1996 Trailer Bunk boards

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrcrum

Reaction score
Still getting into this 1996
170tf I bought. After some upgrade help you all have been great assisting. Previous owner said a bunk board or 2 maybe loose. Looking closely today both inner boards are only attached with forward bolt only and 1 outer has only 1 bolts. Now kinda wearying about first time I try and put in waters and scratches. Any advice for on trailer repair. What originally held these bunk boards on. Lag screw? Regular screws.

Most originally held on by big lag screws. If you are missing bolts check carefully that the bunk board has not rotted away, that is usually why the bolts fall out. If they are not rotten you might be able to replace with a larger bolt, but not too long that it goes all the way through. You can also run carriage bolts through from the top side, but that means you are going to replace the carpet on the board. Not too bad a job to replace boards or carpet. Round up your materials (new boards, new carpet, heavy duty stainless staples and hardware), go to a local lake, launch the boat and leave it at the dock. Couple hours in the parking lot removing and replacing boards and carpet and you will be good to go. Good Luck

Most originally held on by big lag screws. If you are missing bolts check carefully that the bunk board has not rotted away, that is usually why the bolts fall out. If they are not rotten you might be able to replace with a larger bolt, but not too long that it goes all the way through. You can also run carriage bolts through from the top side, but that means you are going to replace the carpet on the board. Not too bad a job to replace boards or carpet. Round up your materials (new boards, new carpet, heavy duty stainless staples and hardware), go to a local lake, launch the boat and leave it at the dock. Couple hours in the parking lot removing and replacing boards and carpet and you will be good to go. Good Luck
Thank you

Targa is spot on. I had my new bunks pre-made before I launched. Less than an hour to remove and replace.

When you put your boat in the water it should float off the bunks. Step easy into the boat to back it off. You should be okay not to gouge it when launching. I would be ready to install the new bunks and not attempt to load with them unattached.

Just remember to counter sink any top side bolts you install. If by chance the carpet and boards are still good. You can slit the carpet just enough to get the any topside bolts into the boards and glue the slit carpet back together.

Latest posts

Back