PT185 TM breakers?

• Thread starter Richard Ehlers (SevenPin)
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Ehlers (SevenPin)

Reaction score
Well, I am putting the Genesis out to pasture. Just could not get it to power back up even tho I had plenty of juice at the motor. Picked up a MK 65AT last night at BPS. I believe the PT 185 is wired 12/24V since there is a orange w/ blue stripe and black w/ blue stripe wiring un-used back by the batteries. I'm thinking of converting the wiring to straight 24V, replacing the TM plug, and putting a jumper at the batteries. But I need to check to see how the bow fishfinder is wired. I hope it wasn't using the TM power. My question is about the two breakers / resets on the driver's side by the throttle. I would guess these need to be "upgraded" or do I take them out and put in "real" breakers back by the batteries? Thanks.

I took them out and replaced the panel. I was told to use a 50 amp automatic resetting breaker and place it as close to the TM as possible so I put it under the bow panel. There are plenty of good places to secure it up there.

Unless the previous owner of your boat was a complete moron (which is possible I guess) the bow finder should be wired to it's own circuit. There is an extra wire up there just for that sort of thing.

Harpo

Harpo - Doh! I forgot that the FF leads in the back of the boat are tied to the cranking battery. The FF is tied to the wiring harness up front but I guess it's possible that they were wired wrong (looks like it was done in the factory so I should be okay but I'll check with the voltmeter anyway ;-) ). Thanks.

Also, sorry to hear of your loss. We've (my family) have lost my wife's Father, and two family pets in the last month and a friend I ride the bus with has lost a Grandfather and an Uncle. Needless to say, it has not been a good Spring. Hang in there. He will soon be in a far better place that this world just as my Father In-law is now.

Rick

I just installed a new MK55AT to replace the MG that came on my PT185. I ran new #6 cable from the MK back to the TM battery and installed a manual reset CB at the battery and bypassed the factory CB's at the panel by the throttle.

Sam - I need to visit the local BPS repair shop and pick up a manual to verify what size of wiring I have in my PT185. I was hoping to not install new but it may be better in the long run (pun intended) - more power to the TM and longer battery life.

You won't believe this but I grew up in Hartford City. What lakes do you normally fish? I get back every so often, maybe we can fish together sometime?

Thanks.

Richard, I think you have 8ga wire. You really should upgrade to the 6ga. The CB's you have are probably 30 amp. I got my 50 amp manual reset circuit breaker from Fosters Trolling Motor Repair in Louisiana, $20 plus shipping.

I live north of Muncie and fish all around Indiana. Mississinewa, Salamonie, and Huntington Reservoirs, Summit Lake near New Castle, Prairie Creek near Muncie, a lot of the Northern Indiana Lakes. Get to Monroe, Patoka and the strip pits a couple of times a year. Was just down to Patoka this past Friday. Boated a 6-11 and a 5-6 LMB.

If you ever get back to this area give me a holler and we'll wet a line together, telephone number is in the book or on the web.

Latest posts

Back