, and is for pitching. I see no reason why it can't do double-duty and be a casting reel too, since it only weighs a slight bit more than the 200bsf Curado.

The Castaic doesn't come in a combo. :(

If you are like me and sometimes get to take your wife fishing and she generally uses your equipment, the Curado 100 might be a perfect reel for her (assuming) smaller hands. I got my wife one for Christmas and she loves it. I got myself one too and I love it. I don't expect to ever purchase another Curado 200 (without the superfree). Actually, I don't expect to ever purchase a 200BSF Curado either unless I just have to use heavier line. My NEXT reel will be a Castaic, as soon as the Dallas store gets them in. I was all set to order one on-line, but they wanted $14 for shipping based upon amount of purchase. I'm not paying $14 to ship a blamed reel. I'd rather pay tax than pay Johnny Morris.

Mike,

That's a lot of info!!! I have a Curado 200 on my flippin stick and like it. I have regular sized hands! My wife doesn't fish and has no interest in it. I think she likes being home when my kids and I are out fishing - like a mini vacation!!

I think I'll stick with the 200 on a M/H. If the prices are right, I might get the same set up with a medium action too!

Bob G.

Toxic,

It looks like you are just trying to stir up stuff!!! Anyways, I plan on being in Texas and hope to fish Lake Fork. My wife and Mini can do whatever they want. I hope Mini makes a lot of money cause my wife and kids are high maintenance!!!

Bob G.

Scott,

All Star does make fly rods. Two different series, Austin (top of the line, $275 and up) and Elite (around $150).

Check the website, www.allstarrods.com

Mini

Hey now....no married ladies for me....well at least not high maintanance ones....and NO Mini does not make alot of money, but can spend alot!

When will you be in Texas? I will be at the BPS in Houston for their classic. Then the following week getting my string pulled by as many different fish I can!

Mini

Mini,

I'll be in Texas 3/9 to 4/12. I can be at BPS/Houston March 15, 16 and/or March 22, 23. When are you going to be there?

Bob G.

Bob, the Spring Classic in Dallas ends on 3/9, so don't dawdle around :).

Mike,

I can't make the Dallas Classic cause I fly in to Austin late on the 9th. I'm going to check out the Classic in Houston.

Bob G.

I will be there the second weekend in the All Star booth. Look for me!

Mini

Back