replaceing trailer bunks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my trailer bunks. Since my boat is under 2 1/2 ft of snow...yada yada yada, cabin fever. When i bolt the board to the trailer should i counter sink the bolt? if so what should i use to fill the hole? silicone? thanks for your opinions guys

mike

Mike go to the grab bag and take a look at John Fosters article on bukl replacement. its loaded with good info. as far as bolts go use lagscrews from the bottom side dont thru bolt them.

Mike, when replacing the bunks, use QUALITY carpet, i bought some crap carpet from west marine and have been paying for it since i got it. It's like a scotch bright pad and have been wearing the gel-coat off the bottom where is contacts the hull during loading. And also remember a 2x4 is only 1 1/2 thick so make sure you inly get 1 1/4 lag bolts or you will have gouges in the hull.

Eric H.

I see you've got an aluminum boat.....when I replaced mine last year I didn't use any carpet at all,only Trailer Glyde Sliks(search BPS for item 38-540-050-00)screwed onto bare pressure treated 2x4's. DO NOT unhook the bowstrap until the trailer tires are wet. These things truly are slippery,

so make sure you use tiedowns when trailering.

Hints:

Use pressure treated wood.

Get an indoor/outdoor carpet remnant from Lowes/Home Depot.

Leave the bottom of the wood uncovered for better drying.

Stainless lag bolts - IF you cam find them.

me!

Scott's on the money as far as not carpeting the bottom...that's the first place it will rot.

TEE

Latest posts

Back