repainting an aluminum hull

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Cooke

Reaction score
I have been considering repainting my Targa 18. I would like to change it from maroon to black. This is aa aluminum hull and the part that would be black is the upper part of the hull. The lower part that is in the water will remain gray. Any suggestions? Is this a do-it-yourself type project or is it best left to a marina?

Thanks for your input,

Gary Cooke

If the hull is already painted, sand it with 100 grit sandpaper then 120, 180 and a final sanding with 220 (wet sand). Most of your paint will still remain. Wherever you have bare metal showing, prime it with zinc chromate and then start in with your color coating. If you are stripping the hull down to bare metal, do so and then clean it with a phosphoric acid wash down. Immediately afterwards, make a paste with water and baking soda and apply it to the hull to nuetralize the acid. Give the hull a good fresh water rinse. Once dried, prime the hull with a product called Alodyne which will stop all corrosion and give your primer a clean surface to stick to. Apply and wet sand 2 coats of zinc chromate primer and then apply your color coat.

Good Luck,

Kenji

Thanks guy's I appreciate your input very much. It sounds as if I should probably leave it to a professional. And yes it probably will be HOT but I think it will look good. No other reason.

Thanks again,

Gary Cooke

Latest posts

Back