Ran into Rob on Champlain

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Colantonio

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a experience with you all:

Was out fishing on 6-20 on upper champlain. South of mud point. I was fishing in and out just searching. This boat came from across the lake, about a half a mile or so away and stopped about 100 yards away from us. I was heading out, he was by himself holding his ground. I'm kind of not sure what to do so I start a conversation, come to find out it's Rob Lamoy, protecting a hot hole for the BFL on saturday. Of course I backed off after talking with Rob for about 20-30 minutes. I don't know if he fished it saturday, kind of interested how he did on that spot. By the way, north champlain is one great fishery. We fished for a solid week, lost count on how many we caught. No 5lbers smallies, but many over 4lbs. I did manage a 5.2 largemouth.

Going back up for a week the end of July, looking for any advise.

Thanks,

Tony

He finished 12th and earned a check for $388.00. He had about 15lbs, and the winner had 18 something.

come to find out it's Rob Lamoy, protecting a hot hole for the BFL on saturday

Why am I not surprised.

Tex

So let me get this straight - on Lake Champlain, a public waterway, a full day before a tournament is to take place, a participant goes out to "park" his boat over a spot so no one else can fish it? Was he afraid that you were going to "steal" all "his" fish? Was he planning to anchor and sleep there all night?

I know I may ruffle a few feathers on the board here, but that simply doesn't seem right to me. Its one thing if its the day of the tournament and he was the first one there. Etiquette and courtesy would dictate that he has a right to fish that spot for as long as he wanted without interference. But to try to exclude others when the tournament was 24 hours away AND when he wasn't there first just doesn't seem appropriate. I don't care if he was a pro, amateur or the President of the United States. What right does he have to "claim" territory that is in the public realm?

No wonder tournaments are getting flak...

no offense to rob, but when that happens to me on the potomac, there is a good chance the guys protecting the spot will find me there well before they even launch, just so the lesson can be learned.

mike c

HAHA Mike you right there!!!! Come back find out why it is so good and PUMMEL it HAHAHAHAHAH

Rob is a very intense young man. If he was sitting on a spot I doubt it was his best spot. He has a reputation on the lake. Other fisherman on tour mark spots with gps any time they see someone catch a fish or sit on a spot to long. It could have been disinformation?

BF

Based on the reponses could someone please enlighten me as to what was supposedly not acceptable?

"This boat came from across the lake, about a half a mile or so away and stopped about 100 yards away from us. I was heading out, he was by himself holding his ground."

Two things I question:

"100 yards away from us" Is this too close to fish with others?

"I was heading out" Was the person leaving the area?

Just trying to make sure I do not do anything that is not acceptable.

NOBODY owns the water,.........Rob's only mistake was telling Tony he was "protecting a spot"...in other words..."HEY!!..HERE"S MY SPOT!!...THERE"S FISH HEEERREE!!!" Stupid move!!

I'd bet every rod/reel I own, that if Rob wasn't sitting there making it obvious,...Tony would've cruised right on by,..never giving that "spot" a 2nd look.

Lesson to be learned..."Some people are their OWN worst enemy!"

Carry on!!:rolleyes:

DG,

Tournament fishermen are always looking for that "edge" that will get them a check. Many times in many tournaments, tournament fishermen of lesser integrity or just plain lazy, do not want to spend the time to pre-fish and find areas that they will be able to catch fish in a tournament. Many larger tournaments ie., larger payouts have anglers come in from a vast area and therefore, some will not have the time or $$ to pre-fish properly. The way to get around this is to follow locals or other fishermen around and when they see them on fish, they mark a waypoint on their GPS. They will then use that spot in the tournament. Generally, it's called "Spot Jumping". Big to-do lately where the Elites and the FLW had a tournament on the same lake and a lot of spot jumping accusations were flying. Local fishermen also follow the pro's and waypoint their spots to fish later (hopefully). If you are not in a tournament and come upon someone who is, it is a good rule of thumb to give them a cast and a half if not more, leeway...this is not written anywhere it is just curtious. In all reality, you could cast right next to his boat but you're gonna get some flack. There are rules for the anglers in the same tournament on how close they can fish to each other. I've had guys follow me as well as come in on me when fishing but it doesn't bother me. There are some pretty intense confrontations on the Potomac on a very regular basis. Welcome to the wonderful world of competitive fishing and fishing for $$!!

TOXIC

Let's clear the air. I didn't mean for this to turn into a major debate.

My intent was to share a story and find out how Rob did.

Rob never said don't fish here. I could of fished there if I wanted. It boils down to my choice. I'm happy with leaving the area and would do the same again.

I think Rob is a stand up guy and has always been very giving of his knowledge to me over the years. I don't think he ever gives the farm away but he has helped me. I don't know upper champlain that well so any help has been welcomed.

I'm sure Rob had many spots marked with fish. We were heading out from shore, in a searh mode, meaning on the trolling motor looking for smallies on their beds. If they were there I would of seen them. Wind was not blowing, sun was out.

I too doubt it was his best spot, but there were fish there. I fished it sunday and caught several three's.(Brown Tube and Baby Bass Senko) As it turns out not that area but the deepth helped me find other areas that produced good fish. I had a local club tournament, three fish sat and three fish sun, combined 6 fish for both days, I had 19.59lbs for six fish, finished 3rd.

As anyone who knows this lake, it's loaded with fish. Even with no friendship I would of gave way to another fisherman, I guess I'm just a curtious person.

Take Care,

TC

Tony,

Nobody is implying you did anything wrong at all.....We all know Rob and a lot of us have fished with him. I was explaining in general, not refering to either one of you. All's good....:lol:

Did Rob have the pink Berkley hat on?:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Here is the results you were searching for

http://bfl.flwoutdoors.com/tournament.cfm?cid=2&t=results

Mark

Tox,

Thanks for the informative update, it helps me see what I have seen on the lake here on Champlain before touraments. If you are going to fish up here and need a place to stay give me a call.

Tonyc - thanks for your update, Rob is a standup guy I have fished with him a number of times - just did not want to see the thread go the wrong way.

I think Tox explained it well. If I am fishing with a friend just out for a nice day and I see a tournament fisherman working an area I will stay away from him and give him as much room as he needs. There's no rule telling me to do that but it is courteous. On the other hand, if I'm fishing one of my spots and a tournament guy blows in and wants that area, I will NOT move until I'm tired of fishing the area. It's the old, "Hey, I'm fishing a tournament, can I get in there?" I'm lying a little because it really depends on just how politely they do ask.:rolleyes:

Uncle Billy

Brings to mind a funny story from Lake Anna. I was fishing one of my favorite coves with a client and a boat pulled in behind me and started fishing. Anybody that knows me, knows I fish painfully slow. This boat gets closer and closer until they are right off my stern. I look at them and ask if they are in a tournament (the plastic tied to their TM gave them away:lol: ) and told theem to go on around me and that the "sweet spot is about 20 yards ahead. They went around and kept fishing (after thanking me), by the time I got to the spot, they were about 20 feet ahead. My client said that we might as well move because they already fished the spot. I laughed and told him to watch and learn. One cast with a well placed senko and wham!! You shoulda seen the look on their faces!! Brought a 4lber to the boat. The old addage always sings true...."You ain't gonna catch another man's fish"

TOXIC

On edit.....Rob finished 12th. Way to go LaMoist!!:p:lol:

TOXIC catches my fish everytime he comes here....

well at least he tries! lol

I FINALLY got to see Mini get excited. We were fishing a spot and as I pulled a fish in 4 or 5 followed it. In that bunch there was a TOADUS MAXIMUS:lol: Mini was running laps in the boat screaming!!:p:lol::lol: I saw the fish and I'll wager it was a 6 possibly a 7:eek::eek:

TOXIC

This site cracks me up! The way this thread WAS headed is EXACTLY why I don't frequent the site any more. So many bashers ready to jump on someone at the drop of a hat and they'll even provide the hat!

Tony, thanks again. I actually did fish there the next day and as to what I did and/or why, I won't even bother trying to explain or justify my actions. You and I both know what happened and we were both good with it and that is all that matters. NOT the opinions of the Monday morning quarterbacks.

E-mail me and let me know if you got any pike in those spots. I'd like to know because the pike are spotty this year. I just lost a $12 Spro trap to a 20 lb muskie today on Ontario....stupid fish!

Robay,

Chill dude!! That is EXACTLY why people come and stay on this site BECAUSE we don't let posts go that direction. You know that. You also know there are some a-hole tournament anglers out there. Honest question begets honest answer. If we didn't know you the discussion might have been different.:lol: Don't get your nauyga thong in a bunch!!:p Remember, not everybody thinks like a tournament angler.

That being said, I had a boat pull up and corner me with clients last week, I was at the end of a cove and before I could turn around to work my way out, a boat dropped in less than a cast away from me totally cutting me off and trapping me in the small cove. Rather than fish, I pulled up the TM and blasted across the lake to another one of my spots. If he would have showed up over there, I would have had words with him.

TOXIC

C'mon Rob,...HOW MANY YEARS have we been crushing your stones now??? 10-11 ATLEAST!! You can't just walk-away......you've contributed a lot to this site........even an eyebrow if I'm not mistaken!!

Don't take yourself or ANY OF US too seriously......it's all good! Besides,...we're all like your secret tire spot....somedays we're on;)...some days we're off!!:angry:

BTW-How's prison life??

No biggie fellas, believe me I don't let any posts get to my anymore. And this place is NOTHING compared to my co-workers. There ain't nobody that can bust nutz like a NY CO! LOL

Job's good Mac. I just had my first inmate put a "hit" out on me. He's a blood leader or something. Nothing to sweat, he's mostly all talk. Our gangs are nothing like you see on TV out in CA. That's not to say we don't take them seriously, they are dangerous, but most of our violence is inmate on inmate. Coincidentally so is most of the non authorized sexual relations! :lol:

BTW, I rode in Jim Moore's Kitty Cat today.....whoa, what a ride man. Only 19'6" with a 6" jack plate but did she ever tame the waves and barge wakes. And when you hit one, there is no rattles, groans, creaks, etc. It was my ride in a Cat and I have to give props (not SS ones!) to BassCat, they do make one awesome boat. I know Ranger has the highest resale but Cats can't be very far behind. Fit and finish is as good as Ranger's and everyone knows how devoted I am to Ranger. But I can't make it out to be any less than it is. :cool:

Back