problem with Humminbird Wide 3D Paramount on Tracker Pro 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hartman

Reaction score
OK, guys, I think I know what you're gonna tell me from searching previous posts, but here goes.

Last year my uncle and I bought a Tracker 175 and took off the cheapo Humminbird 100 and replaced it with a Wide 3d Paramount that we were using on his '79 model tracker. While on the old boat we had no problems with the unit.

On the 175, the finder seems to work well while trolling which is mostly when we're using it, although lately we've developed a bad fogging problem. However, at low speeds, say 10-20+ MPH, not only does the finder stop working, it locks up completely and we can't even turn it off with the power button. We actually have to remove it from the base and re-seat it to work again. We just started turning it off before we start the outboard. This doesn't happen on the old '79 boat we still have. I've double checked all the cables, tried adjusting the transducer (which I got directly from HB), everything I can think based on various pieces of info I've found. Nothing I've done has helped. It's currently connected to the cranking battery (also where the on-board charger is connected) and I've even contemplated hooking it to a standalone battery to see if it's a power/voltage problem but haven't tried that yet.

I've read articles at other sites about the fogging problem and about wattage problems with HB transducers. I'm starting to lose faith in HB because this unit is only about 3 years old and we've treated it well. It just doesn't seem to be holding up. I haven't contacted them about this problem yet but the last time I called they provided no options other than over $150 to repair or replace. I'll put that much toward a new one of a different brand, thank you very much.

Provided you all tell me that I just need to switch brands, and that I would like to stay in the $200-$300 range or less, what would you suggest. Thanks for the info.

...BillH

You've said it works well on the other boat ... is it hooked directly to the cranking battery there also? Sounds like a noise problem. Electrical spikes disrupting operation. You may want to consider a 'house' battery for all of your accessories, leaving your cranking battery just for your engine.

Kathy

Yeah, it's connected to the cranking battery on the old boat but that old '79 merc doesn't act as a charger. It is too old for that feature. We only have the HB connected to the cranking battery now because that's how it came from the tracker dealer. We need to add some extensions to move it over on the other one, which indeed might help resolve the problem.

...BillH

BillH,

Since your Humminbird 3D Paramount worked on the older boat that had a motor without a charging system, I would also suspect that the problem is electrical or RF interference from the newer boat/motor combination. Your best option may be to run the depth sounder off of a separate battery but before doing so, try these things:

1.) Make sure that the new motor is using a resistor type spark plug. Most boat motors come with these installed from the factory but it won

Latest posts

Back