Rain Gear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Walls

Reaction score
I finally had my rain suit cleaned (washed per label instructions) and the label did not say I should do anyting more, such as apply waterproofer etc????

Any suggestions from the gallery as to what you guys/gals do when you clean yours?

Randy!

Thats all you need to do. There is a product called RENEW that is sold at BPS that you can spray on after wash and before dry that will bead water again. It is not needed but it does make the gear a bit lighter when wet.

Yes it is Gortex. It is already dry. Just not familiar enough with this stuff to know if I took a coating off by washing it. Thought with the care label that if I needed to do anything else it would have told me.

Thanks!

There is no "coating" to Goretex. Its a membrane. The coating applied (and you can reapply) is just to bead water to keep the exterior fabric from becoming saturated. The Goretex membrane will still keep you dry once the coating is worn off.

Sport Wash is also good for washing Goretex clothing and other fabrics with a waterproof membrane in them.

Randy - Tech Wash by Nikwax is good stuff. Standard detergents can leave residues that will clog the pores of gore-tex leaving it less breathable. Tech Wash will clean gore-tex garments of dirt AND detergent residues but leave it as breathable (and waterproof) as before. I've been using it for close to 15 years on all my performance ski gear and it works well. Because its work gear, its used hard (my stuff typically lasts only about three seasons before it needs to be replaced). Tech Wash definitely keeps it clean without degrading performance.

I use the Nikwax products too. The stuff they sell to recoat the outside works really well. When it wears off my suite gets waterlogged and really heavy to wear, dry but heavy. Recoating it really helps a lot.

Thanks guys, I have found a local supplier from the web site and may get over and get some this weekend!

Randy!

Latest posts

Back