2016 Z21 Getting Water In Front Compartments

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KS1

Reaction score
Took my Z21 to the BPS in Broken Arrow for service. Water is getting in both rod boxes and the three storage compartments onthe front deck. Other issues needed fixed also. Boat has been there three weeks. Got a call that it was ready. I asked about the water issue and was told they can’t do anything about the water in my compartments. They don’t know where it’s coming from and said I just have to live with it. My rod handles have mold on them. My tackle bags have mold on them. Everything in those compartments gets wet. I can’t even carry a rain suit up front because it gets wet. This even happens when the factory Nitro cover is on the boat. I called Tracker Marine and the lady told me there is no way water can get in those compartment but I should keep the drains clean. Drains? I don’t care about the drains. Water should not be getting in those compartments. They are advertised as water tight compartments but I guess that’s not the case. Any suggestions on how to fix this other than sell the boat and buy a different brand from a dealer with better service?

Took my Z21 to the BPS in Broken Arrow for service. Water is getting in both rod boxes and the three storage compartments onthe front deck. Other issues needed fixed also. Boat has been there three weeks. Got a call that it was ready. I asked about the water issue and was told they can’t do anything about the water in my compartments. They don’t know where it’s coming from and said I just have to live with it. My rod handles have mold on them. My tackle bags have mold on them. Everything in those compartments gets wet. I can’t even carry a rain suit up front because it gets wet. This even happens when the factory Nitro cover is on the boat. I called Tracker Marine and the lady told me there is no way water can get in those compartment but I should keep the drains clean. Drains? I don’t care about the drains. Water should not be getting in those compartments. They are advertised as water tight compartments but I guess that’s not the case. Any suggestions on how to fix this other than sell the boat and buy a different brand from a dealer with better service?

Talked to the manager at the service center. Manager said they are going to fix the issue one way or another.

Talked to the manager at the service center. Manager said they are going to fix the issue one way or another.
I always find moisture/water at the back deck of the boat when I have my cover on, but not in the compartments. I live in Vegas, so not much humidity here, but can assume that it is much higher where you live.

Couple of thoughts/ideas...I always have my drainage plug open when boat is parked. Make sure your boat is as level side to side. If you have extra storage totes (full of fishing gear) like most of us, use your boat to store under cover to keep your boat cover tight so rain runs off and doesn't pool on the cover and drip onto front deck and storage drawers. If you have a dirt spot on your cover, chances are its pooling and dripping through. Not sure if your cover extends below your bumper guard or not. If not, you may want to run thin bead of clear silicone caulking, if necessary. Once you get a period of dry weather and compartments are dried out, you may want to start the trial and error process with your garden hose, soaking parts of your cover until you find the issue. Put down newspaper on the deck to spot it the leak/dripping. May be tough to spot on the carpet. The good news is that you will have a couple totes worth of open space in your garage to buy more gear. Good luck.

I made a pole that stands on my from deck out of PVC that hole the cover up. I place it just behind the front seat hole so water doesn't pool on the cover. When I did this the front deck stays dry. Not sure if this is your issue but it is a cheap attempt. I worked well for me.

I do hope they find the issue and solve it for you KS1. Strange, I've never had any of my 3 Nitro boats get wet while covered and mine live outside under the cover, plus I trailer them covered everywhere I go. Granted, I don't have the standard Nitro cover and opted to have custom covers made for each, as they have a dozen tie-down straps on it. When covered, I just put the bicycle seat up front on the short post, and in the back the folding seat with the back up, no post. The cover has always fit over those the height of the pitch has always done the job in any kind of rain or weather. Funny, it is just about the only time the seats are in the boat too. Expensive props but hey, they came with it :cool:

I just bought a 2015 Z9 in September. I have had it in the garage since January. I noticed the last couple of weeks that the starboard side front compartment holds water near the console. No where else and It has not been rained on in 2 weeks but water is still there. No where else is there water. I vaccumed it up and the next day it seemed like it was just as soaked.

Just came home and checked the other compartments and the front compartment has water in it.

I just bought a 2015 Z9 in September. I have had it in the garage since January. I noticed the last couple of weeks that the starboard side front compartment holds water near the console. No where else and It has not been rained on in 2 weeks but water is still there. No where else is there water. I vaccumed it up and the next day it seemed like it was just as soaked.

Just came home and checked the other compartments and the front compartment has water in it.
Have you figured this out yet?

Did you figure this out yet? Holding water can lead to a bunch of issues that I personally do not want to deal with in my Z16!
Is it as simple as blowing out all drain holes?
Sure like to know.....Bobby

Latest posts

Back