POP goes the Fuse

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Got back Sunday, turned crossways in my cul-de-sac to put the boat in the driveway and........no go. I'm thinking oh no, I fried a hub so I get out and feel the hubs.....all cool. I reach under the trailer toungue and hit the manual release and get it back about 10 feet before it locks up again. After some jockeying, I get it in and then I think to my self waite a minute, so I put the emergency brake on, drop it in reverse and go to the back,....sure enough, no back up lights. Get into the fuse panel and find the fuse blown. This trailer has been in the water (with me) about a dozen times and this is the first time this has happened. The clear back up lights on the trailer are cooked (have been since I got it) and I have ordered some from Craig but I thought it was because my partner had his pigtail wired wrong (turn left blinker on ---right trailer blinks). He told me he was blowing fuses in his truck (I don't know which ones). You guys think I am looking at trailer wiring problems? Or..was this just a freak occurance?

TOXIC

Sounds like a short to me. My lights all work fine during the day, signals, stop etc. Out on the running lights and the whole trailer lights up and looks fine, BUT, hit the brakes while the running lights are on and one trailer light gets brighter like it should, but the other dimmer. It's a short I haven't been able to locate in 2 years. I just drive it now, but sounds like you need a fix.

Was supposed to say TURN on the running lights....out???? don't know where that came from.

My 901's trailer use to pop fuses all the time too...don't know what the problem was...one of my trailers back up lights is toasted...has been since day 1....replaced it 3 times....it blew 3 times....after the last time i just left it "blown!"..it's deffinetely not wired right cuz it got so hot it melted the clear lens cover!! LOL...

I haven't blown anymore fuses in my truck lately though...but it use to blow the "running lights" fuse all the time!! Had one of the service techs go through it one time when i had it in last summer and he found several "potential" trouble spots where the wiring was getting chaffed and he taped over it....haven't blown a fuse since then!! Look under your trailer and check the wiring from tongue to tail lights...you'll see where it runs in and out of the trailer and over and under brackets and it's not protected by grommets or anything....need to tape the heck out of those areas to keep them from rubbing through! It's not just you...it's poor design!!

Mac

Well, the only thing that has me thinking is that on that same fuse is the Overdrive override and the BDL (Backup Door Locks) and the door thing has not been working exactly right. You can be driving down the road and the doors will lock (supposed to do it when you first drop it in reverse and let off the brake). SOOOOOO, I'm hoping it could have been a weak fuse. Time will tell!!

TOXIC

Could be,...but I'd still take an hour and go over your wiring end to end!! All it takes is one little spot to rub through and it'll cause you all kinds of headaches!!

Do a little "pre-emptive" maintenance and save yourself the hassles of blown fuses and no lights,..when it's DARK!!..LOL

FYI, Earlier this year I kept blowing the fuse in my truck for the trailer running lights and found that mice had camped out in the trailer and chewed the insulation down to the bare wires. Whenever one of the wires would touch the frame, the fuse would blow. I pulled out the whole harness for both sides and replaced it. Bought the new harnesses at the local automotive store. The Y-harness with 5 prong connector is also available at www.easternmarine.com for $18. They also carry the full line of Wesbar lights that are used on our trailers. I have not ordered from them yet, but found the site when I thought I needed new lights.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Eastern Marine in any manner.

Bob G.

On my last boat I had so many problems with the wiring running through the trailer frame rails that I moved it to the outside. I used plastic channel that you find at hardware stores to run light cords up walls in your home. It already has stick-um on one side to hold it to the frame and an openning along one edge so that you don't have to feed the wires through.

Didn't have a single problem after that.

me!

Rob: Yours sounds like a ground problem that can be either at the light or at the trailer to truck connection. An easy test for a trailer to truck ground failure it with eveything hooked up and working the way it does now. Take a pair of jumper cables and run them from a ground on your truck to a ground on your trailer. If problem is fixed them all you need to do is clean up the ground connections on your truck and trailer. Tox replace the fuse in the truck with the trailer un hooked and try the back-up lights then. Mine had a short in the trailer adapter (on the truck) that was shorting out the fuse...I love electrical propblems they is so much fun..Don't ya think.....LOL

BF

I, on the other hand HATE electrical problems LOL!!. Well, I replaced the fuse (trailer unhooked) and r-lights work fine. I was gonna lay on the cold hard ground and do a little wire run searching (per Mac) but virtually all is inside the trailer (thanks for the jinx Scott). Since it was the reverse lights that shorted, I'm hoping that by replacing the burned out back-up lights on the trailer (thanks for the jinx Mac) and using a little electrical grease, it'll solve my problem. Hey, at least I know the brakes are working!! The water at my marina is so low now, the tounge and pigtail never get near the water when I launch so that helps me narrow it down to the back of the trailer (I think). Did I say I HATE electrical problems!!

TOXIC

Toxic,

Bring your trailer up to VT after Xmas and we can fix up your electrical problems in a heated garage!! Hopefully you'll get it figured out.

Bob G.

No Way!! You got mice in your garage!! Leave a cup of anti-freeze out, that'll take care of them!! As well as any stray cats and dogs!! Gotta be careful. Besides, your water get's real hard waaay before x-mas. Me and Carlos will still be rippin lips (albeit with heavy coats on!!)

TOXIC

Tox,

Is that an invite :) I have cold weather gear already. I am ready for the catfish at power plant at Possum Point in December/January. :)

Carlos

Always open Carlos,but you are still on the hook for my striper trip LOL!! Let me know what your schedule is like, my fishing partner (non work) just had surgery on his casting arm (this guy throws harder than anyone I have ever seen) and is out for a long while. Largemouth are starting to move shallow in Anna (last week caught them all in 3 ft. or LESS) up the river feeders. I've got to take an outdoor writer out Friday on the Potomac, he is going to do 3 stories on me and my partner. Other than that, it looks like I will be solo.

TOXIC

Tox,

Where ya going on the Potomac? I am not sure when I get off this Friday. We are doign a live fire and movement range. Is fun :) Using shotguns. I am still looking at taking you, but......school has pretty much killed my free time. Found out that I am to go TAD to Alabama for a week also, from the 17-22 of Nov. Jeese...... Stripers getting frisky there now?

Carlos

Carlos,

Striper bite is on at Anna, I don't target them much. I might jump a few schools if I see them. Going out of Belle Haven on the mighty Potomac. Late tide Friday so probably won't put in till 7 or 8am. Supposed to be warm this weekend. That might spark a big bite at the lake. I'm off Monday also, so I might sneak out then. Don't worry, we'll hook up either back at Anna or on the Potomac.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back