Prop Issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Jacobs

Reaction score
Just bought a 2003 700LX with a Merc 90. Took it out this weekend and had some troubling results from the boat. Hoping there are some ideas on the forum to get the boat performing.

First- After getting the boat to plane I slowly started bringing the engine tilt up from all the way down. At full power 4,000rpm and the tilt at 1/4 getting a whopping 25mph. When I bring the tilt up more, the bow will hit the water lightly at first then escalating into bigger hits (bouncing) to the point I have to power down.

Second-The boat pulls to the right heavily (not sure if this is normal) If I let loose on the steering colum the boat would turn sharply to the right. Also the boat on plane tends to lean to the right. I have to drastically turn left then correct to get the boat to level out.

The boat was bought in Tennesee and brought to Utah. The prop is a 4 blade not sure the pitch. I'm wondering if the elevation change from 1,000ft to 7,000ft would cause prop and engine problems.

Is any of this common? Is there a solution?

Thanks for any help.

Get rid of that 4 blade pig and put and 21 or 22 pitch 3 blade....find someone that will let you try out a good stainless prop before you buy....most will accomadate:cool:

There may be several issues causing it. Some of them are:

1) Where is the tab pointing on the engine? Is it kicked far to one side?

2) What is your loadout? Most common "performance" problem I see is that people don't load their boat evenly.

3) How big are you? Sorry to ask, but it's a neccessary question. I once fished with a fellow that caused some "performance" issues. Fairly nice guy, but he took up the entire passenger seat, and part of the center seat in my boat, and he bought 3 times as much tackle and rods than I had as a boater. When we "blasted off" during a Redman tournament, my 17 foot boat / 120 hp engine took FOREVER to get on plane, and was leaning heavily to the left. He actually looked at me and said "what's wrong with your boat". I had to bite my toungue for a while, but when he persisted, I had to tell him that my boat wasn't used to having that much additional weight on the passenger side. He just kind of sheepishly said, "oh. sorry." Top speed that day - about 40mph, and it was a bear to handle - pulled left all day long, especially coming off of plane.

4) What hole is the engine set to now on the transom?

5) Pitch of the prop? It should be written somewhere on the hub, most likely around the area where the nut secures it to the prop shaft.

6) Is the engine centered correctly? I know most of them are spot on, but just for grins get a tape measure and check from one side to that top bolt, and then from the other side to that top bolt.

7) What's the skeg look like? Is it bent?

8) And hull damage that you can see, particularly in the stern area?

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks for all of your help. I have aquired a new 18 Pitch Vengence Prop. I've talked to several shops here locally and they recommended a 17 to 18 pitch with the high mountain lakes. They also said to try a hydrofoil to help get on plane.

As for the bouncing since I'm a rookie boater I was taking the trim up too high. Boat is pretty much empty with equipment just some reels, average tackle and some safety equipment. Livewells were empty with a 3/4 to 1/4 tank.

Yes I am a big guy at 280 I quickly realized after one spin that I needed someone in the other seat so only hope to cruise alone is trim tabs in the back? Has anyone ever put them on a small Nitro?

The engine is in the 3rd hole from the top.

Old pitch was the Hi-Tech 4 Blade stamped with 24 and 30 so assuming it has two pitches? But the new one will be a three blade 18p.

Measured engine and it's centered no hull damage and the skeg is centered and no damage.

Going back up to the lake this weekend for a new test drive.

Thanks for the help,

John

Latest posts

Back