propeller spin while towing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
I just read in the grab bag to put the boat in forward while towing.I assume this keeps the prop from spinning.Does anybody do this?This is the only time Ive heard of this problem.Any input on this,guys?

I know my boat manual says to do it. I have been putting in forward. Does it make a difference?.....no idea. I would assume on a very long trip, and if the prop got to spinning in the wind, it could heat up something in there.

I put that grab bag item together and consolidated quite a few lists. The source for that particular time was (I believe) my Mercury outboard manual. I'd go check, but it's in my truck and my truck is at the dealership having an idle air control motor replaced.

If memory serves me correctly, the reason for locking the outboard in gear (either forward or reverse) is to prevent the water pump impeller from spinning without being cooled by a flow of liquid around it. At highway speeds, a spinning prop can do damage to your drivetrain.

Mo that is exactly why...to keep the peop from spinning...I don't think the pump impeller is spinning when the prop spins... I believe the water pump is attached to the shaft before the gearcase...but it is to prevent the prop from spinning becasue that could cause problems in the gearcase..

Besides, if the truck is going forward and the prop is spinning backwards it'll only slow you down!

Thanks, Bob. I got out and read my SEALOC Mercury repair manual and realized that the prop spinning wouldn't turn the impeller. What a dumn thing to think.

However, I got my truck back and looked through the Mercury operator's manual. On page 34, it says, "Shift the outboard to forward gear. This keeps the propeller from spinning." I guess only Mercury knows why it should be done.

MO

One thing I just thought of... When I have just powered onto the trailer I shut the engine off while it is in gear... So, I am always leaving it in gear... Then I put it in neutral when I get ready to start it again...

Latest posts

Back