Rich Stern: Grab Bag project

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
Rich,

As soon as I get the time I'm going to make a couple of the El Cheapo Line Spoolers. Just a quick question: Does it matter if the spools unload the line from the left or right (turning clock-wise or counter clock-wise) side of the spools to prevent line twist to the reel? Thanks.

Wings, no, it doesn't matter, because you can always flip the spool over.

And, let me also offer this tip (I think it was origianlly Mac or Neeley who posted this, if someone else, please accept my apology):

After winding, drop the reel spool in a glass of hot water for about a minute. Take the memory right out of the line. Does wonders for making the line behave itself.

You can also use a hair dryer to gently warm the spool (off the reel) of your spinning reel. Regarding a metal/aluminum spool, I'll warm it with a hair dryer after filling, allowing the heat to expand out the old memory, and the cooling down will give it the new memory of your spool. (DO NOT USE HIGH/DIRECT HEAT!) When the spool becomes noticeably warm in your hand, you're there.

Preferably, I'll take the time to float the bulk spool of line in a bowl of warm tap water and wind on through a damp rag. If the line wants to twist, the spool will flip, being neutraly buoyant, in the bowl. (Peter Thilveros showed me the hair dryer trick years ago to save time when re-rigging in our hotel room.)

Learn something new everyday...I'm getting ahead of my quota. Thanks for the tips :)

TOX, I supposed that's another way to do it, but the hot water in a glass trick works. By hot, I don't mean scalding hot, just typical tapwater hot, but not so hot the water would burn you.

Latest posts

Back