recommendations on how to keep XR6 in great shape?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Ok gang, new to the 150/6 cylinder motor. how do I keep her running smooth for years to come, and especially with the ethanol in the gas down here in GA? she just had a complete tune up, service and fired up easy and ran great! Want to keep her that way!

Trep

Make sure you have the newer ethanol resistant fuel lines. Also use the proper fuel additives. Make sure your water pressure stays up and have your impeller/water pump changed at least every other year. Take care of it and will last a long time. Mine is a 2002 xr6 and runs great. Enjoy

Trep,

When i had mine i changed the water pump impeller annually, I would de-carbon it annually and i always ran high quality oil in it. My ran fantastic for the entire time i owned it. The only real repair i ever had to do was rebuild the fuel pump on it. The kit was like 15 dollars and i would rebuild it about every 100 hours.

Good fuel and additives like quickleen are important too.

On an older non-fuel injected motor, you still need to keep up on fuel additives but they are not a picky as the Optimax engines. The FIRST thing is to make sure you have the proper fuel lines. In older lines, the ethanol breaks down the linings and sends junk into the fuel system. At best you will have clogged filters, at worst it blows the engine. You must, must, must get the right fuel lines.

As far as fuel additives, I would use Starton (Walmart sells it in boat section) and Mercury Quikleen. Startron helps deal with ethanol and stabilizes the fuel if it sits for a while. Quikleen keeps your fuel system clean. There are other recipes that involve Marine Stabil, Mercury Quikare, Seafoam and others. You have use additives to stabilize, deal with ethanol and keep fuel system clean. It sounds like a PITA but it is worth it.

Ron

Check your fuel line from fuel tank to motor. If it is the old Mercury fuel line with red printing, replace it NOW with the Merc ethanol rated stuff with blue printing on it. Replace the primer bulb too. Check my pics to see the effect of ethanol in non-ethanol rated fuel hose. I took that hose out of my Triton last year and replaced everything including rebuiling the fuel pump.

Water pressure should be 15psi or more at 5600 RPM's. My water pressure was the same for 12 years and I never changed the impeller.

I changed the spark plugs once in 12 years.

Use fuel stabilizers all year. I use 1 ounce of Seafoam per gallon of fuel and Marine Stabil per directions.

Use Mercury Premium Plus 2 stroke oil. Use Mercury fuel filters. Use Mercury Premium Gear Lube (not High Performance). Accept no substitutes.

Hit the sweet spot on the trim and that motor should push your Astro and your skinny arse like a raped ape!! :D

I'm not sure any marine tech would recommend going twelve years without changing the impeller or sperk plugs. Like Bob B always said "its cheap insurance".

"Like Bob B always said "its cheap insurance."

Yep, Bob B and his team are the guys that work in my boat and i maintained my XR6 per his instructions when i had it. I ran mine hard, very hard in the time i had it and it always ran fantastic.

My mechanic did recommend that I change the plugs when they needed it. Mine never did. 2000 EFI sold in 2010 with the original plugs. Started with less than 1 crank. He checked it out every year. Impeller is a different story and that's not what BobG meant.

I'm not trying to argue with you Toxic,but when you stated Bob G nailed it I disagree.

He said "My water pressure was the same for twelve years and I never changed the impeller". Not sure what else he could have meant.

I didn't mean for anyone to never change the impeller, I just never did. The rest of my post applies. I will probably change the impeller on my current boat this season since I haven't owned it since new.

BobG if you went 12 years on one impeller you were rolling th edice and winning every year. 2 years MAX on replacement. Even if you pull it out and it looks brand new in your hand, REPLACE IT! Its cheap insurance!

Latest posts

Back