Rant on State Laws for Boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
It would be nice if all states would use the same format for boats, motors and traliers.

When in Va., the boat and trailer was registered and titled, but not the motor.

In Ohio, the motor and trailer were titled and not the boat (just registered).

In Ar., the trailer is titled, the boat(must keep MSO)is just registed and nothing on the motor.

When I moved from Va. to Oh. I had to have a weight slip for the trailer, the young lady at DNR (GFC) told me to unload the boat and take the trailer to grain weight scales for a weight slip. Now this would require to leave the boat at the lake and drive 25 miles and try to get a weight slip, pay $$ and drive back to load the boat.

That is when I called the local Nitro/Tracker dealer, "Just come by and we will fix you up".

cq

I agree. I purchased my 189 Sport in Florida and brought it to Georgia. Florida required a title for the boat, which I received through the mail. In Georgia, I have to register the boat but not title it. But I had to have my local law enforcement come out and read the serial number off the trailer and run it to see if it was stolen. Once they did that and filled out a piece of paper, I was able to get my license plate for the trailer. There is nothing done for the motor.

Here in MA any boat with a motor (gas or electric) regardless of size gets registered---over 16 feet needs a title, only need to list hp of the motor. Trailer needs to be registered thru the RMV-----PIA

All the states want their money (taxes). some just have a better scheme to get it form you.

In Ohio you only need the point of origin which has trailer weight but, yes I agree when it comes to lisence and registration all states need to be the same across the board.

They sure do Tee, same thing with trailer brakes. They need to unify this stuff so if you trailer out of state you dont get pinched for something.

Andy, some of the riles are stupid for sure. back when i had my 17' canoe i had to register and title that even tho it had no motor. i had no idea when i bought it until the day i got fined....

For all that agree with making everything uniform across all 50 states, please consider this (I'm not telling you that you are wrong. I just want you to consider something):

How long does it take the Federal government to get involved with (and take over) regulations that are similar in all states? (Take commerce for instance). Is that what you want?

Who's standard do we adopt, and how is that process decided? If a US standard is established for registration, you know it's going to cover other items such as pollution control standards for outboards.

What if the federal government decided to use the smog regulation standard for California and apply it to the other 49 states outboard regulations (because you know California isn't going to relent to a lesser ruling from another state)?

What if every state made you register canoes (and Pond Prowlers, and kayaks, etc...), like the state that Jim B was in?

What if every boat trailer on the road was required to have brakes installed in all 50 states (including jet ski trailers, canoe trailers, jon boat trailers, etc...) ???

Do you really want a nationwide standard? I don't. I'd rather research the states I plan to fish in / tow my boat trailer through, and just buy what I need to buy. We had a similar discussion recently regarding "all boat trailers should come from the factory with side guide-ons". Some people stood by that assertion, and you are all entitled to your opinion and wants. I don't fault you for it, and I respect your opinion. However, when your opinion affects many others that don't feel the same way, simply so that you aren't inconvenienced, then I'll disagree.

A college professor recently made a statement I like:

Your freedom to swing your fist ends just where my nose begins.

Swing away and fight that battle if you want to. Just remember that everyone doesn't feel the same as you do, and they have rights too. They shouldn't have to "take the hit", just because you feel like fighting.

All the best,

Glenn

Yeah...more bureaucratic BS is all I need.

Simpler is always better.

State Laws I understand but, wer're talking boat and trailer registration.

Well... That sometimes happens when you label your post as a "Rant on State Laws for boats", instead of a "Cudo's to Nitro / Tracker". If you start negative, that's normally what people key in on, especially if your Cudo's are only one sentence long after a "rant". :)

All the best,

Glenn

I wanted to rant, but the local dealer was outstanding.

The rant came from trying to buy a used boat rig last year and then the other day a friend bought a rig, in another state and that rig was repo'd by the real owner.

I understand that he should have investigated the paper work, and another

red flag was the used car dealer went out of business two days after he purchased the boat rig.

Glad your dealer took care of the problem cq.

Hate to hear that happened to your friend (or anyone). Hope he can some way recoup his losses.

All the best,

Glenn

Pretty lucky here in Tn just register boat with county agent and get tags and fish. can even do it online no plates for trailer, well good luck to all with the government in our pockets for one thing or another. Too bad all this money that is collected from us boater is never used to improve the launches or docks inour public use areas. ;)

Latest posts

Back