Nx882 Nitro With Mercury 150 Hp Xr6 Motor""someone Help""!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbritt43

Reaction score
I HAVE A NITRO NX882 WITH MERCURY 150 XR6. I HAVE BEEN ASKING THIS QUESTION NOW FOR 3-4 YRS. WITH NO CLEAR ANSWER. IN THE BOAT, 2 BATTERIES IN BACK, 2 GUYS N GEAR, GAS, AND FOR SURE IF LIVEWELL HAS WATER IN IT.........THIS BOAT IS SOOOOO SLUGGISH COMING OUT OF THE HOLE I JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE SUMTN IS NOT RIGHT!!! BUT, 2 DIFFERENT MARINE MECHANICS HAVE TOLD ME THE MOTOR IS AT THE PERFECT HEIGHT WHERE IT SHOULD BE!! BUT, IVE SEEN OTHER 882'S WITH THE MOTORS RAISED UP ATLEAST 2-3 INCHES HIGHER THAN MINE, SO WHAT'S RIGHT AND WHAT'S WRONG???? AND, WHEN THE BOAT IS SITTING IN MY GARAGE LEVEL, THE MOTOR WILL NOT TRIM ALL THE WAY DOWN, CATCHES IN THE CONCRETE !!! SO, ARE THE 2 GUYS TELLING ME TRUE, OR DOES THE MOTOR NEED RAISING A BIT??? IT HAS THE FACTORY 6" JACKPLATE ON IT AS WELL. THE VERY TOP OF THE MOTOR BRACKET SITS ABOUT 1 INCH ABOVE THE EDGE OF SPLASH WELL. AND THE WAY IT IS, ALL THE HOSES AND CABLES, ETC. ARE SO CROWDED IN THE SPLASH WELL AND IS RUBBING BLACK SPOTS IN IT WHERE THEY RUB!! IT HAS THE FACTORY 23 PITCH SS PROP ON MOTOR TOO. I WAS TOLD THAT'S THE PROP THAT GOES WITH THE BOAT, SO I'M LOST !!! HOW DO YOU TELL WHEN AN OUTBOARD NEEDS RAISING??? WHAT ADVANTAGES WILL IT MAKE IN THE WATER?? WILL IT FIX THE SLUGGISH HOLESHOT??? WHAT ABOUT THE SPEED??? ANYBODY WHO KNOWS THESE ANSWERS PLZZZZZ RESPOND AND TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM. CONTACT ME ......ILL GET THE MESSAGE ALOT QUICKER. PLZZZZ SOMEONE GIMME KNOWLEDGE AND ADVICE.......I'VE RIDEN IN OTHER BOATS 18 FT WITH A 150 HP MOTOR AND THEY JUMP OUT OF THE HOLE...........AND KNOWLEDGE GREATLY APPRECIATED.........THNXXXXXX ALOT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your description with a jack plate, and without seeing it, I believe you may be right about the motor needing to come up some. One thing you can check on engine height is adjust the trailer dolly until the boat is level. Then adjust the trim until the engine is level. You need to determine how far your prop shaft is below the pad in center of hull. Use a yard stick or board or tape measure and extend a line from hull pad to outboard lower unit. Put tape there(mark somehow). Now measure how far the prop shaft(center of prop is from the line you just made. Should be about 3.5" below pad, if below that, motor needs to be raised. The 23" prop sounds about right for that setup. I would start with the engine height and see what difference that makes first. The jack plate should make it easier to move the engine up. Let us know what you decide and the results.

Hi, we where a Tracker dealer for 14 years. We found the same problem with the 882. The solution that we came up with and Tracker later used was to move the batteries as close as you can get them to the the seat backs. If you pull the storage containers out there is plenty of access. It's only a small amount of cable to relocate and it makes a huge improvement. Hope this helps. George Fuller Fullers Marine

Latest posts

Back