Replacing EZ Lube Wheel Bearing Rubber Plug/Covers...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Snider

Reaction score
Hey guys! Remember me? I'm the guy that constantly screwed up his boat last year! lol... Sorry, but I'll admit that I'm a 'fair weather friend' (literally)...

Anyway, as you might or might not remember, I have a Nitro 2000DC with a dual axle Tracker trailer... According to the owner's manual, the wheel bearings on the trailer are called "EZ Lube". They have a rubber cover/plug type of deal that covers the grease zerk on the bearing mechanism. This rubber cover is starting to rot and some of the grease is coming out. However, I'm not sure if this is just excess grease that was left in there when the rubber plug was installed or what? The diagram in the manual leads me to believe that this grease zerk shoots grease up inside the bearing mechanism, but not between the zerk and the rubber cover. Anyway, I'm going to replace these rubber covers as soon as I can find some (please let me be able to find some!). I'm wanting to take the boat on a 10 mile round trip tomorrow. Do you think it'll be ok to go that short distance until I can replace these rubber covers?

Does anyone else have a trailer with these "EZ Lube" bearings and if so, did you have to replace these covers?

My boat is only a couple of years old therefore the caps are still in good shape. I did order an extra set from my dealer to keep in the boat. I personally would not launch the boat for fear of water intrusion into the bearings.

I have them on my 99 trailer and have never had to replace them yet. It shouldn't hurt to run ten mile with them like that.

Sarge, I remember you. Take a look at the web site below. This is probably what you have. If you scroll down on that page you'll see where you can buy replacement rubber plugs. They're pricey!!!! I think you can get them at a BPS service department also. Give Craig a call at the Auburn Hills BPS. One of mine just started leaking after two years and I'm going to have to do something also. I really like the spindle lube as once a year I pump out the old grease and pump in new. Takes about one of those small grease tubes for eack hub.

The Champion Trailer site has a lot of good information about trailers, axles, hubs, etc.

Magna19 had a good idea. Replace the rubber plug and cap with a bearing buddy. You'd have to take the BB off to grease the hub but you wouldn't have the rubber plug problems again.

http://www.championtrailers.com/spdlubax.html#spindlub
cuthub.gif

I took a closer look at the Champion page and the rubber plugs are $1.44 each. I was looking at the whole cap assembly and thought it was just the rubber cap. $1.44 is more like it although still a lot for a rubber cap.

Thanks for all that great info guys! I appreciate it! I ended up taking the boat on that short trip and having a nice day. I was afraid that my weekend was gonna be ruined by these little rubber caps! I guess they're just there to keep the dust and dirt out, huh? Not really to keep grease in or whatever.

Anyway, I think I'll call the local BPS tomorrow to see if their service center has these items on hand. I guess they should, though. Thanks again!

Chris

Latest posts

Back