Pop-ups

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
EVER TIME I GET ON THE INTERNET I GET A BAZILLION POP-UPS...I'VE INSTALLED A POP-UP BLOCKER (CHECK IT 86...IT WAS ON MY ISP PAGE (COX.NET)...IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. WHEN I FIRST GET ONLINE AND IT OPENS MY HOMEPAGE I GET AT LEAST 5...BY THE TIME THEY ARE ALL UP MY COMPUTER HAS FROZEN AND IT TAKES FOREVER TO GET THEM TO LEAVE...I USUALLY JUST PRESS CTRL ALT DELETE AND CLOSE EVERYTHING AND REOPEN INTERNET EXPLORER...THEN ITS OK FOR A LIL BIT..THEN WHEN I TYPE A WEBSITE...MORE COME UP. I'M SO TIRED OF THESE THINGS....ALSO EVERYTIME I TURN MY COMPUTER ON I GET THIS "WHEN U SEARCH TOOLBAR" AT THE BOTTOM OF MY SCREEN...I'VE UNISTALLED IT A LOT..BUT ITS ALWAYS BACK. ALSO WHEN I DO A SEARCH BY JUST TYPING SOMETHING IN THE ADDRESS BOX IT'S NOT THE SAME SEARCH ENGINE...ITS NOW SOME ADVERTISEMENT..HOW DO I GET IT BACK TO MY NORMAL SEARCH ENGINE?

THANKS

BJ

BJ,

Try downloading Ad-aware and running it. It will take a while to run the first time, but worth it. It is free and will eliminate most of the programs that cause the pop-ups. For a pop-up blocker, I use KillAd, also free. Someone recently posted the same problem about the toolbar, but I don't remember who.

Rich D

What homepage do you use? I know some of them are infested with popups. I use the Google News page for home as well as Google for search engine. It's a very very clean site regarding popups, cookies, and spyware.

Below is the Popup blocker I use. Download it and give it a try, it's free. It gets about 99% of the popups. I tried the one that Cox provides and didn't care for it.

If I were you I would also download the spyware blocker and run a scan for that as well. Do you have an up to date virus protection?

Harpo

BTW Andy and I went out to Hefner this morning. Didn't even get the boat wet. The wind had the lake all chopped up plus it was drizzeling rain and cold so we went and ate some breakfast instead.
http://www.safeguardprotect.com/Products/?product=Popup&view=Overview

Thanks harpo, its almost like fall out there...you'd almost need a jacket going across the lake on plane!

also...this is bad...i don't have any virus protection...i haven't put it back on since my computer probs back in May.

I'll run the spyware and get the different pop up blocker.

Thanks

BJ

Im running ad-aware right now and i've got the new pop-up blocker...it seems to be working a little bit better

BJ

BJ,

Ad-aware, Bazooka, and Spybot are all good for finding any ad-ware you may have picked up.I scan with all three.Sometimes one will pick something up that the others overlook.

BJ.....popups are there because microc**p allows them. I have not had a single pop-up in over a year and a half. That's when I started using Mozilla for my browser. It completely eliminates the darn things. The speed of the browser is unreal. If a page I visit a lot has a billboard ad on it, I simply right-click and tell it to block ads from this server. Don't have to have the add-ons that the other guys recommended. best part of it is.....Mozilla is FREE!!

Go to google and click on the install google tool bar, it gives you a great pop-up blocker. Works really well. Just remember though, there are times when you want to click on a pop-up link purposely, it will not work unless you hold the ctrl key down while you hit it. Good luck.

And stop visiting BFHP without a pop-up blocker or you'll have the same problem again very soon.

Install the Google toolbar and enable their pop-up blocker. It will take car of most of it. As Carl also said above.

Tex

Ok i now have 3 pop-up blockers..

The one from Cox, the one harpo mentioned, and now the google toolbar. I did get one pop-up this morning when i got on...but its better than 5 that freeze my computer up for a few minutes.

I'm going to get those other ad-ware scanners to...right now i just have the ad-aware.

Thanks again guys

BJ

oh also...why is the "weather by zip" and the "your name or alias" and "your email address"....their boxes are yellow...

That's google. It has the ability to remember items that you frequently type in (like zip codes, name, alias, email, etc. You can turn it on or off as you like. Makes it quick to enter info.

Suggestion is to turn off all but the google blocker, and see how it does. No need wasting 'resources' having three running. Same goes if you actually like one of the other two you installed.

Tex

Thanks tex...but i've never used the weather by zip before

BJ

You ought to try it, it's pretty good. It links to the Weather Channel. It has an hourly forcast that's pretty good. I also use the KFOR channel 4 weather dohickey too. It has the best radar.

STAY AWAY FROM WEATHERBUG!!! Spyware city.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back